The Twilight Samurai

sarcasm

10025.jpg

THE TWILIGHT SAMURAI

Directed by Yoji Yamada

Set in the late nineteen century as the feudal Shogun period was giving way to the Meiji Restoration, Seibei Iguchi (Hiroyuki Sanada) is a low-ranking samurai of the Unasaka clan in Shonai Province of northeast Japan. His wife has died of tuberculosis, and with two daughters, Kayano and Ito, and an elderly mother to support, he and his family must survive in austerity. The moment his daily work as a clerk in one of the clans warehouses is over, he hurries home, refusing to drink or eat with fellow samurai. Behind his back, his fellow samurai teasingly call him "Tasogare Seibei (Twilight Seibei)." The divorce of his childhood friend Tomoe (Rie Miyazawa) leads him into a confrontation with her violent ex-husband, a high-ranking samurai. When word of Seibei's easy victory using only a wooden sword begins to circulate, his reputation for swordfighting prowess begins to change his colleagues assessment of him. Just as Seibei begins to dream that despite his impoverishment he might win the hand of the long loved Tomoe, he is caught in the shifting turmoil of the times and is assigned, against his wishes, by his superiors to confront and kill a renowned warrior on the wrong side of a clan power struggle. (Japanese, 129 minutes)

I don't know if i'm the only one who's been sleeping on this movie, but

if you haven't seen it, i highly recommend it. it's not an action movie,

but great nontheless.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.