1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

the media is completly out of hand....(the dc sniper case and things of that nature)

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by boogie hands, Oct 22, 2002.

1. boogie hands

boogie hands 12oz Legend

the media is completly out of hand....(the dc sniper case and things of that nature)

Discussion started by boogie hands - Oct 22, 2002

from what ive seen its obviously been a while since there has been any real discussion and since my girl and myself had this discussion today ill run it by you guys....

should the media have a set of boundaries?? on one hand you have something that makes america great...freedom of the press...then on the other hand you also have situations where the media makes a situatuion worse or even, in the worst case, leaks information that shouldnt be broadcast. ive been noticing how harmful the media has been during this sniper fiasco. for instance...does the media really need to broadcast the fact that the police are putting up check points along 95 to find the DC sniper? probably not but hey, if they are the first people on that story that will notch up the cost of advertising by at least a few thousand dollars!!! its seems to me a lot more could be accomplished if the media would keep theyre mouths closed and let certain agencies do theyre jobs instead of giving everyone in america the heads up on what prevenative mesures are being taken to put a stop to the situation. in this sniper case i really have to take my hat off to charles moose for keeping things under wrap in order to get the job done...it nice to see someone who cares more about the people than making the 6 oclock news. im getting off on a little rant here but the question is, is freedom of the press becoming more harmful than good in these situations? i watched cnn for a bit tonight and i have to tell you it came across not as informative but as entertainment, which i was a bit disgusted by. im tired of seeing tragedy turned into entertainment for white trash reality tv watching peices of shit....there needs to be some boundaries....its a fucking circus and im 99% sure in situations like these the media does more harm that good....

this is scattered, i know, but id like to see some input...

is media helping to bring awarness or simply exploiting events for the sake of being "first on the scene", while simultaniously broadcasting key information thats making law enforcements job that much harder...

shoot...

boogie hands - Rank: 12oz Legend - Messages:
  2. ~KRYLON2~

~KRYLON2~ 12oz Loyalist

~KRYLON2~ - Replied Oct 22, 2002

fuck the media

~KRYLON2~ - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  3. WhAt_dA_fUcK

WhAt_dA_fUcK 12oz Senior Member

WhAt_dA_fUcK - Replied Oct 22, 2002

no offense but there isnt a reason to argue about it cuz nothing can be changed the bill of rights and the constitution were so vaguely written in its time that its suprisingly easy to manipulate it for generations to come....for any manner any reason any way....but lifes a bitch then you wake up next to a toilet and realize this is all a dream..

WhAt_dA_fUcK - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  4. yoink

yoink 12oz Elite Member

yoink - Replied Oct 22, 2002

the media are all vultures scanning anything for prey and eanything to exploit and then just fucking make a circus out of it...granted its a right and the people love it and we all deserve to get in on the know....but jesus christ where do they get these fucks working for em? there horrible sometimes, completely retarded and 99% of the time seem to be fucking lacking of any common sense what so ever(esp. in this case right now)
    anyways yeah im kinda fed up with them....

yoink - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  5. SHELLTOES

SHELLTOES 12oz Member

SHELLTOES - Replied Oct 22, 2002

yeah. the media is blowing shit up. the shooter is gettin a kick out of it all. hes gettin high off the fame. if there wasnt so much coverage, id guarantee he'd be caught by now

SHELLTOES - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  6. fr8lover

fr8lover Guest

fr8lover - Replied Oct 22, 2002

the media doesnt seem to realize the harm they do in situations like this. as a deaf dumb and blind kid i used to ogle the news as if it were a credible source of information. i used to think they were doing us a service by bringing all of this stuff to our attention and following stories by getting as much information as possible.

now i see its all bullshit.

as in everything MONEY is the prime factor for news outlets. we get more coverage, we get more dough. simple as that. as much as they tell you they care and have empathy for victims in any situation they dont, its all dollar signs to them.

im sure big media is PRAYING this dude continues to kill so they get more viewers and more money for ads. once they do get the guy then they will dive into the "LOOKING BACK ON THE DC SNIPER: WHAT HIS 4TH GRADE TEACHER THOUGHT OF HIM" bullshit and milk that for as much as they can get.

tv is lying to you kids straight to your faces but we watch it anyway, be it out of valid care for whats going on or morose interest.

think about it like this. if you live a fruitful happy life nbc aint getting anything out of you so you dont matter. if you get gunned down by a sniper, CHA CHING youre short life is making bank for some rich cat swilling brandy and smoking a cuban in his penthouse sweet.

aint it grand?

7. yoink

yoink 12oz Elite Member

yoink - Replied Oct 22, 2002

the only thing i support is law enforcement using the media as a communication tool which of course is fucking common sense again...but yet cnn seems to fucking think there special that there in the middle of it...whatever off the point but to continue speculatinog, glorifying any part of it (him being a coward, or him being a badass trained miliatary gi joe etc..yacka yacka..) is just stupid, everyone knows this person is at home completely wrapped up in this. like he said they just need to tone this shit down and not fucking act like there the criminal experts in this.

yoink - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  8. WhAt_dA_fUcK

WhAt_dA_fUcK 12oz Senior Member

WhAt_dA_fUcK - Replied Oct 22, 2002

either that or hed realize that he isnt being heard and try a different manner of doing thigs.......gotta appreciate variety

WhAt_dA_fUcK - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  9. socrates

socrates Guest

socrates - Replied Oct 22, 2002

I think everything that doesn't involve a phone # or address should be made public, this guy has been doing this shit for 20 days now and we know two things he like guns and can't make a good english sentence, that describes 80% of the NBA. No prints No cars No witness. This guy is goos and the only way to hope to prevent more killings is publisize everything he sends them, he's crazy and smart so if he tells you not to tell the press or he will kill people, guess what....he's still gonna go kill people he doesn't actually care about what we do he know he can't do it forever and he will lead them on enough wild goose chases to get his numbers up so that he will be remembered forever...Gun Control at it's finest...

10. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Oct 22, 2002

11. socrates

socrates Guest

socrates - Replied Oct 22, 2002

never said I could

12. imported_grim540

imported_grim540 12oz Member

imported_grim540 - Replied Oct 22, 2002

Hell, criminals have been using the media to their advantage for awhile. If I was a terrorist I would be taking notes from CNN and the newspapers. I never even would have considered the threat of dirty bombs and attacking the food and water supplys till CNN brought it up.

Another thing, noticehow the sniper moved farther away from the DC area when it was reported that a militray survailence(sp?) plane was patroling the imediate DC area. Next thing you know, he goes to Ashland, this guy isn't an idiot he probably watches the news before he goes out to kill.

Hell I kept the news on this morning and listened to them report the same thing over and over for 6 hours, pretty much the only update they had was if a local officer was scracthing his ass.

and dont get me started on the whole anthrax fiasco

imported_grim540 - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  13. EatMorGlue

EatMorGlue 12oz Senior Member

EatMorGlue - Replied Oct 23, 2002

there's a line in waking life about this... something like: the purpose of the media has never been to inform, but to acclimatize the masses. i know that isn't how it goes in the movie.. but the main point being the media's intent has never been information.

if it was.. why are they always reporting things which haven't been confirmed yet? this was most obvious on 9/11... they were reporting anything they could get.. and they would of course use jouralistic qualifications like "this hasn't been confirmed yet, but..." well if it hasn't been confirmed, what fucking good is it to anybody reporting it?

i'm actually really surprised with how they blow things up that we aren't seeing copy cat sniper events across the country. or maybe i just haven't given it enough time yet.

but then at the same time.. freedom of press. if the government puts restrictions on what is/isn't allowed to be aired on the news (let's assume explicit restrictions and save the conspiracy theories for another thread) then who decides this and where do they/we/whoever draw the line? a muted media to me is just as scary as an out of control media.

so this is a pretty big predicament, but i think that decentralization of the media could possibly solve this. ten companies control virtually all media in this country. if this oligopoly is effectively broken up with restrictions put in place to prevent a new one from forming, and if airwaves are given back to the people via government grants to create public media (unlike the joke it is now e.g. public access tv), then the focus on advertising money (and thus high ratings) is essentially eliminated. the thing i love the most about this (idealistic at best, unrealistic at worst) approach is that the relentless commercial advertisement bludgeoning of the american people through all forms of media will decrease exponentially. commercial hype will die, perhaps there's a chance that "informational" hype will decrease too so that news will be reduced to information. journalistic integrity will become practice as opposed to theory taught to journalism majors. because really, i think that's at the heart of this issue... journalistic integrity. what do you report? what do you not report? etc.

there's a really incredible article by robert mcchesney about this which i take most of my arguments from called "making media democratic":
    http://bostonreview.mit.edu/BR23.3/mcchesney.html

EatMorGlue - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  14. STORYTELLER

STORYTELLER New Jack

STORYTELLER - Replied Oct 23, 2002

there was a reply that said that there is nothing that can be done, fuck that, i dont know about yall but should'nt everybody on this site be a writer, yet most on this channel zero thread are fucking pussies, go and fucking destroy shit, you got beef with a news channel, go to their fucking headquarters and fucking bomb the shit, not only that, throw a fucking molotov through the window, you got beef with a fucking toy, cut his pinky off and make him eat it, you got beef with a cop, follow the fucker to his house and give him a message, be fucking destructive man, fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck, do something, just fucking do something.

STORYTELLER - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  15. -MOE LESTER-

-MOE LESTER- Guest

-MOE LESTER- - Replied Oct 23, 2002

NOTICE HOW THE MEDIA WENT AROUND OPENLY INSULTING THE SNIPER...SAYING HIS SHOTS WERE PROBABLY LUCKY AND THAT HE WAS AN INNEXPERIANCED SNIPER?? THEN THE NEXT DAY HE CAPS SOME FOOL IN THE HEAD!! hes a sav though