Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

the untruths and ignorance behind specism.

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Agt. Adopus, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Agt. Adopus

Agt. Adopus Junior Member

To uphold a specist view is not much different then upholding a sexist or classist view. Sexists for example believe that men are greater then then women because of there strength, ability to partake in sports, etc . Classists believe a group of people should be in control and be honored, respected and treated greater because there class and economic status.
    Anyone in there right minds would think that is wrong, but I ask, were do either prejudices differ from specism.

The idea behind specism is valuing human life over non human animal life, because of brain development. Specists claim that the human brain is more advanced and can reason greater, and because of that they believe a human can suffer greater then a non human animal can. Human beings have stronger emotional capablities then non human animals, but how can we use emotional capabilities and reasoning to judge suffering and physical pain. Specists use such arguments to justify animal exploitation. But if specists use reasoning and emotional capabilities to justify animal exploitation, based on the animals intellectual and emotional capablitites then they must not have a problem with say chemical testing on a severly retarded man or a infant, the retarded man and infant cannot reason and do not have the emotional capabilities as an "average" man or woman, but does that justify treating them unequal or different? I think not.

2. Matthew13

Matthew13 Member

How come activists talk more than they activate?

matthew???thirteen.

3. Agt. Adopus

I'm equally as active, I just am in the mood to start a conversation.

4. Canadiano

Canadiano Guest

nice post.

i used to make the retarded kid in Grade 1 step in dogshit all the time, and we made a retarded British kid in grade seven pull his cock out in the guidance office...shit was funny. Still, he was alright. I'm the only kid in the school who took the time out to walk home with him and get to know him a few times.

5. Agt. Adopus

off topic but interesting to say the least

6. kissmyass#1

kissmyass#1 Senior Member

7. Agt. Adopus

... Amy thoughts on specism

8. mental invalid

mental invalid Dirty Dozen Crew

"How come activists talk more than they activate? "

god bless ya mathew....

9. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

10. beardo

beardo Guest

"what about dogs? dogs are filthy animals."

"i dont eat dog either"

11. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

here's a classic one...

Some people will quote the 'good book' and say
    "The Lord gave man dominion over the animals."

But Dominion means
    i) Control or power over another or others.
    ii) The exercise of such control or power.

hence... responsible use and preservation.
    Not "kill 'em all and let god sort them out."

12. Agt. Adopus

Thats true Zesto... Thats a Good point.

13. serpent of the light

serpent of the light Member

14. KaBar

KaBar Senior Member

I think this is absolutely true, human being are just way too genus exclusive, and they have contributed to the virtual extermination of NUMEROUS other species. And not just large animals like whales or Siberian tigers either. Look at the BRUTAL GENOCIDAL EXTERMINATION of many of nature's smallest creatures. They are just fulfilling their niche in Gaia's great plan, and whatever harm they do is surely ofset by unknown benefits. Like variola. Sure, it causes smallpox in human beings, but if we just quit eating meat, and had a wholesome, holistic, sustainable diet, our natural immunity to this little baby would be optimized, and when some arrogant, know-it-all scientist screws up and lets this sonofabitch out of a government biological weapons laboratory by accident, we can expect it to re-establish it's rightful place in the microbiological pantheon by croaking about 200 million unfortunate persons who do not have the proper credentials and foresight to get vaccinated. Got your shots? Best fuckin' get 'em. Can't get vaccinated for variola, a major biological warfare agent? GEE, WHY NOT?

15. socrates

socrates Guest

Damn I'm way too high to read this