the state and future of mainstream hip hop

stylus1

Seeing as most will say the relation of graffiti and the hip hop world is still a tight bond, I think this topic deserves its 15 minutes of play on this forum. I listen to just about every type of music these days, and a lot of writers don't regularly listen to hip hop recently, which is cool. But for many, Hip hop may have sparked first interested in graffiti.

I've been asking myself if I'm the only one thats been playing slight attention to pathetic load of shit that comes out and gets called hip hop, rap, whatever lately. When I first got into rap, i obviously got sucked in by main stream rappers, Biggie Smalls, Nas, Jay-Z, Dr. Dre, Method Man, etc. If you look at what is currently being released, it has strayed so far from what i started with, its all weaker, stupider, and even more meaningless than its predecessor generation. Am I supposed to look at "Chingy" as a respected, real MC. What the Fuck? I saw a video with Nick Cannon the other day fronting to be a hard ass motherfuck, Nick Cannon the kid with a Nickelodeon show is supposed to be a "gangster" now. 50 Cent is supposed to be the hottest MC since Tupac, there is nothing that sets that guy apart from the rest, his flow is hardly average, maybe average at best. He had Production from rich people, and he got promoted by rich people. I don't care if he's real, and got shot, that nigger has no respect from me whatsoever, he fucking sucks, and he talks like a retard when people interview, fucker has horrible english - (This is what's wrong with America.) I only ask myself what people like Big-L and Biggie would have to say about the state of the current Mainstream Hip Hop scene. I think these two would honestly be insulted by the people that followed their footsteps. I'd like to hear Guru's opinion. What happened to B-Boys, Graff Writers, MCs and DJs? What happened to the influence from the Ghetto, Since when is rap no longer a reflection of a lifestyle, -It's been replaced by ass shaking, bitches, party music, "Tha Holidae Inn," and a group of bitch ass shitty rappers. I suppose the underground still exists, but i don't have the time or effort to hunt for my music anymore. I'm too busy being disgusted with the music that is being presented to me, I'm to busy changing the channel. Future generations will soon have the wrong of impression on what used to be the best music in the world.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by stylus1

Seeing as most will say the relation of graffiti and the hip hop world is still a tight bond, I think this topic deserves its 15 minutes of play on this forum. I listen to just about every type of music these days, and a lot of writers don't regularly listen to hip hop recently, which is cool. But for many, Hip hop may have sparked first interested in graffiti.

I've been asking myself if I'm the only one thats been playing slight attention to pathetic load of shit that comes out and gets called hip hop, rap, whatever lately. When I first got into rap, i obviously got sucked in by main stream rappers, Biggie Smalls, Nas, Jay-Z, Dr. Dre, Method Man, etc. If you look at what is currently being released, it has strayed so far from what i started with, its all weaker, stupider, and even more meaningless than its predecessor generation. Am I supposed to look at "Chingy" as a respected, real MC. What the Fuck? I saw a video with Nick Cannon the other day fronting to be a hard ass motherfuck, Nick Cannon the kid with a Nickelodeon show is supposed to be a "gangster" now. 50 Cent is supposed to be the hottest MC since Tupac, there is nothing that sets that guy apart from the rest, his flow is hardly average, maybe average at best. He had Production from rich people, and he got promoted by rich people. I don't care if he's real, and got shot, that nigger has no respect from me whatsoever, he fucking sucks, and he talks like a retard when people interview, fucker has horrible english - (This is what's wrong with America.) I only ask myself what people like Big-L and Biggie would have to say about the state of the current Mainstream Hip Hop scene. I think these two would honestly be insulted by the people that followed their footsteps. I'd like to hear Guru's opinion. What happened to B-Boys, Graff Writers, MCs and DJs? What happened to the influence from the Ghetto, Since when is rap no longer a reflection of a lifestyle, -It's been replaced by ass shaking, bitches, party music, "Tha Holidae Inn," and a group of bitch ass shitty rappers. I suppose the underground still exists, but i don't have the time or effort to hunt for my music anymore. I'm too busy being disgusted with the music that is being presented to me, I'm to busy changing the channel. Future generations will soon have the wrong of impression on what used to be the best music in the world.

• amen.

atleast half of mainstream hiphop has always sucked though mang. even when biggie and 2pac were out there was tons of crap on the radio. i agree that all thoes artists blow, but theres some good shit getting play now ie. gangstarr, jayz, dipset, kanye...

ps, that college dropout shit is crazy ill

I suppose the underground still exists, but i don't have the time or effort to hunt for my music anymore.

I definately hear you on that...

But you have to look at the age of most people that buy the music. This is what they want to hear. Thats all thats really matters to most artists. Sure, they are missing out on good shit, but like dude said, music changes and evolves. Its not going to be how it was forever, and its not going to stay like it is forever. Artists like that come and go. Pretty soon people wont know who Nick Cannon is. Relax, and just keep doing what your doing, listen to what youve been listening to. Everything will be alright. I dont know what else to tell you. You cant fight city hall....well you can, but im definitely too lazy to, and I dont know how. I cant remember what I was talking about now...

ahh, yes. As for the future of mainstream hiphop. One word. Me. ScrabMasterGeneral Oner. I play a mean triangle. Coming to a city near you. Look out derty.

i believe its called falling off, it happens to every rapper, writer, actor, who ever, they no longer feel the need to try as hard because they are allready established, take jay-z for instance..hes about to retire, wtf for??? because hes lazy, i know that if i were him i would not do that to my fans, in my eyes he has no respect for his fans, its his fans that made him who he is, and now that he got what he needed from them hes gonna leave um flat with the black album, thats all folks, personally i dont care for jayz, my real favorite rap artists is bone thugs, not many people feel um because 1 they dont know what they are saying and 2 they dont get promoted like a mofo with a dvd included with thier album showcasing them being shot 9 times, but even with thier hit crossroads they still put in work and they still are doing thier thing, krayzie even said it himself in an interview he wont stop doing what he loves untill the day he dies, thats what music should be about doing it because you love it, not because you'll get rich and famouse

i agree with daze, rappers like jay z would be no where without the fans. People sweat the dude like hes the shit, he got more respect when he was rollin with Big L. And whats up with all these mainstream rappers thinkin there still on the block, when they damn well know they chill in there masions and there little VIP parties and dont go out and hussle on the block. They might have done it back then, but they sure as hell arent doin it now, and rappers talkin bout packin AK's and shit, they need to stop that, aint gettin no where. I listen to mainstream shit, like whoo kid mixtapes and green lantern and tony touch mixtapes, but i also listen to underground shit, and even some of the underground shit is gettin wack. People like aesop rock and el p, those dudes might roll with nice mc's like vast aire and yakballz, but i personally think aesop and el p suck. Slug and anticon and those dudes out there from minneapolis are pretty wack too, sage francis is nice with the spoken word stee, but those other dudes are all nerd hip hop, but yea, thats what i think.

mainstream hiphop is the way it is because of the AnR's. If you don't have a particular type of steez or sound, then you aren't gonna be put on; and American pop music, right now, is all about making carbon copies of something that sold before, and shoving it down the public's throats. If you persistantly beat some people over the head with something long enough, they'll, eventually, start to think like you want them to. That's why Ja Rule got sooooo... much air and video play. He's fucking wack (in my opinion), but, after a while, the average person is like..."well, he's all over the radio and tv, so he must be cool"; and they buy into his bullshit image. Mainstream hiphop won't change until the fans start to demand something different...or until the next trend (to exploit) comes along.

i dont think that i have bought an album released after the year 2000, i hear enough of that shit on the radio as it is. it is just because hip hop is so popular right now, you can market any generic thug mc and make millions, it is a sure success. you just have to make sure that there is ample objectification of women, gun talk and also a few rhymes about how much money they have.

Get Hip to your Hoppin'

I think what everyone has in common with is there focus on Hip Hop only being about rap and Rappers.

Personally found by the time Nas and Biggie ,p00f ninny etc the art was falling of . Kind of look at Casual,Diamond D or Tribe called Quest (first three lp's ) as being the direction Hip Hop could have went .

But money and marketing eventually strangled the culture leaving a ghost of it's former self a lot of these new mc's that appear everywhere for 5 minutes of fame remind me of the corny attempts at rap in the 80's except now we discuss wether or not there as good as fitty cent?? I mean if vanilla ice was to come out now he would probably be discussed seriously by folks wether or not his rhymes were good.

Rap is controlled by the majors they can mold it to whatever they please they practically removed or rendered any decent Hip Hop obsolete(signing up acts into restrictive contracts ), It's hard to believe that def jam were even behind a group like Public Enemy considering the acts the pimp now.

i think if you listened to the Hip Hop early 80's up until early 90's you witnessed a very expressive creative music drawing on a lot of musical references when you listen to a tune Like Eric B for President and think that rakim was only 17 when he wrote the tune WOW! Mind blowing

I agree with whoever dropped the "Nerd Rap " thing personally find all that a bit art college try hard psuedo-intelectual trendy trucker cap wearing bollocks. White guys from canada telling us about how rap suks Yeah we noticed except what is your abstract flow going to do to improve it?? (I hate this stuff !)

personally find more inspiraton in Drum & Bass or listening to old funk & Soul records than i would in anything packaged and labelled Hip Hop.

I suppose we all need to avert our gaze from these glamour models and except that rap is shit and hope some bored youths are experimenting with some new music.

Teh Mexican by Babe Ruth is my favourite record i consider it Hip Hop more than fitty cent.

Originally posted by firsttake

atleast half of mainstream hiphop has always sucked though mang. even when biggie and 2pac were out there was tons of crap on the radio. i agree that all thoes artists blow, but theres some good shit getting play now ie. gangstarr, jayz, dipset, kanye...

ps, that college dropout shit is crazy ill

did you just say dipset...

OH SHIT...you did

worst fucking lyrics on any song ive ever heard from them, from fantastic 4 on dj clue professional pt. 1 to every fucking song on diplomatic immunity holy fuck put that shit down, they should not be mention in the same breath paragraph or book as gang starr:rolleyes:

and that pink shit has got to stop, i don't care how confortable with your gangster that you are, fucking please

Re: Re: the state and future of mainstream hip hop

Originally posted by wiseguy

i dont think that i have bought an album released after the year 2000, i hear enough of that shit on the radio as it is. it is just because hip hop is so popular right now, you can market any generic thug mc and make millions, it is a sure success. you just have to make sure that there is ample objectification of women, gun talk and also a few rhymes about how much money they have.

the ownerz was released in 2003

:rolleyes:

Wow... someone started a thread about hip hop and actually got people talking without attacking... hats off to Hartford.

I thought hip-hop was supposed to be dangerous. But not dangerous like whiskey dick and a call girl with the clap in your Bentley. I mean on the cutting edge. Progressing constantly. It's too young to start recycling styles. Like you said, it parrallels graff. Except there is no 'mainstream graffit'. There's the conventional lettering approach, abstract and the people in the middle (consider the people in the middle Aceyalone/Blackaliscious/Mos Def fans). All these cats started out writing simple 4-bar rhyme structures years ago and arrived at where ever the fuck they are now. Look at people like Joker... look at someone like Aesop Rock (insert hate from the elders for mentioning the guy in a hip-hop thread that wasn't around in 93). There's no room for even the people in the middle anymore (I.E. Tribe, J5 even)... people don't give enough of a shit to want to hear what real life is like where most of these people come from. There's more money in selling records that can be edited and packaged to 11 year old girls... enter Nelly/Chingy/...even 50.

It's all still there... I just can't go to too many clubs and chill with a bunch of people with good music playing in the background. That sucks. I want to meet more girls that wanna hear Automator playing in the background, 3 Feet and Rising, or even J-Zone playing in the background.

Fuck it, force it on them. Push it on the radio so they're conditioned to like it... so when I put it in the stereo I can like it and they can still think I'm not a weirdo for listening to that 'other' rap.

Mind me. I'm rambling.

Guest SPLINTER

Make the say Uuhhhh

Haha, i though you fuckers knew what Master P was talking about? Master P fuckin killed mainstream Hip Hop, now you guys are moaning "uuhhhh" cuz hip hop died. it all ended with the bling-bling era. kids, move on, there is nothing to listen to here. goodnite.

Originally posted by 26SidedCube

Wow... someone started a thread about hip hop and actually got people talking without attacking... hats off to Hartford.

I thought hip-hop was supposed to be dangerous. But not dangerous like whiskey dick and a call girl with the clap in your Bentley. I mean on the cutting edge. Progressing constantly. It's too young to start recycling styles. Like you said, it parrallels graff. Except there is no 'mainstream graffit'.

There's no mainstream graffiti? What do you call all of the commercialization of graffiti onto Sprite commercials, art gallery canvases, JNCO clothing and other brands, corporation advertisements to appeal to "urban youth", video games, and fake Hollywood-created graffiti in movies?

• 4 weeks later...

dope hip hop is dope hip hop

I see alot of ace rock/sage/anticon/el-p/atmosphere hate. Why is this? I mean if you honestly don't like them, then that's fine, Im just wondering. Cause in my opinion those cats are intellegent, making hot music, making cash, putting good shit ou, and still not "selling out" What more could you want?

Originally posted by adept

dope hip hop is dope hip hop

I see alot of ace rock/sage/anticon/el-p/atmosphere hate. Why is this? I mean if you honestly don't like them, then that's fine, Im just wondering. Cause in my opinion those cats are intellegent, making hot music, making cash, putting good shit ou, and still not "selling out" What more could you want?

i want reality.... not saying these cats arent "real" they just on some other shit space shit wannabee-intalectual-higher enlightenment music for tha advanst listener bull-shit. They need to come back down to earth HIP HOP is street. Just cause its indipendant don't mean its dope. and just cause you from the streets don't mean you can't have fun with your music. Hence NON PHIXION, THE LOX, SKITZOFRENIKS, and so on.

p.s. FUCK THE FANS (cause if they had heart they'd be makeing the music) most music is not made for the fans its made by the artist for themselves, fans only find somthing in the music they relate to. Thats why mainsteam sells so well, every one can relate to it.

Future generations will soon have the wrong of impression on what used to be the best music in the world.

I was just thinking about this the other day. What are future generations going to say when they look back at the Salt Shaker video? It's not going to be pretty.