THE STROKES

ZENYTH.ASP

The Strokes "is this it" cd/lp

Has anyone heard this band, and jumped on the bandwagon? I have the cd, and I like it.....but it isn't anything real different or amazing. Everyone has been talking for months about them and how they are taking NYC by strom. I just don't see what all the talk is all about. I plan on listening to the cd some more, but only after I burn it and re-sell it on ebay.

2 words.

Over Rated.

http://www.blackfly.co.uk/thestrokes/images/publicity.jpg'>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i totally agree..its good but i was expecting so much more...did this band sell their souls to the media???i dont see how else they could possibly be gettng so much publicity, it just seems like there are alot of bands who are doing similar things just as good as them but not getting half the credit.

I heard the singers dad is Cindy Crawfords manager or some shit,...so they got the mad hook ups before they made it big.

I don't listen to that genre of music very often, but I would like to know of some bands who play the same style of music, but who are better and more underground.

anyone? anyone?

why is everything so fucking predictible and watered down? like for instance, you got this group of guys who are probably on some emo, indie rock shit, so they all try and look british, then they take their picture in front of a bunch of pictures of cars that im sure they make fun of for being so '80's' but really, that shit is just so trite. i wanna see some emo rockers that dress like wutang and can actually admit that lamborghinis are fresh as fuck. screw your sense of humor fuck wad, i'll beat you to death with my cock. the only one thats keeping it real is dude on the far right, cause he's ugly as shit and no girl is gonna like him. he knows it. thats real. the rest of yall pretty boys with your hairsprayed 'messy' hair can all go into the bathroom and hang yourselfs with your pyramid belts...

seeking/beast master general

....that kinda sucks....cause i heard about those dood a few month ago, and they sounded like a possibility....i think they just played irving plaza....the media was gunning them like new yorks next gargae band/cbgb prodigies....hmmmm sounds to me like another marketing spin cycle....like to hear them though before i make my final judgement....as far as the look goes, im not sure what to make of it...but i guess you wont be burning any emo, huh seeks?!.....

"i wanna see some emo rockers that dress like wutang and can actually admit that lamborghinis are fresh as fuck. screw your sense of humor fuck wad, i'll beat you to death with my cock...."

-hahahaha-dood you kill me......

rOe

wearing fresh ties since i was wee lad......

Guest BROWNer

money makes culture. i don't think there is such a thing

as pop/rock bands 'making it' like the old days. now you get

signed, act the part, cut an accessible video, do the interviews,

and then the label overkills the world with cookie cutter marketing and music,

falsely hyping it up as 'new' and 'improved'....when really its the same basic

shit the beatles did whatever some odd years ago, and you've pretty much

got yourself a hit record. marketing and image does wonders.

i haven't heard these guys, and i won't check them out ever. i already

know what they sound like, what moves they do when they play live, what they sing about and what their video will look like. see through. even the photo is played.

Originally posted by seeking innocence

if theres 'making fun' to be done, you can pretty much assume i've got it on lock.

seeking/3 steps ahead

more like three steps behind.

people have opinions on different things. most times, other people's opinions will differ from yours. this is normal and ok.

Originally posted by fr8lover

speaking of making it big, i hear that lead singer was tom hanks young friend in that movie...rich kids = connections.

Well...you heard wrong. Buddyhead started spreading that rumor for the hell of it. The singer of the strokes "julian casablancas" isn't even in the cast of "BIG".

http://mrshowbiz.go.com:80/MSBFilmography/...?movie_id=31312

His Dad does have connections though....hence their big success.

http://www.yourphotos.com:80/users/3697/strokes_chump.jpg'>

well, what I know of this band is that they get NO PLAY in the music store I work in. Although it may be corporate bullshit - the people there do have good taste in music and it's obvious that shit isn't gonna fly. (personally - I've never heard) Two cd's were open for in-store play.. both got sent back and management sent an email out saying that they were sick of hearing the garbage and whoever was opening the cd... was gonna be in some heat if they did it again.

Too many 'hipsters' in this damn city... *shrug*

i keep hearing about how they're just raging alcoholics. that makes me think they might actually like the lamborghini... but then again, it could also mean that they dont. its a hard call.

i just saw their video on Mtv. question for 'the strokes' WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU THINKING? this is the most boring video/song ever fucking presented for public viewing. DIE.

Guest Handjob

Currently I'm listening to the first song of theirs that I've ever heard. I don't know anything about their hype, brit pop look, possible alcoholism, disslike for cool cars, who's dad used to own the drummer's gerbil, and basically I don't mind it...

'course this is the first song of theirs that I've evr heard, all this might change after I download the next one. Oh ya, thats another thing, its free, so who cares?

• 1 month later...

...okay so i just finally listened to their cd, and well, i guess the jury is still out....i certainly sorta dig it...as i was trying to listen to it, i was imagining if one of you doods let me borrow it....ya know not trying to have all these preconceived nontions about em....i dont think they are revolutionaries....but i think they are better then most of shit being played....i dunno, im not sure of the depth of my likeness or my feeling of their musicality....but i am sure that they dont suck and some of their shit kinda rocks...now as far as the way they kinda "made" it...i understand they kinda got an easy ride based on hookups, but its not the first time i have heard of a an act, or an artist or a writer getting a break from knowing the right people....i guess what im saying is that all thought i think people should pay their dues, i dont know if im ready to disregard a band because they didnt....my boy, whose music taste i highly regard, went and saw em in hartford, and he said they fucking rocked...classic rock and roll blarin drunk loud thrashing sloppy intense distorted sounds...i dunno could it be one of those believe the hype acts....whatta think?......rOe

• 4 weeks later...

Archived