the truth behind SEASAME STREET

Guest willy.wonka

Guest willy.wonka

http://www.highbastard.com/concept/streethead.gif'>

I love PBS.

Despite the fact I have to endure the days when the programmers beg for donations, I think PBS provides a valuable service to Americans. Not only do they provide news and perspectives which are unbiased by corporate advertisers (except for ExxonMobil's Masterpiece Theatre...no joke.) They have also launched some great shows which have since become American icons. From NOVA to This Old House, from Antiques Road Show to Teletubbies, PBS has set the standard from which other popular cable channels, such as The Learning Channel and The Discovery Channel, have evolved.

http://www.highbastard.com/concept/the_gang.jpg'>

The cast is wide and varied...but what does it all mean?

I would hazard to guess that the most successful program ever created by PBS is Sesame Street. This juggernaut has captured the imagination of children and at the same time pulled in millions of merchandising dollars. Some would credit the ingenious and repetitive teaching methods of the program for its success. However, I see something much deeper.

Behind the faces of smiling children and playful puppets, a bigger message is being conveyed. Much like the monolith in 2001 - A Space Odyssey, I believe the creators of this program have placed a bit of "truth" into Sesame Street that could only be realized when society was ready.

After spending much time eating frozen burritos and watching Sesame Street re-runs, I believe I have decrypted this said "truth."

http://web.pioneernet.net/images/sesame.gif

"Sesame Street is a beautifully rendered caricature of contemporary urban society. Behind the glossy veneer of innocent children learning their ABC's, one should focus on who the teachers are on this street. When you look closely, their true lessons are much more poignant than their puppet facades portray them to be."

Let me simplify my statement by taking a look at the players:

Oscar the Grouch:

A disgruntled individual who lives in a trash can. This character obviously portrays the plight of the homeless in today's urban environment. Despite his constant interactions with those around him, he is still labeled as a "grouch." Perhaps if someone offered him a shower and a "leg up" he could get a job and afford some government housing.http://www.highbastard.com/concept/oscar.jpg'>

Bert and Ernie:

Behind all of their hijinks and misunderstandings, these two "roommates" illustrate society's intolerance towards gay couples. Sure everyone on Sesame Street seems to like them now...what would happen if they finally came out? I'll tell you what - no more invitations to neighborhood block parties.http://www.highbastard.com/concept/bert_ernie.jpg'>

Big Bird:

Although he's a "happy" and social sort, Big Bird has a troubled soul. One major example is a secret "friend" that only he can see - Snuffleuppagus . It's common for someone suffering from mental illness to appear normal on the outside. However, when that same person is found in a back alley babbling to what they describe to be "a large, woolen, elephant-like thing," there might be realizations of unresolved conflicts from their childhood. I feel the producers of Sesame Street should let this character evolve a bit more. Could it be possible that growing up as an extremely-oversized bird might alienate someone from certain adolescent social circles? Hmmm...http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~stoeter/personal/dutch/sesame-street/bigbird_find.JPG'>

The Cookie Monster:

A common thought on the Cookie Monster is that he smoke's too much marijuana and always has the munchies. Sure, I subscribed to this theory as an undergrad, I now believe there is a deeper meaning. Like most Americans, the Cookie Monster is in a constant state of consumption. It may look like he's devouring Chips Ahoy, but all that chocolatey goodness is a symbol for deeper American problems. Whether you're Super-Sizing™ your McDonald's® value meal or buying your newborn baby expensive Air Jordans®, it's all the same addiction. We think material goods make us happy, but the more we have - the more we want. When all we really need is a hug.http://www.highbastard.com/concept/cookie_monster.jpg'>

The Count:

Is he a vampire that likes to count...or a bloodsucker that is good with numbers? Yes, I'm talking about the IRS. Some extremists might even say he represents the government as a whole. He creates paranoia only in the people who believe in his powers. Those who are unaware of the true evil are unaffected...or at least they think they are. Is it just a coincidence that he can be destroyed with holy water and crosses? Or is it symbolic of the ideology behind the "separation of church and state?" Pretty scary to ponder, huh?http://www.highbastard.com/concept/count.jpg'>

Remember that PBS has much to offer that most cable stations don't - a true perspective on the world. Stay tuned for future articles regarding PBS programming as we intend to address many more programs and their importance to society.

- Mikey Ro

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

you left Art21 off your list... last night, well, this morning, when I was finally hitting the hay, I flipped on the tv and PBS had an art show on that was just 5 minutes of BEAUTIFUL women, some totally nude, some partially clothed... they were all just standing around being 'art' while the camera panned around them, over and under, near/far... it was nice to see, and good fodder for sweet dreams... PBS rocks!

Id like to see The muppets and the sesame street characters throw down.

First Match: What the hell are these things match

Elmo VS. Animal

Second Match: Crack Head match

Oscar the Grouch VS. Gonzo

Third Match: Tag Team Hetero sexual vs. Homosexual match

Kermit the Frog and Ms. Piggie VS. Bert and Earnie

id pay pbs to run that.

Guest deadlydnut

I was watching scooby doo two nights ago and it was on when I got home so I always wondered why scooby and shaggy went out together and were always hungry, but then I was watching and when the monster came they were like "ZOIKS LETS GO" but when they ran their was this trail of smoke behind him which I guess was supposed to be dust, but they were inside some recording studio so its clean, so that had to be smoke....so scooby and shaggy go smoke marijuana when they're out get the munchies and eat, mystery solved...

Guest deadlydnut

Pbs usually has good history info, and I like watching people on antique roadshow find out how much/little money they get when they find out what their possesion is worth...

Guest Wilt

thats some truely interesting content.i believe that may be what grips so many american viewers to the show....very interesting

I agree.I love the fucken breakdown dog.Sesame street was my favorite as a boy.Id love to hear more elaboration on various other characters.How about the Oscar and slimy(the worm) relationship.Im really against the whole disney/barney toy selling machine and Sesame street is one of the few shows I want my son to watch.

Guest willy.wonka

govers just a crack head

grouch on cribs would be good....i seen something on his can once..like a whole new world.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Canadiano

yeah, Elmo is a newjack..

See, I don't remember when Snuffleupagus was an imaginary friend. My older brother does, though. Does anyone know how the transition took place?

and yeah, I still watch Sesame Street once in a blue moon.

To this day, when I have to count a dozen of something, you know very well what I sing....think pinball.

grover wasn't a crackhead!

Archived