the hitch hiking thread

casekonly

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by casekonly

i'm looking for advice, stories, smart things to pack

don't bring much... the less shit you have the better... and look nice and smile... and if you smoke herb expect to be very very high most of the time (i don't smoke, but i think i could count the number of times i've not been offered pot by the driver on both hands...)

have fun!

*edit*

i've always kept a knife in my boot that's easily accessible whenever i hitch hike, although i've never needed it...

Hitched all over the U.S., Canada and Mexico

About twenty-five years ago. Today things are a lot less cool. Obviously, the more like an innocuous college kid you appear to be, the easier it will be to catch a ride. All the rules in "The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" are probably appropriate and timely. I never obeyed many of them--one of the most memorable rides my hitch-hiking, trainhopping girlfriend and I ever caught was up in Saskatchewan. We had a little brown, short-haired terrier cross bitch we picked up in L.A. that we named "Pat Nixon" ("Pat" for short) and while we were visiting the IWW delegate in Mountain Home, CA, she came into heat. His neighbor's Husky jumped the fence and they had a grand old time. She got pregnant, of course.

Weeks later, up in Saskatchewan, while we were trying to thumb down a ride east, a big thunderstorm came out of the north. The clouds were black as paint, and there was lightning and thunder and high winds coming at us from the northwest. Pat went berserk and started frantically digging and pulling up grass with her teeth, and made a hole in the ground next to the highway, and got in it. I thought it was the storm---maybe there was big hazard from lightning. It sort of freaked us out.

A station wagon stopped to pick us up. Two hitch hikers, a ton of gear, packs, sleeping bags, etc., plus a dog--we were lucky. We got in. I got in the passenger seat. The back seat was "down" to create a cargo space, and our benefactor was a minister en route back home from a church conference. My girl got in the back with all our packs and stuff, and the dog. Immediately, Pat began birthing a litter of puppies. My girl, thinking fast, pulled a poncho out of the packs and put it under Pat. She had eight pups, in about 45 minutes. The driver was very excited, and kept asking "How many now? How many now?" It was really a trip. We stopped and dumpster-dived a cardboard box, and sacrificed our worst blanket for a puppy bed. Pat licked all the pups clean as a whistle and ate the afterbirth. I have no idea where she learned all this---instinct, I suppose. We gave the puppies away as they got old enough, most of them at the IWW Convention in Chicago that September. We had a box marked "Free Puppies---Trained in Class Warfare." They went quickly.

The minister was a great guy, and gave us a ride all the way to Thunder Bay, where we had to hitch around Lake Superior to Sault Ste. Marie, then down towards Detroit, then to Ann Arbor, MI, and on west to Chicago. We stayed with some anti-war activist Quakers in Ann Arbor---really wonderful, generous people. We also stayed a few days with some stoner kids in rural Michigan who lived in a home-built shack out behind their parents' house. They kept us stoned the whole time we were there.

So much for 1972. It was a good year.

i was joking. i don't plan on riding in a truck. trucks scare me. truckers scare me more. i dunno, maybe i'll take a greyhound halfway across the country and then hitch to califronia, then turn around and try to make my way back. i think i'll carry a gun, though...just in case GlikO is right about the anal raping and face eating..i'm not down for any of that.

my bad. yeah, the guyu who grew grass all over his body, house, etc...that wascreepshow...and the people buried up to their necks in sand...i had the comic book...glossy cover...i wonder if it's worth anything...

steve, i'll check around on yahoo maps or soemthing and find some rural route maps...thanks, again

You still gotta watch out for reg. looking people too. I saw something on A&E a while back where this chick was picked up by a couple. Once she got in the car, they pulled out a gun on here and took her back to their pad. She was kept there for over 4 years as a sex slave. So pack a gun if you have one or at least a knife.

And have a large amount of cash stored in a bank so if anything pops up, you can get yourself where you need to be.

yeah, good idea. does anyone know what the gun laws are like if you pack heat and cross state lines? what about if i had a concealed weapon license for one state and crossed state lines and was picked up or harassed by 5-0? maybe a knife and some pepper spray would be better...or a couple of knives...one hidden, and one really well hidden...both on my person.

Archived