1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

The Linux Thread

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Sparoism, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Sparoism

Sparoism Guest

The Linux Thread

Discussion started by Sparoism - Jan 6, 2006

I recently got into this whole Linux thing, and I'm hooked.

I figure there has to be some Linux users here, and I thought I'd get the jump off and start a thread so we could post some tips, or share apps...as this is all open source, there's no legality issues.

The reason I don't want to do this in the Computer thread is that I want to keep the two seperate. Since there are a lot of folks who are into this or thinking about trying it out, I can see the two not coexisting very well...confusion is mostly what I intend to avoid. Plus, it will help to keep things on topic.

So, currently I'm using a live CD version, Puppy 1.0.6. It fits an entire OS into 50 mb, and runs completely off of a CD. That's ONE PERCENT of the size of my Windows XP install....wowsers!

So, if the mods that be would be so kind as to let this play out, I'm curious to see how many other Linux users we have here, and what they have to offer.

I'm not too interested in Freebsd, unless there's some compelling arguments to be presented in its favor.

So, who's with me?

2. beardo

beardo Guest

beardo - Replied Jan 6, 2006

i fucked around with it a bit when i was living with the UBER computer nerd. shit is the business if youre into sitting around and learning all that language.

i did use 'the gimp' a little bit, the open source version of photoshop. its not very user friendly, but it gets the job done.

3. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Dirty Dozen Crew

Dirty_habiT - Replied Jan 7, 2006

Hhaha, c'mon man... 95% of these people have a hard time with windows...

They're not gonna be using linux... but anyhow, you might get lucky and get some of the Mac folks in here

raving about the unix based osx... It's overdue for me to make another linux box.... and linux is very awesome....

It's just beyond alot of computer users.

Dirty_habiT - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  4. Sparoism

Sparoism Guest

Sparoism - Replied Jan 7, 2006

Linux is somewhat over my head, for now...it's that or suffer through Windows some more. I can learn.

I just need to learn some of the terms.

5. Dirty_habiT

One of the things I have read about linux, is it's not an operating system like windows that you're going to be

able to know EVERYTHING about... you can, and most people/sysadmins, get by knowing just what

they need to know to get done what they're trying to do.... so it's not something that you will completely understand

in a couple months, you just learn as you go and read alot, there's a TON of information for linux on the internet.

6. Sparoism

Sparoism Guest

That's what I'm coming to realize. The install I used luckily has most of the apps I need everyday...I just need to get slsk running, then it's all gravy.

7. Dirty_habiT

look up pyslsk... it's a python based slsk client... you can find info about it on the slsk website... I think in the forums...

I love the way some of the dekstops look in linux... and they have all these cool meters that you can always see....

not to mention haveing FOUR desktops... that's always cool, you can have like work spaces that way that you can

switch in between very quickly and do different tasks... like be full screen editing a photo on one, and then be able

to switch to one where you have all your music folders open and an mp3 player playing....

it's really cool stuff and super efficient as far as system resources go.

8. Sparoism

Sparoism Guest

So, the new plan is to build a Mini-ITX machine. What do you know about these? They look really cool.

Someday, I think the comp I am on right now will be Linux, but I'm not quite ready to kick XP outta the house..

9. Sparoism

Sparoism Guest

Sparoism - Replied Jan 8, 2006

Mini-ITX link

These are the comps I was talking about.

I'm going to get a USB card today so I can run off of that.

10. Al Green

Al Green 12oz Veteran Member

Al Green - Replied Jan 8, 2006

im not that savvy.. so what does the GUI look like for linux?

Al Green - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  11. Sparoism

Sparoism Guest

A lot like Win95, but the speed is pghenomenal since it boots into RAM and runs from there.

12 oz. pages never loaded so fast!

12. Sparoism

Sparoism Guest

I think the custom builds were the hook for me.

The mobo is the size of a CD case. As long as you can get proper venting and it fits into whatever "case" you plan to use, and you can cut some slots for the ports and a DVD drive, it's all good.

13. sarcasm

sarcasm 12oz Elite Member

sarcasm - Replied Jan 8, 2006

i've never fucked aroud w/ linux, but my friend is all about that. i tried it out, and was too lazy at the time to learn all the language and stuff.

but i got a powerbook running tiger. shit's sexy and perfect for me

sarcasm - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  14. SionONE

SionONE 12oz Member

SionONE - Replied Jan 8, 2006

linux is pretty hott been into it for a couple years, best thing is customizing everything, if you into pogramming try fuckin wit da Sams Linux Programming. its aight if you got understanding of Linux kernels and C.

Windows break, Penguins are flexible.

SionONE - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  15. fermentor666

fermentor666 12oz Veteran Member

fermentor666 - Replied Jan 8, 2006

I fear the jump, and have for 10 years now. Someday...

fermentor666 - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages: