the lengths you go to for some stupid pet...

vinyl junkie

i have two pet rats... late last night i noticed one of them was acting a little strange... about 6 or 7 months ago this same rat got sick with an upper respiratory infection... i had to give ger antibiotics twice a day, and in about a week she was back to normal...

well last night she starts showing the same signs she did last time, but not that bad, so i don't really think anything of it... then when i get up today, she's still pretty out of it, so i start giving her what was left of the antibiotics from last time... i get a little worried about her, but figure she'll get over it like she did last time...

but then i go back a couple hours later and she is laying on the floor of their cage, barely moving... i pick her up and she's moving a bit, but she's definately lethargic, so now i really start getting worried... thier cage is in the bathroom, so i go and put her back in the cage, on the second level, and go turn on the shower super-hot, so i can steam the bathroom for her... then i look back at the cage and realize she's still trying to get down the little ramp to the bottom floor of the cage... then as i'm moving towards her she falls down the ramp, and then just sits in the corner, not moving... this is when i get really worried and decide i need to take her to a vet now... but it's 9:30pm on a sunday...

i finally find a 24hour vet that can work with rats and have a buddy drive me in there (i have no brake lights and my liscence is expired... no night-driving for me...)

1 and 1/2 hours and $130 later, i'll be feeding her babyfood for a week or so, giving her antibiotics twice a day for 2 weeks, and giving her subcutaneous saline injections twice a day for five days... all this for an $8 rat...

but damn i love those fuckers...

--------------

she appears to be doing a lot better now too... she just slpet for a couple hours after we got back from the vet, but now she's actually moving around (like i said, she could barely move when i took her to the vet) and even eating a little... and she made it up their ramp and back down without falling...

we'll see how she does...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I had a dog about 10 or so years ago. It was an Australian Sheperd mut named Spuds (I grow up in the 80's what can I say). But I guess hip problems are common in these breeds. We spent a ton of money to try and find out what was wrong. But she couldn't be saved. She's would drag her two back legs around to walk and wimper all the time. Be thankfull your 8 dollar rats are are gonna be ok, expensive but ok.

I'd go to greater lengths for my pets than I would for most people..................

My mouse I bought for £1, and he was bred as snake food. after about 8 months the room he was in got to cool because the heating broke. He tried to go into hibernation. I had to flip him over on his back in my palm, and feed him teeny bits of his food, soaked in water on the end of a q-tip.

I love him. he's dead now. It OBSCENE how much I miss him. Mouse Def r.i.p.

i'm still bummed, but about the dogs on whels thing: have you seen a dog with steel balls and no hind legs? he awnswers to the name "sparky".

and yes, bodice, i had a mouse do the hibernation thing oce... that sucked... RIP spatter (my mouse from days ago...) and mouse def

Pets are a complete waste of time. I thought it would be 'cool' to get some goldfish. Damn, the novelty wore off after about five minutes, but 3 years later I'm still having to feed, and clean and look out for those ungreatful fuckers who just eat and shit and swim back and forth and watch TV. Fuckers.

Guest railroadjerk
Originally posted by Rodney Trotter

Pets are a complete waste of time. I thought it would be 'cool' to get some goldfish. Damn, the novelty wore off after about five minutes, but 3 years later I'm still having to feed, and clean and look out for those ungreatful fuckers who just eat and shit and swim back and forth and watch TV. Fuckers.

3 years? dang. mine usually last about 5 days tops.

i had a goldfish...it was about 2 and a half years old and getting fairly large...i left to california with my parents, and left it to my grandma while we were away for 2 years....came back and learned that she forgot to put that shit in the water to keep the Ph straight or whatever, and she forgot to feed it on several occasions...dead......bottom line....never leave pets with your grandma...

I love animals. I don't care if I have a mouse that cost $1, or a $1000 purebred dog. I'll do whatever it takes to keep them healthy. I think people that abuse and mistreat animals are really fucked up.

I dropped over a grand on my cat once, when it got hit by a car and needed surgery. He lived for another 5 years and was always happy and loving. I was more upset when he died than when relatives died. Maybe that's fucked up, but I don't think so. Pets can be more family than people. They're sincere and they don't betray your trust.

i think my rat is doing better, although i'll be the first to admit that that could just be wishfull thinking... i have to give her these shots of saline, cuz she's not drinking water... i have to give her 10cc's-- that's maybe 3/4 of a film canister full... it gets injected under the skin kinda between her shoulder blades... then she has a big camel hump for a few hours...

but she definately seems to be doing better... she's eating a lot- although the normal food she gets she seems to have trouble with, but she's eating tons of baby food when ever i give it to her... i think part of the reason she's not drinking water is because she can't get to the water bottle... the infection she has also affects the middle ear, so she has trouble with balance and can't lift her head to the water bottle... but the injections are taking care of that...

hopefulpetowneroner

Originally posted by Pistol

I had a dog about 10 or so years ago. It was an Australian Sheperd mut named Spuds (I grow up in the 80's what can I say). But I guess hip problems are common in these breeds. We spent a ton of money to try and find out what was wrong. But she couldn't be saved. She's would drag her two back legs around to walk and wimper all the time. Be thankfull your 8 dollar rats are are gonna be ok, expensive but ok.

we used to have a bunch of german shepards and they had the same problem but they all developed it after about the age of 14-15

Guest dolomite

your a kind hearted person, vinyl junkie.

thats always a plus. theres too many cold hearted people in this world.

Guest platapie
Originally posted by bodice_ripper

I'd go to greater lengths for my pets than I would for most people..................

same here hunney sam ehere.

Guest willy.wonka

i think i would too.i once dropped my cat off a three storie lanai..i could here its belly flop on the ground...i tried so desperatly to grab it before she fell...she didnt come home for a while after that.when she came back i was so relieved..i think im her favorite human...i never felt so horrible in my life...i feed her every night and make sure to stay up on rainy nights to let her back in...when she comes in wet..i dry her off with a towel..i love my cat.

Archived