The "Today's Retarded News" Thread

coffeedependency

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I remember reading a pretty in-depth article about one of these games a few years ago (I think it was Worlds of Warcraft, but I'm not sure) and it described a number of people with full on, crippling addictions. They interviewed people who had lost their jobs because they simply stopped showing up, because they didn't want to stop playing. There were others who described marriages that went down the tubes because they stopped paying attention to their spouses-- one dude was saying that his wife would beg him to stop playing and come have sex with her, and he wouldn't do it. She eventually left him, and took the kids, and he now plays for 16 to 20 HOURS A DAY. People are out of their goddamn minds. Some of them used to make a living (or at least enough to support their addiction) by selling power pellets or level 3 battleaxes or what the fuck ever on eBay, but apparently the sweatshops have fucked up that business. I say kudos to the entrepeneur that saw this market was ripe for exploitation and jumped on it.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

I don't play any of these games, but I find the concept fascinating. I've always believed that in the future we'll just sit in a chair wired up and live our entire lives virtually. I never imagined the first inkling of virtual society would start happening so soon, and with such support.

Originally posted by El Mamerro@Dec 9 2005, 02:26 PM

I don't play any of these games, but I find the concept fascinating. I've always believed that in the future we'll just sit in a chair wired up and live our entire lives virtually. I never imagined the first inkling of virtual society would start happening so soon, and with such support.

what? why would that happen?

Originally posted by CACashRefund@Dec 9 2005, 12:37 PM

depends how much time he spent building up that character more often than not if you got a job paying minimum wage youd make much more than what dude spent on making that character.

but if he did it in hius free time then yeah thats a hustle.

Yeah, he wouldnt like SUPER OVER do it, but he'd play alot. I mean, playin a good game that you like for a while, and then when ur done with it sellin off your character AND makin change is a win-win to me

Originally posted by SpyD+Dec 9 2005, 11:04 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpyD - Dec 9 2005, 11:04 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-CACashRefund@Dec 9 2005, 12:37 PM

depends how much time he spent building up that character more often than not if you got a job paying minimum wage youd make much more than what dude spent on making that character.

but if he did it in hius free time then yeah thats a hustle.

Yeah, he wouldnt like SUPER OVER do it, but he'd play alot. I mean, playin a good game that you like for a while, and then when ur done with it sellin off your character AND makin change is a win-win to me

[/b]

yeah thats what i did with my accountsi liquidated all the items into runes and ebayed those in a nice bundle for a good price (500$ more or less) and shit sold the empty accounts with characters on ebay for a good sum (150$)

so i did pretty good for a 2 years worth of shit accumulated during the time i had off like dead weekends and shit.