The Mars Volta

Dr. Dazzle

marsvolta_scabdates188x175.jpg

Maybe I'm just out of the loop but I stumbled upon The Mars Volta's new live album last night by complete accident. It's rather impressive how their live shows consist of lots and lots of impromptu jamming. Really makes it more than just a standard live album.

Kind of makes me regret not going to see them when they played here with System of a Down. But then I remember that tickets were $60. And they were playing with System of a Down.

Anyway you can check the whole album out on streaming media here.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by dumy@Dec 24 2005, 12:23 PM

man, at the drive in was an awesome band...

You ever seen the dvd? Rediculous. A lot of their early shows in el paso. I would have loved to have

seen them live. A friend and I have had many discussions about the transition from ATDI and The Volta.

I sorta feel like eventually had ATDI stayed together they would have started doing the same stuff as the

Volta, but by just ending the band and starting anew with the different concept they just skipped right to

this point in time without all the bullshit fame in between...

Originally posted by shape1369+Dec 24 2005, 11:53 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shape1369 - Dec 24 2005, 11:53 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-dumy@Dec 24 2005, 12:23 PM

man, at the drive in was an awesome band...

You ever seen the dvd? Rediculous. A lot of their early shows in el paso. I would have loved to have

seen them live. A friend and I have had many discussions about the transition from ATDI and The Volta.

I sorta feel like eventually had ATDI stayed together they would have started doing the same stuff as the

Volta, but by just ending the band and starting anew with the different concept they just skipped right to

this point in time without all the bullshit fame in between...

[/b]

they ended atdi because of musical differences that they just couldnt deal with anymore. thats why some formed sparta and some went to volta.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Yet another band that I feel are great fucking musicians who make amazing music, but for the most part I can't fucking stand listening to them.

Dazzle- I'm not sure, I'll ask my boy and get back with you

Boxcars- I know they broke up for musical differences, but shit nearly all the members of ATDI are in Volta.

Albeit the drummer does the effects now right? and they picked up like two new people while dropping like

one?

Thats why I feel that the Volta is the next progression of what ATDI was doing. You can here so much of the

weird noise breaks that Volta has in a lot of the funky later songs that ATDI started doing. Either way, they

both rock, and Sparta blows... end of story...

Sparta does blow.

They've got a few songs that I dig but for the most part that shit's bushwacker. I got to see them live (for free) a few years back and the drummer kept going out of time and basically destroyed any hope for what I already wasn't feeling.

f00206pupb6.jpg

How Do You Dub? You Fight for Dub, You Plug Dub In

De Facto's Cedric Bixler, Omar Rodriquez Lopez (At The Drive-In),Isaiah Owens and Jeremy Ward. It's really fucked up instrumental dub/reggae and it's better than Sparta.

Originally posted by shape1369+Dec 24 2005, 11:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shape1369 - Dec 24 2005, 11:48 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>touche... i have just started getting into them, so im not entirely up on the history, aside from the musical direction...

[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-shape1369@Dec 25 2005, 03:44 AM

buck fush also wins a cookie

you suck, noob

I stand by my sparta does not suck comment

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by El Mamerro@Dec 24 2005, 01:49 PM

Yet another band that I feel are great fucking musicians who make amazing music, but for the most part I can't fucking stand listening to them.

EXACTLY. I bought there last album and listened to it maybe twice. I could tell it was significant but with the execption of track 2 The Widow and track 4 Miranda the rest didn't make me want to listen over and over again...but don't mind me, I primarily listen to rap anyways