Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

The Railroads are hiring like crazy

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by KaBar2, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KaBar2

KaBar2 Senior Member

A combination of circumstances have created a "boom" situation for hiring on the railroads. Since 9/11, the demand for rail transportation has skyrocketed. Retirement rules changes allowed thousands of veteran railroad employees to retire at age 60 instead of age 62, and thousands of them have done just that. Increased container freight traffic has caused an increased demand for containerized intermodal freight service. The war in Iraq and Afghanistan has caused a big upsurge in military rail traffic. Union Pacific recently announced they are hiring 5,000 new employees.

IF YOU WANT TO WORK FOR THE RAIROAD, NOW IS THE TIME.

Wages are good, benefits are great, retirement is almost as good military retirement benefits (not quite, but almost.) It's a GOOD UNION JOB.

You can apply online. There are railroad schools, too, that give you a two-year Associate degree in railroad operations. I wish I was in my twenties, I'd definately hire on and work towards being an engineer.

2. ZedIsAlive

ZedIsAlive Junior Member

i knew a writer who worked for the rr once
    he said he hated it. he said it sucked to work around trains for 12 hrs and then be around trains on his off time benching and painting. he burned out on trains.
    but a class1 like UP probably pays really good. if i lived out west i would go for it.

3. Kirby p

Kirby p Senior Member

does anyone know how stringent the rules on having a misdemeanor figure in the hiring process...i got a disorderly conduct charge and it says that you can't get hired online for UP...

holy shit if got to work in that smell...

4. InnerCityRebel

InnerCityRebel Veteran Member

be read if you apply.You will have no life for the first 5 years at least.You will be on call 24 hours a day and everyday of the year that is not a holiday.I actually looked into this.Believe me when i say talk to rail employees so you know what you are getting into.If possible talk to the yard master usually he will give you the pros and cons.Oh and if you do decide to work for the RR do not be a candy dancer.They have the worst job in the business.

5. ZedIsAlive

ZedIsAlive Junior Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

gandy dancer.

6. InnerCityRebel

InnerCityRebel Veteran Member

whoops my bad..:lol: :lol:

7. KaBar2

KaBar2 Senior Member

Track Maintenance isn't all bad

A lot of the old backbreaking labor is done by machines now. Track maintence these days is pretty much like any other heavy-duty construction job, and less strenuous and dangerous than something like Combat Engineers in the Marines. New guys start on the pick and shovel jobs, but from what I can see, they spend most of their time standing around holding up a shovel, watching some older guy run a backhoe. Again--it's a GOOD UNION JOB with good benefits, and very nearly recession proof.

8. mikro137

mikro137 Guest

i beg to differ with the recession proof comment. however , its recession freindly with tenure im sure.

9. Turners Tea

Turners Tea Member

I doubt they'll hire me with 2 felonies. :(

10. FR8HOUND

FR8HOUND Dirty Dozen Crew

I-patch-clan said it right....it aint a summer picnic, thats for sure...

11. ghostvandal

ghostvandal Senior Member

yeah i was thinking of doing that as a summer job with CN but you gotta apply in march, i might do that next year.. i wouldnt like to do it as a career though, first it cost a lot of money to go study 2 years with the worst geeks guys on earth in a far rail school, then yeah..you get tired of being around trains when you spent your whole week-end painting the, and i've got better plans for my life

but i agree that it could be useful for monday morning yard dayflicks ;)

12. 83.

83. Member

gettin busted painting freights killed that plan for me. i was really going to go for it. hahaha. im a fuckin loser. i blew it.

13. Bosco

Bosco Member

Hell the RR's are still hiring now, alot of them are trying to appeal to returning Military Veterans. All kinds of jobs are available, from freight car repairers, signal maintainers, to conductors. I'm acutually in the application process for a conductor position now, trying to stay where its warm in the South, I don't wanna be hangin' off a boxcar with isicles on it...

14. rolling nowhere

rolling nowhere Elite Member

still a loser.
    jeez.

15. spectr

spectr Guest

shit I might have to check this out...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.