the game of numbers...

alabama

alright...ive been thinking about this for a really, really long time, and never wanted to talk about it on here, but hell....everything in the world is on this site now...way too much information....so anyways, my question is how many freights per day/week are getting painted in north america...im not talking toys and im not talking bombing freights (tags/streaks/throwups whatever) unless its "bombing/piecing" a panel with multiple colors....so basically, how many cars are getting burned....

i think about it at night sometimes after the mission is over...like how many other fools were out tonight, and how many cars got crushed.....i mean, with freights becoming such a hugh movement, i would seriously doubt that theres EVER a day/night where nothing gets painted....

think about a big freight crew and take an estimate of how many theyre doing a week, then think about all the members in the crew....then think of how many crews you can think of like that....then how many motherfuckers that paint freights in general there are....and how many of each kind of cars are in circulation....

were gonna see space run out i bet.

700 per week?

thats 100 per day...everyday.

100 per week across the country??? is that safe to say?...its a low number...and not really my estimate, but if it is....then the average per year is 36400...is that possible? thats a shitload of freight....and if you know the numbers of certain cars in circulation, its scary...

what do yall think?

maybe this is out of line...if anybody thinks so, delete it.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

...your estimation is way too low...i would put it at over a thousand and probably more for every night, especially if you count canada...but remember that there over a million active cars out there...

...it's so hard to figure something like this out though...i mean supose it's raining hard as fuck up and down the entire east coast, there goes a shit load of freights that weren't painted that night...and when it's really cold up north numbers would decrease...

Guest sober
Originally posted by porque

...especially if you count canada..

I DISAGREE.

THERE ARE ABOUT 15 ACTIVE CANADIAN WRITERS WHOSE TRAINS ARE WORTH FLICKING.

TRUST ME.

thats a tuff one.

real hard to say...even estimate. but Im sure at least one person piants a freight somewhere in North America every night, and day for that matter.

i have often pondered on how many freight pieces are running, and how many freights are running with aerosol graff on them period (tags hollows, throw ups etc)

i was at a friends house last night and he had a footlocker full of fliks. I looked through about 15% of his fliks, and of that 15% maybe 3% of the fliks I have seen before....and I see a lot of shit.

just like when I come on 12oz, i see so much shit, but I never see that shit running, well maybe a few, but not much.

based on my unscientific research, my estimate is there is an upwards of 250,000 - 500,000 freight cars at least touched with spray paint graff.

crazy

Ive thought about this way too much , just in my city i know atleast 20 cars get quality crushed per week , porbably more . If you multiply that across the country theres probably 15-2000 cars a week just in canada .

that number has to atleast double in major american cities . And abpout the same in other average size cities . So the total number per year has to be higher than 36500 , probably close to 60 or 80 000 .

But at the same time how many cars get buffed every year ? I dont know but atleast a few thousand i would guess .......? i know around here almost every VCY fr8 gets buffed REGULARLY .

And then comes how many fr8 cars are ther actively at any given point across the whol;e USA and canada . I cant even begin to guess . I hope KABAR might have some insight there . I know i see so many autoraks alone that are pieced around here , plus the ones i catch on This site , and other sites i perouse , But i see atleast 10 times that many that are clean .

I've thought about this before, but it's all speculation as to the numbers continent-wide per night.

Best breakdown might be a hypothetical, conservative look at crew numbers. Then tweak these numbers in whichever direction you think is appropriate.

Let's just say there are 20 crews each with 10 members each who have averaged 500 freights each since 2000 in North America.

They alone have done 100,000 freights over 4 years.

25,000 freights a year.

Divided by 365 days a year is about 70 a night.

Now tweak away: if there's more crews, more individuals with that kind of work put in, individuals with way more work than that put in, a shitload of toys or lesser known or less skilled heads you want to count, the numbers just go up.

Originally posted by alabama

were gonna see space run out i bet.

not in your lifetime. it may seem that way but thats only because writers are starting to paint over each other more now, but the reality is because writers are fixated on boxcars. there are entire fleets of hoppers, gondolas, tanks etc that are not even touched. there are entire companies (short lines) that people probably havent even seen.

states like north dakota where noone even writes. this shit would have to continue and gain a lot more momentum before we really find ourselvs running out of space. And even then there are so many freight cars it would still probably take a century or more before anyone could witness total domination. you also gotta figure, the more shit that gets painted the more shit gets buffed.

Even with the crirical mass of shit thats runnin, id still say the ratio of painted to un-painted is about 100:1, maybe more.

i know what youre saying zed...about the tankers/hoppers/coal lines/etc....but yeah, on boxcars...because theyre the most sought after car, we might see some space disappear...theres always two sides of the car though...somebody could end to end one side of the car and it show up in peoples layups across the country multiple times and nobody ever sees that the flipside is clean because the situations at the spots dont allow you to paint the other side....

when i first started thinking about this, i wasnt really thinking of it that way and pretty much overlooked this point.....so basically however many cars there are, theres double the amount of space because of both sides...

*from trains mag.....in 2003 there were 190,339 boxcars in circulation...this is crazy and you might not believe it, but csx only owns 16,759 boxcars....kcs only 7,254...cn owns a whopping 26,888 but i rarely ever see any of that flow because i live in the south...and like zed pointed out, theres always states/cities where nobody writes, so the trains there are avoiding the paint....for now.

porque...thats the thing man...i keep wondering about the weather...cause i think we have it best down here...painting year round, only getting rained out....i dont know how other people do it, because i dont personally know that many writers, but i would bet that northerners (including canadians) dont really put in too much work during the dead of winter...but go wild and smash shit during the summer...i dont know?

i know this thread is a head scratcher and pointless because nobodys got the answer or a reliable figure, but its been on my mind for a long time and i wanted to see what everybody elses thoughts were.

Originally posted by Cracked Ass

Let's just say there are 20 crews each with 10 members each who have averaged 500 freights each since 2000 in North America.

They alone have done 100,000 freights over 4 years.

25,000 freights a year.

Divided by 365 days a year is about 70 a night.

another thing that should be taken into consideration is writers painting the same car...they might have 100,000 pieces rolling, but say, 3-4 members to each car... that would cut the actual amount of painted frieghts running dramatically....

plus.. freights obviously have two sides, which would technically double the amount of shit to paint compared to the number of actual cars running..

my two cents.

Originally posted by alabama

porque...thats the thing man...i keep wondering about the weather...cause i think we have it best down here...painting year round, only getting rained out....i dont know how other people do it, because i dont personally know that many writers, but i would bet that northerners (including canadians) dont really put in too much work during the dead of winter...but go wild and smash shit during the summer...i dont know?

winter is considered bombing season for most northern writers that I know. winter is when officials will be less willing to conduct a raid, especially in the extreme northern states and canada where temps dip well below 0 for months on end.

If your prepared, winter bombing is actually kind of fun.

Originally posted by sober

I DISAGREE.

THERE ARE ABOUT 15 ACTIVE CANADIAN WRITERS WHOSE TRAINS ARE WORTH FLICKING.

TRUST ME.

...whatever...I could name 15 writers in my city alone...

...i've thought about this alot as well...run out of space? never, no one is factoring the buff and the new cars being produced on the regular...sober needs a drink...

Originally posted by ZedIsDed

winter is considered bombing season for most northern writers that I know. winter is when officials will be less willing to conduct a raid, especially in the extreme northern states and canada where temps dip well below 0 for months on end.

If your prepared, winter bombing is actually kind of fun.

bombing he says...all these southerners sure make us look hard...pussies!!! hahahahahaha

"...cause i think we have it best down here...painting year round, only getting rained out..."

keep in mind you can almost never get snowed out.

so i think while some of the less gung ho might let their numbers slip for a minute, most of us are crushing right along, trying to keep up with the numbers especially after the first of the year.

but back to the point if we're going by cities and the average of what gets put out in a night..

I'd almost like to see a state to state list of what cities are producing 20 freights a night, cause i think they'd be few and far between.

i'll just take wisconsin as a whole for instance...i'm gonna guess on average maybe 8 are done on any given calender day, and that's beeing way generous. that's combining milwaukee, madison, and whatever kids from out of state travel in to do. i could be wrong but that means that 25 kids from the state would have to do at least 120 per year plus thered be left overs for the out of towners...actual number of kids who do more than 100 in the state, maybe,,,10, and that's counting a few old farts who rock 60 but all theyre worth a 100 quality wise...

i can't believe that places like baton rouge or saskatoon or portland put out 20 a night.

maybe...La, Pheonix, Seattle, uh, austin, um, vancouver, chicago, .maybe these cities put out 20 a night....fuck i don't know i hope we're not in that big of a movement.

no one mentioned the buff? you gotta take that into consideration too. how many cars get buffed a day? how many get transformed from one company to anothers? its way too much math for me especially when you think about the buff. running out of space? never. you see alot of riced out hondas on the road but they dont even make up 5% of the cars on the road in the usa. so compare that to graff there is like so many train cars with nothing on them and just because you see alot of painted cars doesnt mean the space is coming limited. i cant belive i just made that comparison.:o

...the best bet i have for guessing the overall percentage of painted cars vs clean ones comes from benching...i know that i have never seen a single line (i'm talkin lines, not local jobs) roll through that is 100% crushed...the most i've seen is probably 70%...the average though is probaby closer to a third or less...autoracks are even lower...i'd guess some where around ten percent at the most right now, but i think this is the area that is proabbly growing fastest...

...in a way the south definately has it on lock for all year freight conditions...but at the same time, painting in 100% humidity can be worse than painting in the rain...and a humid cold is way worse than a dry one...everywhere has their ups and downs...

Guest sober

the beard aka mr IRONY

Originally posted by lepthebeard

...whatever...I could name 15 writers in my city alone...

...i've thought about this alot as well...run out of space? never, no one is factoring the buff and the new cars being produced on the regular...sober needs a drink...

HOW DARE YOU DISAGREE WITH ME ASSHOLE!! NOONE GETS AWAY WITH DOUBTING ME! YOU KNOW ME DOG. HERES A HINT. YOU AND BUDDY ROLL INTO THE YARD HUNGOVER RUBBING THE SLEEP OUT OF YOUR EYES AND 2 MORE WH/CARS WAKE YOU THE FUCK UP .

HAHAHAHHA...'SOBER NEEDS A DRINK' BET YOU THINK THATS FUNNY YOU SAID THAT NOW...CHECK MY PROFILE AND READ MY POSTS, 3 POSTS BACK.

*edited...congratulations pop.

Originally posted by BitchAssSlut

another thing that should be taken into consideration is writers painting the same car...they might have 100,000 pieces rolling, but say, 3-4 members to each car... that would cut the actual amount of painted frieghts running dramatically....

plus.. freights obviously have two sides, which would technically double the amount of shit to paint compared to the number of actual cars running..

my two cents.

my thoughts exactly. if, as someone said earlier, there are about 1million active cars in the u.s. alone that would mean there are at least 4 million available panels. and that's not counting doors. plus, just think about when you go bench. there are days when it feels like the whole line is crushed but no matter how active your area/state/line etc. there are always times where it feels like you're watching a line of fresh cars roll by as well. there's plenty out there to hit, in my estimation.