The Lone Star State...

SukiSukiNow

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Poop Man Bob

I lived there for 22 years until I moved to Austin a couple of years ago. Click the email button and drop me a line - I'll answer any and all questions you have.

I clicked your email, too, as I've had trouble receiving emails through 12oz previously.

ahhhhhhhhhh!!! life saver!!! email me!!! sookigirl@aol.com

I was born in Houston and left several times back in the day, but I've been here since 1989. It's HOT and HUMID, but there are some good things about this city too. You'll probably need a car unless you move close to a bus line. Houston was a shit-kickin' cowboy city when I was a kid, but these days everybody likes to think of Houston as an "international city." Houston is 50% black, about 25% Latino, 15% white and 10% Asian or "other." It's what is called a bull'seye city, with a mostly black/Latino city center surrounded by wealthier, mostly white suburbs and "gated communities."

In the last five or ten years, a big push has come to revitalize "downtown." A new convention center was built (they tore down block after block of low-rent hotels, now the poor people are homeless), a new baseball stadium was built (first called Enron Field, now Minute-Maid Park,) a new convertible football stadium (Reliant Stadium--named after the local electric utility), the baseline surface-level METRO Rail line was built running between downtown and the Texas Medical Center (7-1/2 miles) tied into the bus lines. They are beginning plans to begin adding branch lines now, eventually it will provide service to both airports, Bush International Airport and Hobby Airport.

Houston has several universities--University of Houston, Rice University and St. Thomas University, as well as branches of the University of Texas Medical School, UT Nursing School, Prairie View A&M and a bunch of community colleges--Houston Community College, San Jacinto Community College, Wharton County Junior College, North Montgomery County Community College, etc.

The economy is doing pretty well, lots of jobs, especially if you are in health services. RNs start at about $25 an hour ($50,000/yr), and up. One friend of mine works at Ben Taub Gen Hosp and is making $31 an hour($62,000/yr.) Pediatric ICU--$36/hr ($72,000/yr.)

Most experienced clerical and office positions start around $12-13 an hour, same for jobs like welders, truck drivers, machine operators, etc. Low-end jobs, like McDonald's or groundskeeper start around $8-9 an hour. I don't know anybody who is unemployed who wants to work, but most of my friends are older, in their late thirties to forties and have to work to make house notes, car notes, etc.

Housing is kind of expensive. Low end for a one-bedroom apt is probably about $500/month. A decent apt probably $750-800. A two bedroom house in a relatively safe neighborhood around $900 and up. I'm buying a house, four small bedrooms, in a so-so lower-middle-class neighborhood, and my house note is about $785.

Houston has a lot in common with Los Angeles or Atlanta--lots of freeways. The climate is almost exactly like New Orleans. It rains a lot. It's hot and humid, and we get hurricanes. It snows in the winter a little bit about once every ten years. We have "bayous" coursing through the city for drainage (it floods here bigtime.) Before you buy a house or rent an apartment, you need to check out the boundaries of the last big flood. I drive a pick-up truck. Never been flooded out, but every time it rains hard I see scores of little Hondas, Nissans and Geos and whatnot under water. Small, low-to-the-ground cars are a BAD IDEA in Houston, in my opinion. It floods a couple of feet deep on major thoroughfares when it rains hard. NEVER drive through a flooded underpass here in a hard rain. It might be fifteen foot deep water under there, but of course if other cars are doing it, you could too. (Every time it floods, somebody drowns in their car in a flooded underpass.)

Enough about Houston--I'm giving myself a headache.

Gosh, thanks for all the input... ^^^ makes me even more scared about moving to Houston. Hurricanes??? Floods??? WTF? I got a small one bedroom in the Montrose area, I had to be near the gay boys.

I also bought a small business in The Woodlands. Yeah it's a drive but I'm used to driving from LA to Orange County everyday. Traffic? Can it be any worse than helL.A.? It's only for a year, I have to keep telling myself that to save my sanity, then I'm moving back to good old San Francisco. Does it ever cool down in Houston??? When will it start cooling down? I just got back from a business trip to Chicago and it was hot and humid there, I thought I was gonna melt and suffocate!

It would be nice to meet some of you who live in the area =)

Archived