The Linux Thread

Guest Sparoism

Guest Sparoism

I recently got into this whole Linux thing, and I'm hooked.

I figure there has to be some Linux users here, and I thought I'd get the jump off and start a thread so we could post some tips, or share apps...as this is all open source, there's no legality issues.

The reason I don't want to do this in the Computer thread is that I want to keep the two seperate. Since there are a lot of folks who are into this or thinking about trying it out, I can see the two not coexisting very well...confusion is mostly what I intend to avoid. Plus, it will help to keep things on topic.

So, currently I'm using a live CD version, Puppy 1.0.6. It fits an entire OS into 50 mb, and runs completely off of a CD. That's ONE PERCENT of the size of my Windows XP install....wowsers!

So, if the mods that be would be so kind as to let this play out, I'm curious to see how many other Linux users we have here, and what they have to offer.

I'm not too interested in Freebsd, unless there's some compelling arguments to be presented in its favor.

So, who's with me?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest beardo

i fucked around with it a bit when i was living with the UBER computer nerd. shit is the business if youre into sitting around and learning all that language.

i did use 'the gimp' a little bit, the open source version of photoshop. its not very user friendly, but it gets the job done.

Hhaha, c'mon man... 95% of these people have a hard time with windows...

They're not gonna be using linux... but anyhow, you might get lucky and get some of the Mac folks in here

raving about the unix based osx... It's overdue for me to make another linux box.... and linux is very awesome....

It's just beyond alot of computer users.

Guest Sparoism

Linux is somewhat over my head, for now...it's that or suffer through Windows some more. I can learn.

I just need to learn some of the terms.

One of the things I have read about linux, is it's not an operating system like windows that you're going to be

able to know EVERYTHING about... you can, and most people/sysadmins, get by knowing just what

they need to know to get done what they're trying to do.... so it's not something that you will completely understand

in a couple months, you just learn as you go and read alot, there's a TON of information for linux on the internet.

Guest Sparoism

That's what I'm coming to realize. The install I used luckily has most of the apps I need everyday...I just need to get slsk running, then it's all gravy.

look up pyslsk... it's a python based slsk client... you can find info about it on the slsk website... I think in the forums...

I love the way some of the dekstops look in linux... and they have all these cool meters that you can always see....

not to mention haveing FOUR desktops... that's always cool, you can have like work spaces that way that you can

switch in between very quickly and do different tasks... like be full screen editing a photo on one, and then be able

to switch to one where you have all your music folders open and an mp3 player playing....

it's really cool stuff and super efficient as far as system resources go.

Guest Sparoism

So, the new plan is to build a Mini-ITX machine. What do you know about these? They look really cool.

Someday, I think the comp I am on right now will be Linux, but I'm not quite ready to kick XP outta the house..

Guest Sparoism

I think the custom builds were the hook for me.

The mobo is the size of a CD case. As long as you can get proper venting and it fits into whatever "case" you plan to use, and you can cut some slots for the ports and a DVD drive, it's all good.

Originally posted by sarcasm@Jan 8 2006, 04:57 PM

i've never fucked aroud w/ linux, but my friend is all about that. i tried it out, and was too lazy at the time to learn all the language and stuff.

but i got a powerbook running tiger. shit's sexy and perfect for me

linux is pretty hott been into it for a couple years, best thing is customizing everything, if you into pogramming try fuckin wit da Sams Linux Programming. its aight if you got understanding of Linux kernels and C.

Windows break, Penguins are flexible.

well..if i only ever used one computer... i would learn to customize everything.. but since im jumping around pretty often.. its annoying to have lots of custom hotkeys and shortcuts set.. because when i get on a normal persons computer..shit is fucking australia.

Hey I want to get this thread on its own forum "Caseks-Computer-Corner, computer advice right here

http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/index.php...pic=60054" to many fuckin people post to much of the same ass questions about computer help how to work there new tech tools, fix computer problems and shit like that the thread is

so the ones running the board please make this a forum in itself it will lower the amount of closed threads on Channel Zero

Caseks-Computer-Corner, computer advice right here

http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60054

Originally posted by Mainter@Jan 11 2006, 08:20 PM

Hey I want to get this thread on its own forum "Caseks-Computer-Corner, computer advice right here

http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/index.php...pic=60054" to many fuckin people post to much of the same ass questions about computer help how to work there new tech tools, fix computer problems and shit like that the thread is

so the ones running the board please make this a forum in itself it will lower the amount of closed threads on Channel Zero

Caseks-Computer-Corner, computer advice right here

http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60054

Quit spamming threads with this shit, Mainter. The topic has nothing to do with computer help, it's just Linux discussion.

oh man....

I know what Red Hat and the Gnome are all about, but asides from that.....

ogre2.jpg

NEEEERDS!

I'm serious. Linux is the most nerdy thing ever.

The reason why it's so nerdy is because it's what

the 'elite' computer programmers get into.

It's way beyond your average computer basics, hence UBERnerd.

Let's talk distros.

I run Slack with Windowmaker.

The system's rock solid.

The interface is simple and easy to script for.

I love it but it's about time for me to change.

Feelin' stagnant, gotta learn something new.

Which do you run and how do you rate it?

Include favorite/current interface as well I suppose.

-fuse.

Guest Sparoism
Originally posted by fuse=--action@Jan 11 2006, 09:44 PM

Let's talk distros.

I run Slack with Windowmaker.

The system's rock solid.

The interface is simple and easy to script for.

I love it but it's about time for me to change.

Feelin' stagnant, gotta learn something new.

Which do you run and how do you rate it?

Include favorite/current interface as well I suppose.

-fuse.

Puppy 1.0.7 off of a live CD for now. Link here for an ISO image, then go here and get the Burn CDCC app in case your comp won't boot the CD....fuck it, all the info is at the first link. I got it on the first try, and that's saying a lot.

It's amazing...I'm gonna leave it at that. One thing- when you get it booted (which may require you to change your boot order to boot from the CD in BIOS) you'll see a screen that asks you which monitor configuration you want to use....pick Xorg and choose your monitor settings. Otherwise, you'll end up running in Xvesa by default, which is not as good....the screen flicker gives me a headache.

Once you get the GUI, everything is pretty straightforward.

All this Linux talk is making me interested in the idea of using an alternate OS, especially one that's supposedly very reliable and whatnot. It also seems like it takes a long time to learn how to use it, which doesn't really thrill me. What about BeOS? Anyone know anything about it?

FC4 with gnome works well for me. I saw a big speed diff from FC3 when I upgraded.

It's amazing how far Linux has come since the days when I first started playing with Slackware years ago. The only thing I had to do when I set up my ThinkPad was download the firmware image for my wireless card and stick it in /lib/firmware. In the old days, there was so much X11 and hardware configuration that it made my noobish head spin.

I am currently building a network sniffer (lots of traffic around my apartment) with a homebrew omnidirectional antenna. The plans I'm using can be found here. I am also getting to know FreeBSD a bit more through a VM before I dedicate hardware for it. I feel that less-rapid development at the cost of a dated feature set is a good thing for dedicated server hardware, and would be useful for me to have a good grip on. After all, this is what I get paid to do (other than surf 12oz, that is).

j

I think that's one of the great things about Linux.. you can strip it down and it will run fast on "outdated" hardware. I have a Pentium 2 running at 233MHz with 128MB ram (in a server role) and it runs fine. Similar hardware will even run X at reasonable speeds given you don't have a heavyweight window manager running. Although a bit dated, here are some starter tips.

So for all you cheap motherfuckers out there, Linux could be your ticket.

Guest Sparoism

Linux reminds me of homemade markers or ink...it can work a hell of a lot better than anything you buy in a store if you know what to do and do it right, or it's a confusing mess.

Rumpuncher, I am a nerd, but that's an awfully broad brush you used to paint Linux fans...if you don't like it, I won't try to sell you on it. But, a lot of smart (and poor) folks out there can't afford to buy Macs and are fed up with Microsoft having the audacity to release beta versions of Windows as finished products.

I don't know much about FreeBSD and even less about BeOS.

But, I think anyone who uses a computer should read this if they want to understand the Mac/Windows/Unix/Linux/BeOS story. Be warned, it's a long read, but I learned a lot more in two hours than I could have learned just looking around on the Web.

LHA20050204145318_1_TN.jpg

If anyone is thinking of using their iPod with Linux, my nano works perfectly on FC4 using gtkpod. All I needed to do was install some rpm's and mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda3 /mnt/ipod. I was more surprised that FC4 can read and write HFS+ (Mac format) drives than anything else. Works like a champ. You can also script the drive mounting so that it is automagically done for you.. check the GtkPod README for details on how it works.