Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

The FAT Boys

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by effyoo, May 23, 2003.

1. effyoo

effyoo Elite Member

[​IMG]

For some time now collectors and DJs have caused vintage vinyl of 80s Hip Hop to skyrocket in price. Except for Fat Boys records. The reason Fat Boys records are so superfluous isn’t simply because they’ve fallen from favor, it has as much to do with the massive amounts they sold, and more importantly, how prolific they were. Though they are remembered simply for their large bodies, they also produced a large body of work, bigger than most of their 80s Hip Hop contemporaries. The time has come to take a fresh look at that big body.

[​IMG]

Mark Morales (Prince Markie Dee), Damon Wimbley (Kool Rock-Ski) and Darren Robinson (known alternately as The Human Beat Box, Buff Love, Buff and Buffy) were big-boned Brooklyn neighbors and schoolmates who spent their early high school years getting into mischievous trouble together, including getting kicked off the football team. Inspired to do something with themselves after witnessing a friend’s violent death, they focused on their music. While still in high school these three husky teens would fall into a fairytale situation in which their winning combination of creativity and youthful exuberance would collide with the shameless hucksterism of one of the first truly successful Hip Hop outsider-opportunists. The results would be sublimely absurd at times, resulting in some of the most authentic Hip Hop comedy on wax, stage and video. It would also at times be desperately pandering. Ultimately, the latter would sell more, but hopefully history will recall the former when the Book Of Fat Boys is read throughout the ages.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

DISORDERLIES featured the Fat Boys as variations on themselves This film has them working as inept orderlies at a New York old folk’s home. A gambling-debt addled heir to an ill millionaire decides to kill the old man by hiring the Fat Boys who will certainly do him in with their bumbling. Despite their best clumsy efforts, they manage to make Uncle Albert "young again" by under-medicating him, taking him rollerskating, putting an Asian hooker on his lap, and declaring, "Old people need to have fun, too!" The model for this Crass Ethnics Wreak Havoc On The Wealthy comedy is supposed to be the Three Stooges, and in case you didn’t remember that, every so often the movie awkwardly throws in some slapping or Stooges-style comic sound effects. These include some effects the Stooges overlooked, including the comical audio indicating nubile boob jiggling and the unmistakable creaky "boing" of an elderly man popping a rusty boner.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Fat Boys was one of the first tapes me and my bro bought when we were little....

<insert nostalgia here>

Good times....

2. Dope thread, nice words and flicks.
    Fat Boys were fun, I remember one of my first 12" was The Twist, haha...

3. grittylifer

grittylifer Banned

my homey Mikael Krushevski from Sweden put me on to em at a Monopoly Village Party in 1987, Al Khobar Saudi Arabia.

4. Born Loser

Born Loser New Jack

5. JimmieWalker

JimmieWalker Senior Member

DISORDERLIES- What a classic.