The "So I'm Learning to Play the Guitar" Thread

SilentBob

I've had a guitar since I was about 14 ... 2 months and it was collecting dust ... a couple weeks back I just randomly picked it up... I dabble in a bit of electronic music ( which I really should take more seriously) and I thought by learning the guitar I'de atleast learn some stuff about keys and melody ect...

since I've picked it up I've realised playing the guitar is fucking awesome.. but I'm not sure if I'm going the right way about learning ... so far I've just been looking up chords and learning to play them... I've got about four or five of them down

Anyway I know there is a fare share of guitarists on the oz so I figured I'de ask some advice .. also feel free to just talk about guitaring in general... goooo ..

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest beardo

my brother is on that new electric guitar diet. so you spend all your money on axes, and dont get to eat very much :lol:

all i can say is dont give up!!!

fuck if i had the time to pick up my guitar it would be a different story..

played solid for 4yrs,and havnt really picked it up in 4 yrs also....

fuck im going to have to find time to get stuck back into it!

guitar is a fun instrumnt to play. I took one lesson in my whole life and the guy taught me how to play a Bush song, so I never went back. I don't know anything about music theory or tons of notes and scaled, bur I know how to rock the fuck out. Drums are fun too, that's what i started out playing, then got a guitar

Just learn how to read guitar tabs and look online for guitar tabs for songs, and go from there. You learn more from listening to songs then waht you can from a teacher. Given they will teach you scales like pentatonic and all that nonsense, but playing by ear is a much more enjoyable experience

i cant do the guitar finger thing man...shits waaaay to hard...but drums, I can hit things with sticks all crazy like..

an then you get Music theory into it and you be doing like odd time signature shit...then double bass..then you mix jazz and metal...yeah ..drums are fun for me.

whats cool about an instrument is that if its damn fun that is all you will do for a while..(i did that with drums, i lost my social life fresman year just to play drums) so when you come home from school or work....you just sit down and jam, jam jam jam, saterday comes, friends call you up "dude lets go get high" naw man..IM JAMMING!

then you get good and then peeps be comming to your house to jam..man i LOVE THAT SHIT!!! nothing better than a good 3 hour jam sesh.

then you form a band make some songs and bam get some shitty show intown in some bar or coffy house, tell all your friends to show up and experience something better than any drug you have taken.

a cheering croud.:king:

i'm learning guitar too, except i don't have a guitar, i'm using the instrument i posted in my moving thread. i know nothing about tablature or frets. anyway, what i really want to do is learn the bass. anyone know if you have to have an amplifier with an electric bass? can you hear it without one? also, what happens when you use it with a guitar amp?

Guest beardo

which is nothing like our good friend tease, who's fallen victim to

#26. trendy thing a loser does:

-learns how to hold a can of spray paint, attempts to join a shitty crew that never goes anywhere, perfects a retarded white hip hopper look with bad haircut in hopes of getting a girl.

whoops!

Originally posted by CRAMPS

i cant do the guitar finger thing man...shits waaaay to hard...but drums, I can hit things with sticks all crazy like..

an then you get Music theory into it and you be doing like odd time signature shit...then double bass..then you mix jazz and metal...yeah ..drums are fun for me.

whats cool about an instrument is that if its damn fun that is all you will do for a while..(i did that with drums, i lost my social life fresman year just to play drums) so when you come home from school or work....you just sit down and jam, jam jam jam, saterday comes, friends call you up "dude lets go get high" naw man..IM JAMMING!

then you get good and then peeps be comming to your house to jam..man i LOVE THAT SHIT!!! nothing better than a good 3 hour jam sesh.

then you form a band make some songs and bam get some shitty show intown in some bar or coffy house, tell all your friends to show up and experience something better than any drug you have taken.

a cheering croud.:king:

That is awesome, I love it because there are 3 drummers on my street(myself included) and we all show each new stuff and sometimes try to jam together.

I've also just picked up the guitar in attempts to write better songs and just to develop a better ear for music.

Originally posted by beardo

which is nothing like our good friend tease, who's fallen victim to

#26. trendy thing a loser does:

-learns how to hold a can of spray paint, attempts to join a shitty crew that never goes anywhere, perfects a retarded white hip hopper look with bad haircut in hopes of getting a girl.

whoops!

:lol:

i learned to play totally by ear. pick a handful of songs you like to listen to on a cd or record or whatever, and get the tabs online. www.tabcrawler.com is a good site. it might be confusing at first but once you get tabs down it's all kosher from there. i used to just sit down with a record and my packet of tabs and play along. eventually you'll be able to listen to a song once or twice and play it...unless it's some steve vai shit or something. then you're fucked. i play bass...but i like to play guitar when i write a song. i still have so much i want to learn on guitar. all i can say is keep at it. jamming on a guitar can be the best drug sometimes. it's even better with beer.

cheers for the advice guys, that site was really helpful ...

Eye- I know what your saying but I think l want to learn all the boring stuff first...Part of the reason I'm trying the guitar out again is because I'm interested in scales and notes and all that stuff... I learnt the C major scale today ... my only problem is I'm still not too sure what good it does me :o

Originally posted by T=E=A=S=E

#27. trendy thing a loser does:

-learns how to play an instrument, attempts to join a shitty garage band that never goes anywhere, perfects a depressed emo with bad haircut look in hopes of getting a girl.

:lol:

dumbest thing i've read all day

Originally posted by SilentBob

cheers for the advice guys, that site was really helpful ...

Eye- I know what your saying but I think l want to learn all the boring stuff first...Part of the reason I'm trying the guitar out again is because I'm interested in scales and notes and all that stuff... I learnt the C major scale today ... my only problem is I'm still not too sure what good it does me :o

You should get yourself a little tape recorder if you plan on writing songs and stuff. I wish i had one, becuase sometimes I'll make up some cool riffs, then the next day I'll forget it. Or even just using a computer mic and using some crappy sound recording program is good. I should at some point try to learn scales and notes and all that. One day.....

Originally posted by T=E=A=S=E

do you play the guitar to?

eeeeeeeeeexactly.

emo mother fucker you. hahaha ;)

Its bad enough just having to put up with you. It must be horrible having to actually BE you ALL the time. I mean you didn't ask to be you, its just the cards you were dealt ... someone really should start a charity for you and your family or something.

Originally posted by EyeforAnEYE

You should get yourself a little tape recorder if you plan on writing songs and stuff. I wish i had one, becuase sometimes I'll make up some cool riffs, then the next day I'll forget it. Or even just using a computer mic and using some crappy sound recording program is good. I should at some point try to learn scales and notes and all that. One day.....

For real, I'm not really thinking about writing anything at this point but when/if I get to that stage I'll definately do that... cheers for the tip.

Also the peanuts tip "its even better with beer" :lol:

edit* I didn't mean to refer to mr.peanut as "the peanuts" but I decided to leave it there

Originally posted by SilentBob

Its bad enough just having to put up with you. It must be horrible having to actually BE you ALL the time. I mean you didn't ask to be you, its just the cards you were dealt ... someone really should start a charity for you and your family or something.

let it go man, let it go...

Originally posted by THE CORONER

ive been playing guitar religiously since i was 9 so i (not to took my own horn or anything) think i know a little bit about it.

my piece of advice is to always challenge yourself

and believe it or not, if you can learn how to play death metal, youll be rippin in no time

^^ words of truth!!

really try to learn the styles of music that take the most skill and you can slay in a "moderatly" short period of time!

im talking like jazz,blues,metal (like teck speed metal) and just general wierd shit...because you start to understand the awsomness that is in the hand of many artists that can accomplish thses thing and give you the strive to be as good as them!

fuck punk chords or emo strumming shit...thats cake! gatta freak out the blues solo man.

OH AND SOLO'S! man the quicker you are to emprovise...the sky just opens up..in writing and in performing! shur you can play three or four chords in a song..but a song just isnt a song without a guitar solo!

and its bad ass to just go home and freestyle solo for an hour!

------------ JohnnyLode

That is awesome, I love it because there are 3 drummers on my street(myself included) and we all show each new stuff and sometimes try to jam together.

---

dude best way to learn is from others!

some say teachers arent needed but man, i went form a year of self taught and then i got a teacher because i had to to be in a music class...that man showed me soo mutch cool shit and he still is! i come in thinking "man, i have it all down im the shit i dont need to learn anything i can do everything" then BAM! he shows me something i cant do for the life of me...its frusterating but awesome at the same time because there is a new level to achive!

flow...and tease is fucking stupid....go play the skin flute faggot.

:king:

Archived