The Ukraine

RumPuncher

And now they're saying that the Prez was poisoned?

MOSCOW - For the third consecutive day, tens of thousands of Ukrainians protested on Wednesday over what they see as a presidential election that was stolen from the pro-Western opposition candidate Viktor Yushchenko.

advertisement

There is growing concern about a possibly violent conflict as the supporters of the current Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovych — the Kremlin-backed leader who has already claimed victory in the disputed election — have, for the first time, started to take to the streets of Kiev as well, just a few hundred yards away from Yushchenko supporters.

As the government's election commission declared Yanukovych the winner, the opposition candidate rejected an offer from outgoing president Leonid Kuchma on Wednesday to bring him together with the prime minister for talks.

The confrontation, in many ways, mirrors divisions in Ukrainian society which are deep and break along ethnic, geographic, and historical lines.

And look at his pics!!!!

less than a year ago....

yushchenko.jpg

and now....

yushchenko2.jpg

something sneaky is going on.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yes... thank you seeking girlies.

So now Colin Powel has said that the US wont support the elected President.

Isn't that funny that the US is siding against someone who came into power without a proper democratic procedure?

no, for real though. ukrainian girls are fucking dumb hot. i dont know what it is about eastern europe (or maybe that's western), but i swear, it's like they come free with a bottle of vodka.

plus they have a hot accent? seriously, i need to just quit fucking with these american cave hoes all together. fuck them and their normal english.

thumbs down.

oh, and it really sucks that their politics are jacked. they still killing people in chechnia? what about the sudan? sudanese women are not so hot i dont think.

basically the world knows..

Canada's Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan said Canada could not accept the results of the election.

"Considering the allegations of serious and significant electoral fraud from international and Canadian election observers, the government of Canada cannot accept that the announced results ... reflect the true, democratic will of the Ukrainian people," McLellan told Parliament.

There are more than 1 million people of ethnic Ukrainian origin in Canada -- around 3 percent of the overall population.

NATO Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer said Wednesday that Ukraine's disputed presidential election must be reviewed to conform with democratic standards.

"A review of this election is absolutely necessary," the Dutch head of the U.S.-led defense alliance told reporters after a meeting with visiting Slovak President Ivan Gasparovic.

"All NATO asks is a review of this election and sticking to democratic principles, and this is the key to NATO-Ukraine relations," de Hoop Scheffer said.

European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso said there would be "consequences" unless Ukraine conducted a "serious, objective review" of the results.

"The election was not considered a fair and independent one," Barroso told reporters, adding that the subject would be raised with Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday at an EU-Russia summit.

"We are involved in frank and serious discussion with Russia. We shall make our position clear (Thursday) to the authorities of the Russian Federation," Barroso said.

"It is our duty to say we are not satisfied with the way the election took place in Ukraine... in order to avoid deterioration of the situation and violence occurring."

EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana told lawmakers he would considering leading a high-level delegation to Ukraine to try to resolve the standoff, but that he had "doubts" that now was the time to go.

"There is not much you can do physically there, but we can reconsider that," he told the European Parliament's foreign affairs committee, which called a special debate on the Ukraine crisis.

Solana said Ukraine's future was at a crossroads and that violence could not be ruled out.

"Ukraine is very profoundly divided. We have to do our utmost so that this country is able to rally together and so that we don't have this profound division," Solana said. "We still have time for a dialogue."

German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder said the disputed election showed massive fraud.

"I have nothing to question about what the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe observer said, which was that massive electoral fraud took place in Ukraine," he told parliament.

"I am firmly convinced, firstly that the Russian president wants to develop a democracy, and wants to do so out of inner conviction. But that doesn't mean that we cannot ... criticize what has happened in the Ukraine."

Russian President Vladimir Putin, called the Western observers' criticism of the Ukraine election "inadmissible" and said through an interpreter that Ukraine "doesn't need to be lectured."

Earlier, Putin congratulated Ukrainian Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovych, who was leading in nearly complete election returns. Meanwhile, the Kremlin-controlled Russian parliament on Wednesday denounced the Ukrainian opposition for its "illegal actions."

Putin and Schroeder on Wednesday both urged Ukraine to solve its political crisis through legal means, the Kremlin said.

"It was noted that the post-election situation should be solved on the basis of Ukraine's existing election laws," a Kremlin statement said.

"As far as other political problems are concerned, they could be solved through relevant political contacts and consultations," it added.

Pope John Paul II told Ukrainian pilgrims at the Vatican he was praying for their country in a "special way."

"My most dear ones, I assure you and all the Ukrainian people that in these days, I am praying in a special way for your beloved homeland," the pontiff said Wednesday.

As soon as John Paul started speaking in Ukrainian, about 100 pilgrims from the country stood up and started singing a patriotic song and waving blue-and-yellow Ukrainian flags and orange banners.

Former Czech president Vaclav Havel, leader of the country's 1989 "Velvet Revolution" that overthrew communist rule, urged the Ukraine opposition to continue its protests.

"All respected domestic and international organizations agree that your demands are justified. Therefore I wish you strength, endurance, courage and fortunate decisions," Havel said in a statement from Taipei where he was traveling.

Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili, who came to power on a wave of peaceful protest last year, made a televised address in which he wished the Ukraine opposition "success, peace, calm, justice and victory."

The White House issued a statement Tuesday saying the United States is "deeply disturbed by extensive and credible indications of fraud committed in the Ukrainian presidential election."

The White House statement said it strongly supported an investigation of the election.

"We call on the government of Ukraine to respect the will of the Ukrainian people, and we urge all Ukrainians to resolve the situation through peaceful means," the statement said.

"The government bears a special responsibility not to use or incite violence, and to allow free media to report accurately on the situation without intimidation or concern. The United States stands with the Ukrainian people in this difficult time."

Dutch Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende, who country holds the rotating EU presidency, called outgoing Ukrainian President Leonid Kuchma and "expressed his doubts whether the preliminary results ... reflected the will of the Ukrainian electorate," Reuters reported.

Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer issued a statement saying Canberra had followed the election outcome with "deep concern" and had "serious reservations about whether the official results will fully reflect the will of the Ukrainian electorate."

"I urge Ukrainian authorities to fully investigate the irregularities reported in the electoral process and to review the results," the statement said.

OSCE chairman Soloman Pasi expressed concern about the dispute. Observers from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe had criticized Sunday's election.

Pasi, who is also Bulgaria's foreign minister, urged Ukrainian authorities "to investigate thoroughly, in a proactive and timely manner, the irregularities which were identified."

"These irregularities should be redressed within existing legal deadlines," Pasi said in a statement.

I also find it eerie how Russia has been mirroring the US as of late. Almost like two different sides of the same coin. Putin is being accused of consolidating power. So is Bush. The Russians refuse to let go of Chechnya because of oil. The US refuses to let go of Iraq because of oil. There are accusations of voter fraud in the Ukraine, there are accusations of voter fraud in the US.

US working on missle defense, Russia working on new missles. Looks like the cold war is coming back. Thanks alot W. :mad:

AND we have the GWOT. great

Yeah but a split would not be good for anyone in the Ukraine. They are essentially codependent. They would like to split, but know they can't. I guess the east is the industrial power. I'm not sure how well they would fare without the entreprenurial west. I think Putin is trying to reestablish communist russia.

Originally posted by seeking@Nov 24 2004, 09:02 PM

no, for real though. ukrainian girls are fucking dumb hot. i dont know what it is about eastern europe (or maybe that's western), but i swear, it's like they come free with a bottle of vodka.

plus they have a hot accent? seriously, i need to just quit fucking with these american cave hoes all together. fuck them and their normal english.

thumbs down.

oh, and it really sucks that their politics are jacked. they still killing people in chechnia? what about the sudan? sudanese women are not so hot i dont think.

The Russians are the ones in Chechnya. The Ukrainians have nothing to do with that as far as I know.

So the people of Ukraine started the revolution,called orange revolution,but as a matter of fact this is no spontaneous move from the people,but this shit is manipulated by dudes who did the same in Serbia a lil ago,this dudes earn 3000$ per month for that,and guess who trained dem and payed dem: USA..the funny point is once again,there is a big oil deal in that area,remember that pipeline that is supposed to show up overthere...fukkin world