Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

The Twilight Samurai

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by sarcasm, May 29, 2005.

1. sarcasm

sarcasm Elite Member

[​IMG]

THE TWILIGHT SAMURAI
    Directed by Yoji Yamada

Set in the late nineteen century as the feudal Shogun period was giving way to the Meiji Restoration, Seibei Iguchi (Hiroyuki Sanada) is a low-ranking samurai of the Unasaka clan in Shonai Province of northeast Japan. His wife has died of tuberculosis, and with two daughters, Kayano and Ito, and an elderly mother to support, he and his family must survive in austerity. The moment his daily work as a clerk in one of the clans warehouses is over, he hurries home, refusing to drink or eat with fellow samurai. Behind his back, his fellow samurai teasingly call him "Tasogare Seibei (Twilight Seibei)." The divorce of his childhood friend Tomoe (Rie Miyazawa) leads him into a confrontation with her violent ex-husband, a high-ranking samurai. When word of Seibei's easy victory using only a wooden sword begins to circulate, his reputation for swordfighting prowess begins to change his colleagues assessment of him. Just as Seibei begins to dream that despite his impoverishment he might win the hand of the long loved Tomoe, he is caught in the shifting turmoil of the times and is assigned, against his wishes, by his superiors to confront and kill a renowned warrior on the wrong side of a clan power struggle. (Japanese, 129 minutes)

I don't know if i'm the only one who's been sleeping on this movie, but
    if you haven't seen it, i highly recommend it. it's not an action movie,
    but great nontheless.

2. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New Jack

THIS IS A JAPANESE MOVIE. IT'S FROM JAPAN. IT TAKES PLACE DURING FEUDAL JAPAN WHEN THERE WERE SAMURAI.

3. heroin dart

heroin dart Senior Member

4. OHASHI

OHASHI Junior Member

are you japanese, sarcasm?

5. sarcasm

sarcasm Elite Member

6. sarcasm

sarcasm Elite Member

did u see this movie?

7. DiptInButter

DiptInButter Junior Member

ahaha captain obvious for president, reminds me of that dude from dilbert that would talk hella loud

8. OHASHI

OHASHI Junior Member

i haven't seen it

9. serum

serum Elite Member

if you like this film also check devil's claw. i don`t if they are bringing it to the US or not but it was pretty cool as well.

10. mackfatsoe

mackfatsoe Veteran Member

I'll definitely check these out.

11. Intangible

Intangible 12oz Legend

If you liked twighlight samurai check out Zatoichi, Yojimbo, and Shogun Assasin if you havnt seen it. I highly reccomend that everyone watches the Yakuza papers.

12. sarcasm

sarcasm Elite Member

hmmm sounds very interesting. i will most definately go out and search for the movies you guys listed.

13. serum

serum Elite Member

it looks like the english title will be hidden blade not devils claw. oni no tsume kakushi ken translates to devils claw hidden blade which sounds cooler than hidden blade but whatever. same director as twilight samurai heres a write up on it

hidden blade