Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

THE STROKES

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by ZENYTH.ASP, Oct 16, 2001.

1. ZENYTH.ASP

ZENYTH.ASP Senior Member

The Strokes "is this it" cd/lp

Has anyone heard this band, and jumped on the bandwagon? I have the cd, and I like it.....but it isn't anything real different or amazing. Everyone has been talking for months about them and how they are taking NYC by strom. I just don't see what all the talk is all about. I plan on listening to the cd some more, but only after I burn it and re-sell it on ebay.

2 words.
    Over Rated.

[​IMG]

2. footsoldier

footsoldier Senior Member

i totally agree..its good but i was expecting so much more...did this band sell their souls to the media???i dont see how else they could possibly be gettng so much publicity, it just seems like there are alot of bands who are doing similar things just as good as them but not getting half the credit.

3. ZENYTH.ASP

ZENYTH.ASP Senior Member

I heard the singers dad is Cindy Crawfords manager or some shit,...so they got the mad hook ups before they made it big.

I don't listen to that genre of music very often, but I would like to know of some bands who play the same style of music, but who are better and more underground.

anyone? anyone?

4. ogrBDC

ogrBDC Junior Member

i have no idea. last week they just sorta popped up and now thats all i hear about. like the white stripes times 5

5. fr8oholic

fr8oholic Veteran Member

they look like a buncha busters if you ask me and the messy hair shit's for the birds...

6. CATS

CATS Senior Member

Haven't heard them, sorry I cant help.

7. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

why is everything so fucking predictible and watered down? like for instance, you got this group of guys who are probably on some emo, indie rock shit, so they all try and look british, then they take their picture in front of a bunch of pictures of cars that im sure they make fun of for being so '80's' but really, that shit is just so trite. i wanna see some emo rockers that dress like wutang and can actually admit that lamborghinis are fresh as fuck. screw your sense of humor fuck wad, i'll beat you to death with my cock. the only one thats keeping it real is dude on the far right, cause he's ugly as shit and no girl is gonna like him. he knows it. thats real. the rest of yall pretty boys with your hairsprayed 'messy' hair can all go into the bathroom and hang yourselfs with your pyramid belts...

seeking/beast master general

8. hipnos

hipnos Guest

9. boogie hands

boogie hands 12oz Legend

well...i was going to make fun of these guys for trying to acheive the brit pop/retro look but i think seeking covered it

10. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

if theres 'making fun' to be done, you can pretty much assume i've got it on lock.

seeking/3 steps ahead

11. mental invalid

mental invalid Dirty Dozen Crew

....that kinda sucks....cause i heard about those dood a few month ago, and they sounded like a possibility....i think they just played irving plaza....the media was gunning them like new yorks next gargae band/cbgb prodigies....hmmmm sounds to me like another marketing spin cycle....like to hear them though before i make my final judgement....as far as the look goes, im not sure what to make of it...but i guess you wont be burning any emo, huh seeks?!.....

"i wanna see some emo rockers that dress like wutang and can actually admit that lamborghinis are fresh as fuck. screw your sense of humor fuck wad, i'll beat you to death with my cock...."

-hahahaha-dood you kill me......

rOe
    wearing fresh ties since i was wee lad......

12. fr8lover

fr8lover Guest

speaking of making it big, i hear that lead singer was tom hanks young friend in that movie...

rich kids = connections.

13. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

money makes culture. i don't think there is such a thing
    as pop/rock bands 'making it' like the old days. now you get
    signed, act the part, cut an accessible video, do the interviews,
    and then the label overkills the world with cookie cutter marketing and music,
    falsely hyping it up as 'new' and 'improved'....when really its the same basic
    shit the beatles did whatever some odd years ago, and you've pretty much
    got yourself a hit record. marketing and image does wonders.
    i haven't heard these guys, and i won't check them out ever. i already
    know what they sound like, what moves they do when they play live, what they sing about and what their video will look like. see through. even the photo is played.

14. drunknessmonster

drunknessmonster Member

more like three steps behind.

people have opinions on different things. most times, other people's opinions will differ from yours. this is normal and ok.

15. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

ahead/behind, i dont give a shit lamborghini's are dope as hell.

seeking/fast ass motherfucker