the marvelous opposable thumb

ubejinxed

don't oppose this thumb buddy.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/melandcharlie/photo/thumbw2.jpg'>

so useful, i always think what wonderful ingenously designed things we possess. (unlike my retahded dual bathroom faucets that are either hot or cold)

i was just pondering my thumb the other day as i was hanging a couple grocery bags off em and thought i'd find out more about my familiar friend the thumb

In human anatomy, the thumb is the first digit on a hand. The human thumb is fully opposable to the tips of the other fingers in that it may position itself, and be folded inward, toward the rest of the hand and fingers, if so required. It rotates at the carpometacarpal joint and so can complete the sometimes quite delicate task of grasping objects by pressing them against the rest of the hand or finger(s).

Evolution

The opposable or prehensile thumb is usually associated with the evolution of homo habilis, the forerunner of homo sapiens (the human being of today). This, however, is the result of evolution from homo erectus (around 1 million years ago) via a series of intermediate anthropoid stages, and is therefore a much more complicated link.

A discussion of primate characteristics is often included during units on human evolution. One of the characteristics most often identified as being typically primate and having played a role in human evolution is the opposable thumb. It is argued that the eye-hand coordination made possible by both stereoscopic vision and a grasping hand permitted primates to exploit arboreal habitats in a more efficient fashion. That same hand is used by humans today to manipulate tools and, in turn, the environment with a great deal of dexterity.

The most important factor leading to the habile hand (and its thumb) is the freeing of the hands from their walking requirements - still so crucial for apes today, which in its turn was one of the consequences of the gradual pithecanthropoid and anthropoid adoption (hunh?) of the erect bipedal walking gait - and the simultaneous development of a larger anthropoid brain in the later stages.

Many animals, primates and others, also have some kind of opposable thumb or toe:

Panda - Panda paws have five clawed fingers plus an extra bone that works like an opposable thumb. This "thumb" is not really a finger (like our thumb is), but an extra-long wrist bone that works like a thumb.

Koala - opposable toe on each foot, plus two opposable digits on each hand

Opossum - opposable thumb

Cebids (New World primates of Central and South America) - some have opposable thumbs

Bornean Orangutan - opposable thumbs so that its forefeet are really like hands. The interdigital grip gives them the ability to pick fruit. They also have an opposable big toe.

this aint your areavge handshake no sir

http://images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/16/1747.jpg'>

http://www.cctg.org/news/experiences/DSC00010.jpg'>

http://www.symphony-homes.com/boy%20thumbs%20up.jpg'>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

can i tell you something ricardo? i really like your signature i have a serious thing for tanned pool boys, would you like a glass of lemonade?why did you add it?

i use my thumb for carrying groceries, pushing the space bar, pinching things and much more, how about you?

I almost broke my thumb going into the Skydome the other day. I was the first fan into the stadium (I like to go early for batting practise) and while my thumb was still in the door handle, some old lady jerked it open and I let out a yelp of pain. I would have grabbed her purse and beat her over the head with it for being so thoughtless. *but I didn’t, I assure you.

Originally posted by Weapon X

I can’t quite put my finger on it, but something about this thread really does creep me out. :o

well, just think about it this way, if you didn't have thumbs,

you wouldn't be able to play your video games...

so be happy you have thumbs.

Originally posted by slave_one

well, just think about it this way, if you didn't have thumbs,

you wouldn't be able to play your video games...

so be happy you have thumbs.

You’re right! I actually really, really appreciate this thread now! Smart.

Yeah, if you wanna talk about creepy, Uma Thurman with foot long thumbs is that.

Archived