the fate of ny's oldest trains

Average White Railfan

well kiddies. the trains that gave rise to the culture we embrace so dearly are now meeting their maker. for those who love old ny trains this is a omenous sight. these are the trains that were covered with graffiti for nearly 20 years and painted red in the late 80's and early 1990's

http://www.fotango.com/p/eba00154910f00000021.jpg'>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

it's kind of sad to see. too bad a railway museum couldnt of kept a few. One day when i own thousands of acres in the middle of the desert in colorado i am going to purchase an extinct train line, similar to the one entering davy jones locker, so i could play on it with my friends. kind of like a fort or club house.

i better get back to work and start saving

this might be a good thing...okay lets say the train get all covered with see life for thousands of years, maybe more. if the ocean freezes and aliens or some crazy new life form is digging in the ice and stumbles across these trains, what would they think?

damn, crazy shit

Guest imported_SecretAgentX9
Originally posted by HESHIANDET

i rode one of the new trans recently. weird talking...

that is the worst. so annoying.

they should alternate the voices, so like friday night its flavor flav, saturday night is howard kosel, sunday night is joe pesci...

that would be fun.

Guest MR BOJANGLES
Originally posted by mopius

this might be a good thing...okay lets say the train get all covered with see life for thousands of years, maybe more. if the ocean freezes and aliens or some crazy new life form is digging in the ice and stumbles across these trains, what would they think?

damn, crazy shit

you took the words right out of my mouth!

i dont mean to sound like some tree hugger.... but since when can you just dump huge pieces of junk into the ocean? and that is weird... normally wiht old trains or someitng like that.. they would be auctioned off .. put in a museum .. or put in a park or someting some shit.. not just dumped in the ocean..

oh and yah.. CTA (chicago transit authority) trains got them damn voices to .. it pisses me off... and they are always off.. like .. it will be at fullerton stop and it will say "next stop fullerton" lol .. or the doors will be closed .. and it will say "doors closing" heh

Guest BOSTONIAN

I WILL SAY THAT THE PICTURE OF THE TRAINS GETTING DUMPED IN THE OCEAN BROUGHT A TEAR TO MY EYE....ID LIKE TO GO SCOOBA DIVING AND SEE THEM UNDERWATER..THAT WOULD BE DIFFERENT

ride the tokyo subway systems...they got automatic voices telling you teh next stop, the trains u can catch at the next stop, then they say the station name 3 times at the station, say the transfer lines again...warn about the doors closing, warn when the doors are closing, and tell you wat color underpants the conducter is wearing

yeah, thats funny...in the article they make it sound so "okay" that they are just tossing those masses of steel into the water. "habitat for the fish" hahaha, i mean personally i dont give a shit, i think it is a genius idea...just throw our junk in the water, but you know....

That new train looks deadly. Also I dont know if its true or not but there was a rumour a few years ago that the old train cars once used in Brisbane city (rattlers) could be purchased for 1 grand each. There are a few around Australia that have been turn into gimmicky resturants. I know if I was cashed up I would try to get one set up in my backyard it would be worth all the fucking around transporting it and shit for one of those big toys.

no shit i remember all those r30 & r30a's sitting in the scrap yards for nearly a year while they tried to remove the asbestos from them. guys in big white nuclear suits. now the dump them in the ocean, under the guise of becoming habatat for sea life. i mean i thought i was the only one who thought that was environmentaly...un-friendly. i find it hard to believe the salt water and the good old cheap ass lead based transit authority paint wont have some sort of negative reaction.

i have seen a similar picture of old britsh rail carridges been dumped over the side of a pier. surley these old trains have some scrap value?

Archived