1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

The US Government's Drug War

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Cracked Ass, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass 12oz Veteran Member

The US Government's Drug War

Discussion started by Cracked Ass - Mar 31, 2002

One of the rare times I'm ashamed to be an American is when I think about our bizarre, draconian, hypocritical, surrealist drug war. I'm not sure there is a bigger American government folly than its drug policy. It ensures high crime rates, fills prisons with ordinary people whose personal habits have been criminalized, and makes us look like two-faced assholes around the world. (Particularly when the top man in charge is an ex-coke user.)
    The USA drug demand is about the highest in the world, geographically speaking. Yet there we are in South America running missions to defoliate fields and harass drug lords, who are only filling the market demand for these substances. The market exists BECAUSE drugs are illegal. That means risk is involved at every level from production to distribution, so the prices are high. Since the financial rewards of drug dealing are so high, there will always be people willing to risk any degree of lawbreaking to get a cut of those funds. If the risk goes up, so do the prices, and in turn the rewards and therefore the incentives. So there is no anti-drug policy that can ever work in the real world.
    What harm do drugs cause EXTRINSIC of the culture of crime that operates around them due to their illegality? Well, they are a health hazard. Overdoses of harder drugs can be fatal. Chronic use of various drugs increases incidence of depression, cancer, and a slew of medical problems. Lives that are not lost outright can be wasted or ruined by addiction.
    Two points: One, those problems already exist despite the illegality of drugs. Two, those problems already exist (at a higher incidence than that for all illegal drug users combined) for users of alcohol, which is regulated but not prohibited.
    The solution is obvious: LEGALIZE DRUGS, at least to the degree currently permitted for alcohol use.
    THE PROS OF LEGALIZATION.
    -Crimes associated with drug use decline (robbing to support a habit).
    -Crimes associated with drug dealing decline (murder, robbery).
    -Enormous financial savings are realized by the government, which no longer has to fund foolish paramilitary missions in drug-producing countries, expensive border and domestic interdiction operations, etc. Several agencies could be outright disbanded, and the fewer responsibilities remaining could be delegated to a smaller number of existing agencies.
    -Enormous financial savings are realized at the federal, state, and municipal level, since almost two-thirds of the prison population can be released. (That's the percentage of inmates currently incarcerated for drug crimes.)
    -US farmers can again grow hemp, an enormously useful crop in capacities unrelated to marijuana production: textiles, fiber technology, as an alternative energy resource, etc. These uses are well documented elsewhere; an internet search for pro-hemp sites can provide greater detail on the usefulness of hemp. (Some of the Founding Fathers farmed hemp.)
    -The massive price drop in drugs will put many foreign cartels out of business, with the potential to improve government stability in former drug producing countries, and repair the US image in countries where our drug war policy shows us to be hypocrites.
    -At home, the government will repair its image with its own people, particularly younger generations, for having the integrity and intelligence to abandon ludicrously expensive and ineffectual policies which foster disrespect, distrust, fear and anger toward the government.
    -The financial savings of legalization will be so enormous that there will be more than enough money to allocate toward assisting with any unforeseen problems of legalization. For example, the savings would easily fund the construction and staffing of top-notch drug rehab centers in every major city for starters, and plenty more could be allocated for REALISTIC, TRUTHFUL drug education in schools nationwide.
    -If the government is still not happy with the amount of money saved, it can always make more by regulating and taxing various substances, though I don't advocate this.
    THE "PHANTOM" CON OF LEGALIZATION
    Opponents of legalization usually raise this fear right away: legalization will create a massive, rampant epidemic of drug use in the population, especially youth. This can't happen. Drugs are already so widely and readily available that anyone who wants to try them can obtain them - indeed, they already have. The USAGE epidemic is already about as bad as it would get - which is a testament to the failure of the current policies. Any threat of an increase in drug use can be combatted much more cost-effectively via funding for drug education and rehab centers.
    Nobody wants to see MORE people using drugs. That is not the goal of legalization, nor would it be its effect. The current policy is a miserable and expensive failure, and should be replaced. Even if every dollar saved during legalization had to go to help alleviate new problems caused by legalization, the approach (more education and treatment, less prisoners and crime) would be far more humane.

Cracked Ass - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  2. some pittsburgh flavor

some pittsburgh flavor 12oz Elite Member

some pittsburgh flavor - Replied Mar 31, 2002

just wait till i am president of the universe..... the day will come....

some pittsburgh flavor - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  3. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

Smart - Replied Mar 31, 2002

I'm out the door at the moment, but I WHOLE-HEARTEDLY AGREE!

I would like to point out that in countries where legalization has been implemented, the rise in drug use was marginal in the beginning and followed by a decline in ALL cases...

Smart - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  4. B_As_In_Bot

B_As_In_Bot 12oz Elite Member

B_As_In_Bot - Replied Mar 31, 2002

deja vu.
    eatmoreglue and I went over almost all the same things in thread made long ago, talking about how legalization could potentially stimulate the economy. The war on drugs is definitley a joke. But because politicians years ago made marijuana illegal its worth more to the united states government then ever, being illegal. Its an asset to them.

I mean once its legalized, there will be so much more of it at a lower price. Heres an interesting comparison: DeBeers (the diamond company) within I think the last 10 years or something found something good in the Russian Federation. Diamonds, grips of diamonds. So they bought all this shit out and now have complete control. They chose to do nothing with it, I mean why should they tell the world about all these diamonds? It would only lessen the value of their product.

We all know how badly coporate entities overshadow politics, do you think any corporate-government would ever be like: Okay lets make it legal, lessen the value, increase the supply and lose money?

its still something to fight for though, as soon as enough people open their minds..

B_As_In_Bot - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  5. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass 12oz Veteran Member

Cracked Ass - Replied Mar 31, 2002

Of course. So the government's surreal stance that the drug war is the way to go can be interpreted 2 ways: one, as sheerest incompetence; or two, having the ulterior motives of profit, keeping the public scared and oppressed, etc. They are either pathetically stupid, or sinisterly smart and corrupt.

Cracked Ass - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  6. B_As_In_Bot

B_As_In_Bot 12oz Elite Member

B_As_In_Bot - Replied Mar 31, 2002

its a little from column A, and a lot from column B, cracked..

B_As_In_Bot - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  7. REGULATOR

REGULATOR 12oz Elite Member

REGULATOR - Replied Mar 31, 2002

stupid 60 year old white politicians.....

REGULATOR - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  8. 23578

23578 12oz Elite Member

23578 - Replied Mar 31, 2002

When you are told what to do everyday for sixty years you start echoing it. There are facets of our government and our society which would no longer exist if the drug war was ended. That's scary for people. It's time for most of them to start thinking for themselves for once. What If?

23578 - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  9. Poop Man Bob

Poop Man Bob Dirty Dozen Crew

Poop Man Bob - Replied Mar 31, 2002

First off, I largely agree with what you said. The drug war has proven to be ineffectual at what it's stated purpose is - to eliminate drug use in the US.

The main problem I see with your statements is what I quoted above. Eliminating bureaucratic agencies at a national level is ALWAYS a difficult task to achieve ... but you may be asking the impossible when you say that several agencies could be completely disbanded. When it comes down to it, the people with positions within the agencies, those responsible for answering to them, and the politicians that look good in supporting them will fight to the death for the survival of their respective agencies - especially the big ones. Often times, as you said, agencies can redirect their focus ... perhaps to the rehabilitation of drug use rather than its outright elimination. This, however, would require a complete restructuring of the said agencies - another thing they will predictably resist.

Unfortunately, I see it as a matter of jobs. As long as the US employs a hell of a lot of people dedicated to eliminating drug use, programs supporting just that will continue to exist.

Poop Man Bob - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  10. graffsurgeon

graffsurgeon Banned

graffsurgeon - Replied Mar 31, 2002

infrared drug drone flys over southern maine every other night around 9 through 11 pm. i saw it from the bottom last night..it was like rectangular sphere shape..shit was fucked up. like 200 feet up in the sky. whats going on here?

graffsurgeon - Rank: Banned - Messages:
  11. beard

beard Guest

beard - Replied Mar 31, 2002

12. graffsurgeon

graffsurgeon Banned

graffsurgeon - Replied Mar 31, 2002

yeah..something like that.

graffsurgeon - Rank: Banned - Messages:
  13. Ted Wakowski

Ted Wakowski Guest

Ted Wakowski - Replied Mar 31, 2002

I think one of the main problems might lead back to prison industry lobbyists and campaign contributors. Illegal drugs have become the bread and butter of their business.

There's also the question of what effect domestic legalization of all drugs would have globally, considering other countries who's policies remain the same.

Not that our gov't doesn't already have its hands dirty...

14. High Priest

High Priest 12oz Elite Member

High Priest - Replied Apr 1, 2002

I didnt bother reading anything posted... but on th same topic of U.S. policies did any one see that issue of maxim a while back (they did this in bizarre also) where they linked Racial tension and Sexual "deviance"
    ( freud had this on lock a while a go ) to drug contrabans?

heres a direct quote wich was cosiderd substantial cause for review by congress:" cocaine is often the direct incentive of rape by the negroes"

hm.....

High Priest - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  15. Xeroshoes

Xeroshoes 12oz Senior Member

Xeroshoes - Replied Apr 1, 2002

Mr. Ass already went over this...

Xeroshoes - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages: