The Photoshop/Illustrator Help Thread

8onus

Figured untitled needed this to avoid becoming swamped with questions all over the place. It would be nice to see this young part of the forum not become like the yard with 20 threads asking the same question.

We seem to have a good balance of pros and novices on here, post them questions.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

^^^^

i just got illustrator, i am very familiar in photoshop but this shit is different!

i am trying to cut a peice out of and image, i use the lasso to cut it out, and when i ctrl x, i get nothing, nothing happens, am i missing something here?

i can try to help, i am fairly familiar w/ illustrator. if you are trying to cut/copy a selection from photoshop to illustrator. the photoshop file must be set up coorectly. illustrator will not accept jpgs or gifs. make sure your file is one of the following, tiff. psd. or photoshop eps.

also here are some good tutorial sites for photoshop

tutorial1

tutorial 2

also seeking is right, for a sharp edge, you should learn how to use the pen tool(you will need to anyway to do anything in illustrator) convert the "path" into a clipping path or a vector mask in the transpearancy pallet. then you can export them as working paths to illustrator.

Originally posted by 8onus@Mar 30 2005, 04:40 AM

^^^^

i just got illustrator, i am very familiar in photoshop but this shit is different!

i am trying to cut a peice out of and image, i use the lasso to cut it out, and when i ctrl x, i get nothing, nothing happens, am i missing something here?

the lasso tool in Illsutrator is different from the lasso tool in photoshop. The AI lasso will allow you to select indivudual points and line segments or entire objects. If you want to select or cut bits of illustrator objects, you need to use the pathfinder and use two or more overlapping shapes to cut the shape you want.

The pathfinder is a really powerful tool and i suggest learning how to use its features.

I know the people here who want to ask questions, are here because theyre fammilar/comfortable with this forum, but come on guys, there are forums that are specificly designed to help people with photoshop/illustrator that have tutorials and everything. I'm not saying that there arent qualified people here to give advice, I could help with a lot of problems, but if you took the time to google and find a forum that has nothing be photoshop nerds as members then you would get the most out of your questions there.

just my 2 cents...

Originally posted by WeakSauce@Apr 3 2005, 03:05 PM

I know the people here who want to ask questions, are here because theyre fammilar/comfortable with this forum, but come on guys, there are forums that are specificly designed to help people with photoshop/illustrator that have tutorials and everything. I'm not saying that there arent qualified people here to give advice, I could help with a lot of problems, but if you took the time to google and find a forum that has nothing be photoshop nerds as members then you would get the most out of your questions there.

just my 2 cents...

i will tell you exactly why. you see, some of us are poor ass bamas. wether we're artists, bums, kids whatever, we are broke as shit. we do not have legal copies of photoshop/illustrator, therefor we cannot contact adobe with questions or log on to sites requiring a cd key or registration.

on the other hand if you have links to unofficial sites or shit you dont need registration for...by all means post em.

I have a decent idea for this thread.

How about a series of how-to's.

Anyone can feel free to take their finished image and through a series of screenshots, go through the steps of what you did, what your thought process was, what tools you used, what problems you ran into... etc.

I've basically lost all grasp of Illustrator due to the fact that I left halfway through every night class last semester in order to squeeze the gym in between getting shithoused at the bar for monday night football.

Anyone else feeling like a tutorial style format?