THE ETIMOLOGY OF "BENCHING"

krowteN

ive been trying to think back as to the first time i heard the term benching. can anyone remember when they first heard the term

or was first introduced to the concept?

if you dont know what etimology means, go look it up

if i dont know how to spell it than i will look it up too.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

im sure somebody came up with it during the ny subway era..... i dont have my subway art book handy, but im pretty sure its defined in their little glossary of "graffiti terms"....i could have just dreamt that up though

but any specifics regarding what writer coined the term or anything like that......clueless.....but curious.....

It's spelled "etymology".

The writer's bench was originally a subway concourse in NYC (the street number escapes me, deep shame) where writers gathered to watch the trains, shoot the shit, and occasionally beef. "The bench" was a noun referring to a place where trains were watched. I don't know how it became a verb, "to bench", to sit and watch trains go by and see who is up. All I know is I do it whenever I can, which due to various factors is much less than I'd like.

Originally posted by honkyartist

Im on the bench cause I dont play with you toys

The starting line up will be all the spot jockers

name droppers and how many you did this minute

mutha fuckers

:rolleyes: stupid people like this make me sad:o

• 2 weeks later...

Im sure there were numerous "writers benches". 149th Grand Concourse is the only one that got fame because it was in stylewars. Just like all the tons of other writers who were doing shit at that time(that might have been better or more up) but they didnt get worldwide recognition because they didnt know Henry. Not to discredit anyone, just making an example.

dont be sad high ball instead of cheerleading on line.

Rails are rocked and toys online Jock

look, it's espo, no wait....it's a recycled espo with no game or rhyming ability whatsoever. hey man, you're sense of humor is as stale as a bowl of redenbacher popcorn that's been sitting out for days too long. go get a clue, it's summertime and your sappy has been ass has done nothing but sat online sounding like a sour soft patch. get used to the times or fucking adjust already. you're not going to win 12ozprophet over with your pissy late night pullovers.

and for cripes sake every sucker knows that when you've got your shit on the rails and people know it that there's more than enough time to grab a deucer and catch a highballer going by on the mainline. only you sappy crowd pleasing, never gonna be happy with yourself, angry turds would dare to be hypocritical enough to sit and be on 12ozprophet whining instead. go get a satchel, asshole.

dont be sad high ball instead of cheerleading on line.

Rails are rocked and toys online Jock

aren't you online honkey? Just curious how you could post up otherwise.

bla

CAPSloc............ I paint for dirty money and free beer.

Originally posted by and now you choke

look, it's espo, no wait....it's a recycled espo with no game or rhyming ability whatsoever. hey man, you're sense of humor is as stale as a bowl of redenbacher popcorn that's been sitting out for days too long. go get a clue, it's summertime and your sappy has been ass has done nothing but sat online sounding like a sour soft patch. get used to the times or fucking adjust already. you're not going to win 12ozprophet over with your pissy late night pullovers.

and for cripes sake every sucker knows that when you've got your shit on the rails and people know it that there's more than enough time to grab a deucer and catch a highballer going by on the mainline. only you sappy crowd pleasing, never gonna be happy with yourself, angry turds would dare to be hypocritical enough to sit and be on 12ozprophet whining instead. go get a satchel, asshole.

Rhyme on deez.

Your in love with my steez.

Drop to your kneez

Nigga Please.

Get off espo's nuts.

Taking cock all the way to your guts

Rhyme on deez.

Your in love with my steez.

Drop to your kneez

Nigga Please.

Get off espo's nuts.

Taking cock all the way to your guts

Uh, i might be wrong but i don't think females have nuts. From what i heard espo is a female writer. Unless you were just using figurative (sp?) speech with the nuts thing....

Guest oldfaithful
Originally posted by CAPS

NO............hahashahahahaha hes a guy. Who do you talk to?

nah man steven powers is agirls name

• 2 weeks later...
Guest drunken phil
Originally posted by BIG T

first heard the term bench whe i was about 11 and i saw style wars on PBS... also the same time i decided that i would being writing on shit for the rest of my life... nad that was about 14 years ago!

THEY SHOWED STYLE WARS ON PBS!?!?! well now dont i feel left out

Archived