Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

the faith of aerosol/graffiti art

Discussion in 'Brick Slayers' started by roler one tm7, Aug 14, 2003.

1. roler one tm7

roler one tm7 Member

peace yall, grandpa graff here, been off the boards for a sec, been busy holdin down business and all but now that i`ve returned to check things out it seems that all i see is bickering over who bit who or other nonsense but no art, a lot of keep it realness about fr8`s, leagals and street work, my boy serum told me that all that is on here is young heads talkin shit but no art, you got these long ass`ed threads on he said she said bullshit but no art, tons of tags in the bricks section but no art, when some dopeness does come up it`s from the cats from over sea`s, here in japan i get virtually all the mags because it`s my business to follow the artform and i love this artform for good or bad, it seems every page from the european mags are productions and usa is mostly bombin or just handful of "stars" that are in every mag, has the usa fallin off and is it jealous because other countries have raised the bar and promoted this artform with more passion than we have? at one time you could make the arguement that they had better paint than we did but no more designer paint is within everyones reach virtually, except for if your holdin it down third world style...holla at me and let me know what you think, let`s keep it as educated as possible, these urban hieroglyphics that we flexed now will be studied 100 years from now by scholars from madd different places, where will your nom de plum fall....holla...one

2. roler one tm7

roler one tm7 Member

your probably right glik0, but i figure most headz that roll this would be into piecein`, and since you took the time come thru and pop a lil shit, be opinated as the rest, also i like the mr. inquisitive title...

3. eddieguns

eddieguns Junior Member

I hear ya Roler. Big up to you and the 7 for holding down with style. You talk to Ceos lately?

4. heavyLox

heavyLox Veteran Member

im feeling your use of propper english and your ebonic spice man.

5. imported_joewelcome

imported_joewelcome Senior Member

i'm not really into threads without flicks, but step the fuck back if you don't think that roler, waqs and greed weren't some of the illest mutherfuckers ever out of NY.

if this is really roler, respect.

6. roler one tm7

roler one tm7 Member

7. roler one tm7

roler one tm7 Member

and oh yeah when i ain`t tryin stimulate the mind with long winded forums i still burn....

8. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez Member

id be curious to see what your oppinion of who and why in the u.s is doing good for the scene as a whole, whether it be innovation, style, artisticly, or just drivin for the better of the cause. youve started off intelectually, but im curious to see your side, you sell paint, that seems to benefit the scene in nyc, but how can it progress with all the bullshit goin on in the city these days, the way i see it a group of people good or bad get together to do somethin big, and the fad sems to be to bash them with the golden line "legal eagle" lol, the funny part behind this is it was a term used by espo while he was painting legaly, when i would say he was a 50/50 legal ilegal artist. but that qoute set a funny standard that it was the "cool" point you had to be at to feel important to the massses of nobodies. if you were a nobody you could simply term someone a "legal eagle" and instantly be someone who was daring and crazzzzzzzzy. lol
    im ramblin, yo roler,gimme your answer for my earlier questions, ive never met you i dont think, but i knew tich from doin the freedom tunnels back in like 92- 93?? back when u could just walk up in that shit from the park on 72nd, walk around the felnce by the busted piere on th water.. those were the days..........
    peace to the old 24.7 crew, ranks, scm, baise, tedones and them.

9. beardo

beardo Guest

you know, its ok to have some good old fashioned discussion once in a while, even in the photo section of the site, as long as its on topic and not full of retards spouting off ignorance. you wont get banned, i promise.

this is a good topic, which happens to have been discussed amongst my friends quite a bit lately. and he's right, most of the people who would/should reply to this wont see it in any forum but this one.

so im going to delete all the bullshit replies to this and we can start again.

10. ILYSH

ILYSH Member

i think there are alot of people in the usa who are doing very good graffiti artwork, but the mentality of most people in this country is to aspire to a norm or pre-set standard. very few people in the graffiti world will appreciate and embrace new styles until it's published in a magazine or something. graffiti writers are just people, you can see a bit of each person in the graffiti-art they do and how they do it, be it a tag or throw-up or piece or character, but people in general are not open-minded and are generally afraid of what other people might think if they form their own opinions, which makes them afraid to do something new or from the heart.
    i saw some flix of tm7 styles that were real liquidy and cool..nice stuff.
    im sure some 12oz goons will jump all over me for this, but that's my point exactly...

11. phism

phism Member

heh, i think i know serum from the giant robot forum...

i think in the u.s. everyone's afraid of being called art fags and wants to be hardcore and shit...

12. roler one tm7

roler one tm7 Member

see this what i`m talkin bout open ended discussion, i can`t really judge outside of what i see in nyc and the tri-state area when i`m in the states and usually when i hollar i get "nah money theres not to much goin on" but i know theres a gang of hot cats doin shit everywhere, but it seems to be a sprinkle, i maybe wrong and get at me if i am but i think overseas maybe more about the uniform production other than self promotion, i`ve seen nasty work from texas, atlanta and whatnot, but i just do not see the level and scale of work from over this way, take for example the big wall in the NYC HOF, mad old/middle school there(Part.TDS, Muse.Wallnuts, Per.FX, Eaz.FX ,Flite1 (unfinished) T-Kid, Dez, Cope2 ), but no unformity, nothin to tie the wall together, just names and color, in MY opinion not deep, do you think if that was a foreign production they would have went in that direction, no, here in japan they got some of the most talented artist out and the great thing about here is that you can do a piece leave for 10 years, come back and it won`t get crossed, not even nicked, thats how much respect level is, theres maddd faded work here, i do bench a lot of websites from all over this 3rd rock but it seems to me that once something dope is done it is immediately dissed in the states or as dirty sanchez says theres drama even to get permission to do a wall, the beast takin pictures or comin to your place of biz tryin to front like they`re writers (lol) but is that because they truley can`t differenciate btw street bombers and the masterpiecers or is it that they just don`t want to? next up to the podium.....

13. dremster

dremster Senior Member

i thought of a couple of things while reading this.

one is that this is the internet, clearly certain people get a lot of play on it while others who are doing things do not get as much publicity.
    basically it comes down to the writers or so called writers who take flicks and know how to post-as far as 12oz there in charge of showing whats going on in the graff world. also, as we all know talking behind a screen breeds a boat load of shit talkers.

another thing is that kids many youths now a day's are really screwed up. personally it seems to me that they are exposed to crap at an early age including mtv, the internet, etc etc....maybe its just me, but it seems like many of todays youths are really big assholes. (i was born in january 77 for the record)

europe has a really nice scene no doubt, its a different scene all together. i was in europe two years ago and saw burners on the side of barns in the countryside. its just plain different. but damn good.

lastly, and i'm sorry this is so long, i was reading this book about skateboarind i think and the author pointed out that kids now a days see someone doing something down twenty stairs and know its possible. where as back when i was a kid that was virtually unheard of. clearly the same applies to graffiti today.

14. roler one tm7

roler one tm7 Member

oh yeah mr sanchez, i do remember those freedom tunnels with the freedom pieces in there and the subdwellers, those were the gold ol days....

15. roler one tm7

roler one tm7 Member

one more thing before i crash it`s 3:30 am here in japan, there seems to be no mentors anymore, none of the young headz want to be under the wing, or at least admit that they are somewhat under the wing from afar, i know the designer paint makes it easier these days but even a master has a mentor....holla