1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

The Isley Brothers...greatest Rock & Roll band of all time?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by SCOTCH WHISKEO, Jun 25, 2001.

1. SCOTCH WHISKEO

SCOTCH WHISKEO Dirty Dozen Crew

The Isley Brothers...greatest Rock & Roll band of all time?

Discussion started by SCOTCH WHISKEO - Jun 25, 2001

I caught some bullshit VH1 talkshow type program where all the guests had to vote for the greatest rock band of all time and I got to thinking...why are the Isley bros. not even mentioned here? Just doesn't make sense, everyone listed the Beatles, but the Beatles made their mark by covering Isley bros tunes.
    What makes a truely great band?
    Longevity? The Isleys have been doing it since the early 1950s and continue to make hit records. Can the Rolling Stones, The Beatles , The Dead, or Led Zeppelin say that?
    Innovation? These guys have been at the forefront of every movement from Rock to R&B ballads, from Funk to The "Psychadelic" sound with joints like "Who's That Lady" and "Fight the Power" and "Stand Up".They have even done quality Hip-Hop (check NAS's "Lookin out my Project Window", the only listenable song on his last album.)!
    Pure Musicianship? Come on now...this bands guitarist,(before Ernie Isley came of age to join the group) was a young, unknown kid named Jimi Hendrix...not to even mention the core members.
    Great Songs?...Is there REALLY any better song than "Footsteps in the Dark, pt.1 & 2"? Anywhere? EVER?
    Lasting Influence? Well, I already mentioned the Beatles covering "Twist and Shout" (and yes, the Isley's version is the better of the two, no contest!) and I guarantee the majority of the bands listed would site the Isleys as an influence if they were honest. I'm sure Mick Jagger would give Ron Isley head if given the opportunity. I just saw the Isley's new video, it's getting heavy rotation on B.E.T., my Daughter loves it and pointed it out to me! How many other bands from 1950 can still seem relevent to 12 year olds today??? Yet still America fails to recognize.What is this mass-delusion...or instituional racism? I cant call it...

SCOTCH WHISKEO - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  2. mental invalid

mental invalid Dirty Dozen Crew

mental invalid - Replied Jun 25, 2001

..oh my god dad! i didnt know you were part of the 12oz gang!

...j/k...but he does dig em, guess i should pop one in eh?...r.

mental invalid - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  3. TOY

TOY New Jack

TOY - Replied Jun 25, 2001

yeah for real beatles blew up on isley brothers shit, they used to have elton john playing keyboard for them. i think jimi hendrix played for them too.

TOY - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  4. WebsterUno

WebsterUno Guest

WebsterUno - Replied Jun 25, 2001

Fooststeps in the Dark pt1&2… http://www.12ozprophet.com/ubb//wink.gif'>

[i]I gotta say, today was a good day![/i]
    …nuff said.

5. TOY

TOY New Jack

TOY - Replied Jun 25, 2001

and theyre still coming out with new shit.

TOY - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  6. jointhedotz

jointhedotz 12oz Member

jointhedotz - Replied Jun 25, 2001

i just found their song 'ohio' on a compilation yesterday, and thought 'fucking hell thats not bad, got to get some more of that', and from that inspirational post i know i have to hunt out that vinyl, cheers

jointhedotz - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  7. *ZEMONEDOE$

*ZEMONEDOE$ 12oz Veteran Member

*ZEMONEDOE$ - Replied Jun 25, 2001

in a six double oh,bumpin Isley.
    marvins new song wit the other half of epmd,is great music.

*ZEMONEDOE$ - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  8. Tanner

Tanner 12oz Senior Member

Tanner - Replied Jun 25, 2001

isley brothers aint nuthin copared to george clinton and p funk

Tanner - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  9. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

Smart - Replied Jun 25, 2001

Tanner, you're wrong... not to dis on Pfunk, but...

------------------
    2 Can Sam

Smart - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  10. ohnoone

ohnoone 12oz Elite Member

ohnoone - Replied Jun 25, 2001

no doubt.

isely brothers are the heat

ohnoone - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages: