1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

the hitch hiking thread

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by casekonly, Apr 12, 2003.

1. casekonly

casekonly 12oz Veteran Member

the hitch hiking thread

Discussion started by casekonly - Apr 12, 2003

summer is almost here, and i'm thinking about hitching across the country. i've never done it, and i'm looking for advice, stories, smart things to pack, and maybe some good books on the subject. maybe some interesting stories, suggestions, etc...

casekonly - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  2. nomadawhat

nomadawhat 12oz Veteran Member

nomadawhat - Replied Apr 12, 2003

read the unwritten guide to hitchhiking and know what the driver expects!!!

nomadawhat - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  3. casekonly

casekonly - Replied Apr 12, 2003

that's just a little fucked up...i take that back, it's alot fucked up. i think i'll just walk or take a bus

4. nomadawhat

nomadawhat 12oz Veteran Member

nomadawhat - Replied Apr 12, 2003

start doing thumb exercises now to avoid a 'breakdown' in the middle of the U.S.

nomadawhat - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  5. metallix

metallix 12oz Elite Member

metallix - Replied Apr 12, 2003

i thought about doing the same thing, but after a little more thinking i decided NAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

metallix - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  6. casekonly

casekonly - Replied Apr 12, 2003

you guys aren't in a helpful or insightful mood today, are you? lazy bastards...ha ha, my personal favorite quote of the day:

7. welcome mat

welcome mat 12oz Junior Member

welcome mat - Replied Apr 12, 2003

read "the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy". it's a great book.

welcome mat - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  8. willy.wonka

willy.wonka Guest

willy.wonka - Replied Apr 12, 2003

i would keep my money in a wierd spot..like a extra pocket inside the pant leg by the knee.

9. vinyl junkie

vinyl junkie 12oz Elite Member

vinyl junkie - Replied Apr 12, 2003

don't bring much... the less shit you have the better... and look nice and smile... and if you smoke herb expect to be very very high most of the time (i don't smoke, but i think i could count the number of times i've not been offered pot by the driver on both hands...)
    have fun!

*edit*
    i've always kept a knife in my boot that's easily accessible whenever i hitch hike, although i've never needed it...

vinyl junkie - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  10. KaBar

KaBar 12oz Senior Member

KaBar - Replied Apr 12, 2003

Hitched all over the U.S., Canada and Mexico

About twenty-five years ago. Today things are a lot less cool. Obviously, the more like an innocuous college kid you appear to be, the easier it will be to catch a ride. All the rules in "The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" are probably appropriate and timely. I never obeyed many of them--one of the most memorable rides my hitch-hiking, trainhopping girlfriend and I ever caught was up in Saskatchewan. We had a little brown, short-haired terrier cross bitch we picked up in L.A. that we named "Pat Nixon" ("Pat" for short) and while we were visiting the IWW delegate in Mountain Home, CA, she came into heat. His neighbor's Husky jumped the fence and they had a grand old time. She got pregnant, of course.

Weeks later, up in Saskatchewan, while we were trying to thumb down a ride east, a big thunderstorm came out of the north. The clouds were black as paint, and there was lightning and thunder and high winds coming at us from the northwest. Pat went berserk and started frantically digging and pulling up grass with her teeth, and made a hole in the ground next to the highway, and got in it. I thought it was the storm---maybe there was big hazard from lightning. It sort of freaked us out.

A station wagon stopped to pick us up. Two hitch hikers, a ton of gear, packs, sleeping bags, etc., plus a dog--we were lucky. We got in. I got in the passenger seat. The back seat was "down" to create a cargo space, and our benefactor was a minister en route back home from a church conference. My girl got in the back with all our packs and stuff, and the dog. Immediately, Pat began birthing a litter of puppies. My girl, thinking fast, pulled a poncho out of the packs and put it under Pat. She had eight pups, in about 45 minutes. The driver was very excited, and kept asking "How many now? How many now?" It was really a trip. We stopped and dumpster-dived a cardboard box, and sacrificed our worst blanket for a puppy bed. Pat licked all the pups clean as a whistle and ate the afterbirth. I have no idea where she learned all this---instinct, I suppose. We gave the puppies away as they got old enough, most of them at the IWW Convention in Chicago that September. We had a box marked "Free Puppies---Trained in Class Warfare." They went quickly.

The minister was a great guy, and gave us a ride all the way to Thunder Bay, where we had to hitch around Lake Superior to Sault Ste. Marie, then down towards Detroit, then to Ann Arbor, MI, and on west to Chicago. We stayed with some anti-war activist Quakers in Ann Arbor---really wonderful, generous people. We also stayed a few days with some stoner kids in rural Michigan who lived in a home-built shack out behind their parents' house. They kept us stoned the whole time we were there.

So much for 1972. It was a good year.

KaBar - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  11. casekonly

casekonly - Replied Apr 14, 2003

thanks for the story, kabar, and thanks for the advice vinyl junkie...

12. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

Dick Quickwood - Replied Apr 14, 2003

ride freights instead

Dick Quickwood - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  13. casekonly

can't, i broke my leg a couple of year sback and i still have two rods in it...i wish i could..i can barely jump and land on it and it not hurt...so, that's out of the question.

14. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

Dick Quickwood - Replied Apr 14, 2003

get a small folding stepladder

Dick Quickwood - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  15. casekonly

good idea...