The Railroads are hiring like crazy

KaBar2

A combination of circumstances have created a "boom" situation for hiring on the railroads. Since 9/11, the demand for rail transportation has skyrocketed. Retirement rules changes allowed thousands of veteran railroad employees to retire at age 60 instead of age 62, and thousands of them have done just that. Increased container freight traffic has caused an increased demand for containerized intermodal freight service. The war in Iraq and Afghanistan has caused a big upsurge in military rail traffic. Union Pacific recently announced they are hiring 5,000 new employees.

IF YOU WANT TO WORK FOR THE RAIROAD, NOW IS THE TIME.

Wages are good, benefits are great, retirement is almost as good military retirement benefits (not quite, but almost.) It's a GOOD UNION JOB.

You can apply online. There are railroad schools, too, that give you a two-year Associate degree in railroad operations. I wish I was in my twenties, I'd definately hire on and work towards being an engineer.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i knew a writer who worked for the rr once

he said he hated it. he said it sucked to work around trains for 12 hrs and then be around trains on his off time benching and painting. he burned out on trains.

but a class1 like UP probably pays really good. if i lived out west i would go for it.

be read if you apply.You will have no life for the first 5 years at least.You will be on call 24 hours a day and everyday of the year that is not a holiday.I actually looked into this.Believe me when i say talk to rail employees so you know what you are getting into.If possible talk to the yard master usually he will give you the pros and cons.Oh and if you do decide to work for the RR do not be a candy dancer.They have the worst job in the business.

Track Maintenance isn't all bad

A lot of the old backbreaking labor is done by machines now. Track maintence these days is pretty much like any other heavy-duty construction job, and less strenuous and dangerous than something like Combat Engineers in the Marines. New guys start on the pick and shovel jobs, but from what I can see, they spend most of their time standing around holding up a shovel, watching some older guy run a backhoe. Again--it's a GOOD UNION JOB with good benefits, and very nearly recession proof.

yeah i was thinking of doing that as a summer job with CN but you gotta apply in march, i might do that next year.. i wouldnt like to do it as a career though, first it cost a lot of money to go study 2 years with the worst geeks guys on earth in a far rail school, then yeah..you get tired of being around trains when you spent your whole week-end painting the, and i've got better plans for my life

but i agree that it could be useful for monday morning yard dayflicks ;)

• 3 years later...

Hell the RR's are still hiring now, alot of them are trying to appeal to returning Military Veterans. All kinds of jobs are available, from freight car repairers, signal maintainers, to conductors. I'm acutually in the application process for a conductor position now, trying to stay where its warm in the South, I don't wanna be hangin' off a boxcar with isicles on it...

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived