The Fugees back together

mackmode

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1491206/2...?headlines=true

THANK YOU DAVE CHAPPELLE

For the biggest comedian in the world right now, the secretive neighborhood jam was his Summer of '69, a hip-hop and R&B Woodstock that featured a hit list of his favorite artists, including a surprising reunion of the Fugees, the hip-hop trio that disbanded after their second and last album, The Score, sold 15 million copies worldwide. Lauryn Hill, Wyclef Jean and Pras came together to headline the day-long concert, which was shot by famed film and music-video director Michel Gondry for a likely DVD release.

Chappelle graced the stage to introduce the Fugees to a crowd that was expecting just a Lauryn Hill solo performance (see "Chappelle Throwing A Block Party With Kanye, Lauryn, Others"). "We were going to have Lauryn Hill perform tonight but Columbia [Records] wouldn't clear her songs," Chappelle said, referring to Hill's record label. "So she came up with a better idea. Ladies and gentleman — the Fugees!"

As the thundering bass of Bone Crusher's "Never Scared" blasted through the speakers, Wyclef ran onto the stage, getting the crowd hyped with lines from the Fugees' "Nappy Heads (Remix)." Moments later, Hill entered the stage, receiving a rousing cheer from the hundreds of fans who had gathered on the L-shaped block in Brooklyn's Fort Greene neighborhood. Wearing a short khaki coat over a flowing white pantsuit and Yankees cap cocked to the side, Hill resembled the performer of old — not the unstable, unkempt artist she's been made out to be in recent years.

Hill's verse and the emergence of Pras punctuated "Nappy Heads" and the group's other hits, which included "Fu-Gee-La" and "Ready or Not." When Hill hit her verse on "Ready or Not," the crowd joined in enthusiastically: "So while you're imitating Al Capone/ I'll be Nina Simone ..." Though Hill's new work is supposed to be in the singer/songwriter mold, she was all about dropping lyrics on this night, except when she gloriously sang "Killing Me Softly" to minimal accompaniment from the backing band.

The reunion's most delicious moment came when Wyclef, standing at a mic with his guitar, told the crowd it was time to put an end to all the rumors. Immediately, the band behind him unleashed the rhythmic stabs of Lauryn Hill's solo cut "Lost Ones," which many have considered to be a veiled declaration of autonomy from Hill toward her former bandmate. "It's funny how money change a situation/ Miscommunication leads to complication/ My emancipation don't fit your equation," she rapped, shoving herself in Wyclef's grill. While Pras and Hill danced around him with mock anger, Wyclef simply held his pose, eyes rolled upwards as he took the faux-abuse. It was a self-aware moment that underscored the genuine bond the three once shared with one another.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Hmmm...i dunno poop man.....smacks of a well-caluclated PR move to save face to me. I wouldn't put it past her to say something like that. After all, hating on whitey is all the rage these days.

i never dug the Fugees anyway.

edited for the gratuitous use of the word "anyway"

Originally posted by fermentor666

Hey, I challenge you to name one song that samples Enya more successfully.

;)

mate, in england since the early summer weve been inundated with fucking songs using that sample. First mr Winans and p diddy did that ok "ok for the 1st or 2nd listen if you skip the pdiddy rap" tune. then we had a uk artist, shola ama, come back with an answer version which as you can imagine...is crap. on top of all that, you have the remixs of said records, then the garage versions, the the dnb versions, then the house ones! its been killing me softly.

enya must be loving it £££££!!

having said all that, i personally loved the score - and i have also bought the majority of the solo albums (well, one wyclef one and the lauren hill one). the score was heavy, it had jokes interludes - the kung fu in a chinese restaurant (or was it BK?), sick tunes (ready or not, fugeela etc).

being at that show would have been heavy.