Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

the italiano thread: recipes version

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by casekonly, Jul 18, 2004.

1. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

ok, nuccas and nuccettes, i like italian food..alot.

just thought i'd share some favorite recipes, and i'm starting off with what i'm about to cook myself for a late lunch:

Spaghetti with Garlic, Olive Oil and Red Pepper Flakes

Ingredients
    1 pound dried spaghetti
    1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    3 garlic cloves, peeled
    1 tablespoon red pepper flakes, plus more if desired
    1/4 cup chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves

Instructions
    In a large pot, bring to a boil 6 quarts of salted water. Add pasta and cook until al dente,
    about 6 to 8 minutes. Drain pasta in a colander, reserving 2 tablespoons of the pasta water. The reserved pasta water
    will help create the sauce. Do not rinse pasta with water -- you want to retain the pasta's natural starches so that the
    sauce will stick.

In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until light brown and fragrant. In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until light brown and fragrant.. It's important not too burn the garlic or else it will become bitter. Remove and discard the browned garlic. Add the red
    pepper flakes and saute for 1 minute. Carefully add the reserved pasta water and stir to combine. Place the spaghetti
    into the pan and mix well for 1 minute.
    Remove pan from heat and top with fresh herbs.

2. Pinup

Pinup Senior Member

Bruschetta

Get bread. Good bread. Not shit processed bread.
    Scrub it with garlic. A lot of garlic.
    Top it with olive oil.
    At this point, it's freestyle. Chop up tomatoes if you like, that's always a winner. Add Mozarella. Or Parma ham. Olive paste.Or truffles if you're really cool. I know i've just given you a recipe which basically means "put something on some bread and eat it, fuckface", but italian rocks because of this.

Simple, good, healthy food, relying only on the quality of the ingredients. Italy is like the hip hop only with more hip hop and also more garlic.

3. fermentor666

fermentor666 Veteran Member

The Monica Belluci

One copy of "Malena" DVD
    One DVD Player
    Remote With Pause button for Monica Belluci nude scenes
    Plenty of toiletpaper

4. rental

rental Dirty Dozen Crew

ive been thinking about calzones. does anyone have any good recipe for some that theyve used a lot and like?

5. Pinup

Pinup Senior Member

make a pizza and fold it. seriously.

6. Jake Stevens

Jake Stevens Senior Member

dunno the name of it but i nearly lived on it for the month i was in italy last summer..

its them small shell like pasta shapes witha pepper and creamy white sause over it.. its the best

easy to make!!

1. get pack of white sauce and a pack of pepper sauce and make up as directed to on the back!
    2.boil water
    3.put pasta in the water and let the pasta cook..

to serve put pasta in big ass bowl pour sause over it mix it around and eat!!!

7. rental

rental Dirty Dozen Crew

i dont have any recipes for pizza either.

8. EyeforAnEYE

EyeforAnEYE Elite Member

Dough
    mozzerella cheese
    tomato sauce
    olive oil
    oven
    flour
    =
    pizza

9. Pinup

Pinup Senior Member

That's actually a good point, rental. No one knows how to make pizza.

I sure don't. But i fantasize that when i'm rich and 65 i can drop whatever i'm doing to open a pizzeria. I don't know why, but its a prospect which has always appealed to me.

I'm pretty sure making pizza ain't at all tricky. The only difficulty is getting your paste right, you should get perfectly good indications for that on the web. The rest is basic.

10. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

calzone

Ingredients
    2 cup chopped broccoli, cooked
    1 package of pepperoni
    1 8 ounce package of provolone cheese, sliced
    2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    seasonings (garlic powder, basil, oregano)
    butter
    minced garlic
    parmesan cheese

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Wrap the frozen bread loaf in plastic wrap, but do not close ends; let rise. After the bread has thawed and risen, roll out on a floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough length wise until you have a 12x8 surface of dough. On one half of the dough, place 3 rows of pepperoni, half of the broccoli, half of the provolone and half of the cheddar, sprinkle with seasonings; repeat with 2 rows of pepperoni, the remainder of broccoli, provolone and cheddar and top with 1 row of pepperoni. Fold the other side of the bread dough to cover all the ingredients. You may want to spread a little water on the edges of the crust so that it will seal together. Crimp the dough edges and place on a large cookie sheet.

Bake for 30 minutes. While the dough is baking, melt butter and minced garlic. After the dough has baked for 30 minutes, take a pastry brush and spread the melted butter and garlic over the dough; sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake for 10 more minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before cutting.

spinach calzone

Spinach and Cheese Calzones

1 teaspoon olive oil

1 small onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

3 cups coarse chopped fresh spinach

1 cup lowfat ricotta cheese

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 egg yolk

1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (2 oz)

1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal

1 recipe pizza dough or 1 tube refrigerated pizza dough

1 cup bottled marinara sauce (optional)

Heat oil in large skillet and cook the onion, covered, over medium-low heat, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook, uncovered, for 1 minute. Stir in the spinach and cook, stirring until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes.

Transfer the vegetables to a mixing bowl and stir in the ricotta, nutmeg, salt and cayenne. Then stir in the egg yolk and feta until blended. The filling can be made several hours ahead and refrigerated. (Return to room temperature before using.)

Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Sprinkle a large baking sheet with the cornmeal.

On a flat surface, roll or pat the pizza dough to a rough 12 or 14 inch square. Use a sharp knife or pizza wheel to cut the dough into 4 equal squares. Divide the filling among the dough squares, spooning it onto one diagonal half of each square and leaving about a 1/2" margin all around. Fold the top over to make a triangle and seal the edges by pressing with the tines of a fork. Use a small knife to make three slashes in the top of each calzone to allow steam to escape.

Place the calzone on prepared baking sheet and bake until a rich golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Serve warm with heated marinara sauce for dipping, if desired.

Serves 4

11. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

PIZZA

buy premade crust

INGREDIENTS

1-2 tablespoons olive oil

Any or all of the following:
    1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 red onion, chopped
    1 red, yellow, or green bell pepper, chopped
    1 bunch fresh greens, washed and coarsely chopped

1-2 ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
    Oil-cured black olives

1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
    1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled (optional)
    Salt to taste
    Fresh or dried herbs, such as rosemary, basil, or thyme, to taste if desired

Preheat oven to 375F, or fire up the grill.

1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add any combination you prefer of garlic, onion, peppers and greens, stirring until onions are translucent and greens are barely wilted.

2. Sprinkle this combination of veggies on your premade pizza crust (or you could use a foccaccia, a large flatbread), top with tomatoes and/or olives, sprinkle with cheeses, salt, and herbs, if desired.

3. Bake in preheated oven or on top of grill until cheeses are melted and bubbly, around 15-20 minutes.

4. Slice and serve.

Serves 4-6 people.

12. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

PIZZA RECIPE 2

DOUGH

1. 3-4 tablespoons of shortening. Melt and cool (separate pan)
    2. 2 cups of water (lukewarm)
    3. 2 envelopes dry yeast (Dissolve in water)
    4. 5 teaspoons of sugar
    5. Add 3 sifted cups of all purpose flour - Mix
    6. Add melted shortening -- (cooled)
    7. Add teaspoon salt
    8. Add (2.5 to 3) more cups of flour for consistency
    9. Remove from pan -- Knead 8 to 10 minutes. If it sticks to your hand, leave alone.
    10. Back in pan in warm spot.
    11. Leave rise till double in bulk -- (1 hour on)
    12. Punch down -- Let rise again.
    13. Grease pan with shortening
    14. Spread to desired thickness

PIZZA

1. Cube garlic (1 to 2 cloves)
    2. Add sauce - (tomato puree) Add 0.5-1 teaspoon of sugar to can.
    3. cheese/sausage etc.
    4. pepper/oragano
    5. Bake- 400deg oven to start-- After 10 minutes-- turn down to 350deg
    6. Cooks 20 to 25 minutes. Change racks 10 to 12 minutes.
    7. When cooked, lightly pour capful of olive oil on top of cooked pizza

13. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

SPINACH RICOTTA GNOCCHI

1/2 Pound Ricotta

1-1 1/2 Cups of Flour

1 Extra Large Egg

1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese

1 Teaspoon Salt

1 Pound Fresh Spinach

Sauce:

7 Tablespoons Butter

6 Fresh Sage Leaves

1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese

Salt & Pepper

Cook the spinach in boiling water for about 3 minutes. Drain and when cool, press out as much water as possible and chop finely. In a bowl, place the ricotta, grated cheese, chopped spinach, egg, and salt. Add 1 cup of the flour and mix. Add only as much more flour as you need to create a workable dough. Be careful not to overwork. Divide the dough into fist size pieces, and roll into long logs as thick as your thumb. Cut into 1 inch slices and gently place on a lightly floured baking sheet. Continue with the rest of the dough in this manner. If not using immediately, place in the refrigerator.

To cook, drop into lightly salted water and remove as soon as they float to the top, after 1 or 2 minutes. Place in a warmed bowl. Melt the butter in a small pan and add the sage leaves. Add salt & pepper and pour this mixture over the cooked gnocchi. Top with the parmesan and serve.

Cooks Tip: The secret to making these gnocchi is to dry the ingredients as much as you can before using. I squeeze the spinach between paper towels, and I let my ricotta drain of excess water by placing it in a strainer over a bowl and leaving it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before using.