the party is over

Future Droid

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/01/30/healt...reut/index.html

Drinking joins smoking as cancer risk

Monday, January 30, 2006; Posted: 9:44 a.m. EST (14:44 GMT)

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Along with smoking and chronic infections, alcohol consumption is an important cause of several types of cancer, researchers said on Monday.

Excessive drinking raises the risk of cancer of the mouth, larynx, oesophagus, liver, colon and breast. It may also be linked with cancer of the pancreas and lung.

"Alcohol is underestimated as a cause of cancer in many parts of the world," said Dr Paolo Boffetta of the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) in Lyon, France.

"A sizeable proportion of cancer today is due to alcohol intake and this is increasing in many regions, particularly in east Asia and eastern Europe," he added in an interview.

Boffetta and Mia Hashibe, who reviewed research into the link between alcohol and cancer, found the more alcohol consumed, the higher the risk of developing cancer.

But they advised people to drink moderately, rather than give up alcohol completely, because of its protective benefits against cardiovascular disease.

"Total avoidance of alcohol, although optimum for cancer control, cannot be recommended in terms of broad perspective of public health, in particular in countries with high incidence of cardiovascular disease," Boffetta said in a report in The Lancet Oncology journal.

Instead, the scientists said men and women should limit how much alcohol they drink to reap the benefits but avoid the dangers.

"The most recent version of the European code against cancer recommends keeping daily consumption to two drinks for men and one for women," Boffetta noted.

In developed countries in 2000, the World Health Organisation (WHO) estimates that alcohol caused 185,000 deaths in men and 142,000 in women, but it prevented 71,000 male deaths and 277,000 female deaths in the same year.

In developing countries, where there are fewer cases of cardiovascular disease, alcohol was linked with 1.52 million deaths in men and 301,000 in women.

The scientists found that alcohol-related diseases were a particular problem in central and Eastern Europe.

"Alcohol is probably the main factor responsible for increased risk of head and neck cancer recorded in various countries, particularly in central and east Europe," said Boffetta.

Exactly how alcohol increases the odds of developing cancer is not clear but genetic susceptibility is an important component.

"Given the linear dose-response relation between alcohol intake and risk of cancer, control of heavy drinking remains the main target for cancer control," Boffetta added.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Lonesome Cowboy Bill@Jan 31 2006, 02:45 PM

"The most recent version of the European code against cancer recommends keeping daily consumption to two drinks for men and one for women," Boffetta noted.

lately I've been drinking only once a week...and if I read correctly, it says 14 drinks a week, so that averages it out for me...

actually having nothing all week and then hitting the bars hard for 2 days is probably a lot worse for you than having acouple of drinks a night.

everone knows that drinking is not healthy and that there has been specific links to many diseases, but the fact that an actual study links it to cancer should draw some attention. i drink a lot, and i know that i will at least be more aware now. i saw the report on cnn, and thought some people who dont read news might be interested. guess not.

Guest im not witty
Originally posted by el hamburgler@Feb 1 2006, 12:23 AM

what would count as one drink? getting drunk? a beer? glass of wine? shot of vodka?

it might say it in the article but i dont feel like reading it so someone enlighten me

what would count as one drink?!? how about one fucking drink shithead? what did you think the article that was TOO LONG TO READ(aka about 15 sentences) said? that 3 beers count as one drink? youre new here and from what ive seen you are worthless.

So you're takin' better care of your body

Becoming more aware of your body.

Responding to your body's needs.

Everything you hear and read about diets,

Nutrition and sleeping position and detoxifying your system,

And buying machines that they advertise to help you exercise.

Herbs to revitalize you if you're traumatized.

Soaps that will sanitize.

Sprays to deordorize.

Liquid to neutralize acids and pesticides.

Free weights to maximize your strength and muscle size.

Shots that will immunize.

Pills to re-energize you.

But remember that for all your pain and gain

Eventually the story ends the same...

You can quite smokin', but you're still gonna die.

Cut out cokin', but you're still gonna die.

Eliminate everything fatty or fried,

And you get real healthy, but you're still gonna die.

Stop drinkin' booze, you're still gonna die.

Stay away from cooze, you're still gonna die.

You can cut out coffee and never get high,

But you're still gonna, still gonna, still gonna die.

You're still gonna, still gonna, still gonna die.

Still gonna, still gonna, still gonna die.

You can even give aerobics one more try,

But when the music stops playin', you're still gonna die.

Put seat belts in your car, you're still gonna die.

Cut nicotine tar, you're still gonna die.

You can exercise that cellulite off your thigh.

Get slimmer and trimmer, but you're still gonna die.

Stop gettin' a tan, you're still gonna die.

You can search for UFO's up in the sky

They might fly you to Mars where you're still gonna die.

And all the Reeboks and Nikes and Adidas you buy

You can jog up to heaven and you're still gonna die.

Drink ginseng tonics, you're still gonna die.

Try high colonics, you're still gonna die.

You can have yourself frozen and suspended in time,

But when they do thaw you out, you're still gonna die.

You can have safe sex, you're still gonna die.

You can switch to Crest, you're still gonna die.

You can get rid of stress, get a lot of rest,

Get an AIDS test, enroll in EST,

Move out west where it's sunny and dry

And you'll live to be a hundred

But you're still gonna die.

So you'd better have some fun

'Fore you say bye-bye,

'Cause you're still gonna, still gonna, still gonna die.

Originally posted by Some1@Jan 31 2006, 05:04 PM

umm you will when some fucking christian group wants to bring back prohibition

tipplers.jpg

bootlegging for life

i know plenty of people who support prohibition that are very proud atheists...

i'm not even a little bit surprised to read that, well surprised it took this long for that information to come out...

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by beardo@Jan 31 2006, 06:32 PM

look around you. how many people have died from alcohol cancer. exactly. cheers.

And if they have a problem wit drinking me and my boys will fucking beat them up in the parking lot of da club...fuck yeah, get crunk, get cancer, skeet skeet