The Iraq Tab = $300 billion

RumPuncher

news source

WASHINGTON - U.S. President George W. Bush will ask Congress for another $80 billion for the war in Iraq, bringing the price tag for that invasion and ongoing operations in Afghanistan close to $300 billion, six times the original White House estimate.

The total is well beyond the estimate of $200 billion (U.S.) put forward by onetime White House economic adviser Larry Lindsey — subsequently dismissed for his forecast — and is the number Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld once derided as "baloney" on network television.

baloney.gif

Bush's request, which Congress is expected to approve next month, came five days before Sunday's watershed Iraqi elections, amidst reports that at least 120,000 Americans will remain there through the end of next year.

The White House said $75 billion of the $80 billion will go directly to military operations in Iraq, raising this year's total to $105 billion for a war that was already costing $5 billion per month.

It also conceded the spiralling costs were the result of an Iraqi insurgency that has surpassed all U.S. estimates in its size and commitment.

The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are now costing almost half the $623 billion the U.S. spent during the entire 14-year Vietnam War, when adjusted to 2005 dollars.

While the cost of the war escalated, Democrats in the U.S. Senate took advantage of a day-long debate on the confirmation of Secretary of State-designate Condoleezza Rice to signal they will vigorously oppose Bush's foreign policy in a second term, despite their reduced ranks following November's election.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

We are currently over half the cost of WWI and over half the cost of the Vietnam war, inflation adjusted.

I'm watching this white house press briefing.... I'm trying not to laugh. It seems there is alot more animosity between Bush and the white house press. He is not even understanding some of the questions they are throwing at him, and his answers are pretty much sameo sameo....

I can't believe this guy is running the country.

maybe I'm totally wrong here,

but with 300 Billion (cue Dr. Evil Pinky) you probably could:

- find a cure to aids and if not, provide medicines needed to everyone with the virus.

- do some debt relief and kickstart the world's economy

- perfect some type of eco-friendly energy source. 300bil is a lot of wind turbines.

- do restitutions for slavery and pay the First nations what their land was worth.

- or I could build the finest harem of all time! Jessica Alba included.