The Ring 2

fermentor666

Ok, most of us saw the Ring and liked it, I thought it was a great little horror film. I got passes to an advanced screening last night and went to see it. Here's the spoiler-free IMDB synopsis:

""The Ring 2" picks up six months after the horrifying events that terrorized Rachel Keller (Naomi Watts) and her son Aidan (David Dorfman) in Seattle. To escape her haunting memories, Rachel takes Aidan and moves to the small coastal community of Astoria, Oregon, to start fresh. However, Rachel's resolve quickly turns to dread when evidence at a local crime scene - including an unmarked videotape - seems eerily familiar. Rachel realizes that the vengeful Samara is back and more determined than ever to continue her relentless cycle of terror and death."

This is the only picture I could find:

theRing2cap.jpg

Part with spoilers:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Notice the date says November 2004 (edit: the first picture did, but it didn't show up)? That's because the film was supposed to come out then but they decided to reshoot a bunch of scenes. This is generally a bad omen in Hollywood-land, when a film needs to reshoot scenes, it's usually because it tests badly or the producers aren't happy with the final results or both.

The film starts off the same as the first one, two teenagers are talking about the tape, but this time it seems like it's common knowledge that the tape needs to be copied and given to someone to watch before the 7 days are up in order for the person who watched it to live. A teenage boy is tries to get a girl to watch the tape before his time is up, but isn't so lucky.

In the first film, the back-story to how the two girls in the beginning got ahold of the tape is shown, and is an important part of the plotline. The major problem with the Ring 2 is that it doesn't bother with any of this. We see Samara's real mother (Sissy Spacek) in a mental institution, and rather than give answers or even half-answers as to what Samara is, who her father was, why she says Samara is dead, etc, all we get is a bunch of hooey about having to kill the girl to be a "good mother".

There's no explenation about how the tape got from Seattle to Naomi Watts' new small town other than "Samara wants to get her" or whatever.

The main plotline is that Samara takes Watts' kid in the film and makes him kill a couple of people and not sleep. Watts spends the first half of the film trying to figure out why Samara is back, and the second half of the film trying to figure out how to stop her from taking over her kid.

And that's about it, just about none of the great cinematography and ambience of the first film is present. All of the scenes seem pretty shallow, and almost all of the scares in the film had people laughing afterwards instead of like the first film when everyone left afraid to answer their cell phone.

Part of this can be explained by the idea of the film no longer being new. But mostly it's because this movie is just like every other horror film sequal. It has no depth and treats the viewer like an idiot.

I wouldn't waste your money on it this weekend unless you're fanatical about the Ring 2. Wait for DVD or download it.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

The first one was directed by Gore Verbinski and written by Ehren Kruger (who did Arlington Road, but also did Scream 3). This one is directed by Hideo Nakata, who did the Japanese films that these were based on, and written by Hiroshi Takahashi, who wrote the original Japanese films. I think that's part of the problem, the american Ring was a western film, and despite the fact that Ringu was a good film on it's own, it doesn't fit very well with The Ring even though the storylines are similar. This plays like a bad Japanese horror film, instead of being a worthy sequal to the American film.

Really, they shouldn't have even bothered making this with such a sub-par storyline. Granted some of the effects were cool, there's one scene in a bathtub where water is falling upwards, hard to explain but very cool, and there were a few good scares, but it was really just stupid, played like a stalker flick. It was just a couple of steps removed from the cheese of Darkness Falls. Not as bad as that film, though. Like I said, a rental at best and that's if you're into horror films. There's nothing new in this one. And they don't even show the full tape. If this were it's own film, not a sequel, it would be terrible.

Guest willy.wonka

i didnt really like the first one.. i just liked the trippy black and white film. sure the first one had its little quirks and all, but it didnt do anyhting for me

everybody was telling me how scary it was, but it really was boring.

the ring was horrible....they made it twice and it was shitty both times. amazing.

good thing they made the grudge to prove that...

a) japanese horror movies are shit

and

b) the american remakes are even worse

when all is said and done i think god owes me 4.5 hours of my life back.....

You know what, fuck this movie. I haven't seen it, but I do have an ad in my AIM buddy list box that makes a motherfucking pop up add every time I do anything. Seriously Ring 2, just for your assfaggotry I will not watch you. I mean, I wouldn't have watched you anyway, but now I'm going to make a point of not watching you pretending I have friends that would ask me to go and see you. Fuck you Ring 2, and your fat mother too.

Originally posted by willy.wonka@Mar 17 2005, 06:56 PM

i didnt really like the first one.. i just liked the trippy black and white film. sure the first one had its little quirks and all, but it didnt do anyhting for me

everybody was telling me how scary it was, but it really was boring.

i agree with everyone who didnt like the first one. i thought some of the cinematography was good, but i wasnt impressed or scared by the ring at all. i laughed at everyone i was with who did think it was scary...sissies.

Originally posted by caffeine@Mar 18 2005, 05:59 PM

Was there a sequel in Japan?

Anyone seen the Japanese version of the Ring?

I wanted to know which one is supposebly more scary. People say the Japanese one is.

there isnt really a japanese ring 2 but there were a few offshoots like a ring 0, all crap. i didnt really like the japanese version. it had no pace to the storyline and the US version made a great improvement on that. although i did like the japanese samara better. i think her name was sadoko. because the j version had less of a budget the look tended to be darker instead of the US stylistic version.

I swear the japanese version are meant to be alot better than the american ones? I thought the ring was ok....it werent great it was pretty damn funny when the horse just randomely jumped off the boat....some fucked up shit.

The trailer for ring 2 looks like its just gona be another happening of the first movie....I dont see how they could have changed it that much to bring out a sequel?? :huh2: