Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

The end of privacy....

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by sectorTVA, Sep 12, 2001.

1. sectorTVA

sectorTVA Senior Member

listening to MSNBC, they say that we have to be willing to give up out internet privacy in order to combat future terrorism...supposedly the terrorists used Instant Messaging through the internet to plan for the attack. what does everyone think about this...? that means talking about graffiti or anyother criminal act through instant messaging could get you into some serious shit. of course those in support would say that if youre a decent law abiding citizen, you would not have the need to talk of criminal acts,and therefore you should never get into any serious trouble over it.

2. bobobi11

bobobi11 Elite Member

Regardless of involvement in criminal activity, the lack of privacy is a serious situation that we need to review. Even if we were able to somehow monitor the millions of exchanges on the Internet daily, there would still be ways to quickly and confidentially conduct interactions with others. Beyond that the corporate world made the internet what it is today and much of their confidential information is exchanged via this medium. I doubt they would support an action of this type.

3. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

yeah, this is a common right wing excuse for civil rights infringement, if you're not a drug user you don't have to worry about drug testing... the fact is, not matter what, they are asking us to give up freedoms provided for us by the founding fathers of our country, freedoms placed in effect presumably to facilitate our pursuit of life, liberty and happiness. I don't like peeing in a cup, I don't like the govt. monitoring my communications, digital or otherwise. These things make me UNhappy and hinder my pursuit thereof.

Sadly, it may be true that terrorists and criminals may use the various forms of telecommunications to their own nefarious ends, however, for me, that is the price of freedom.

I said it early yesterday, but I guess it bears repeating:
    The man who gives up freedom for security winds up with neither

------------------
    2 Can Sam

4. sectorTVA

sectorTVA Senior Member

Chris Matthews of MSNBC's hardball is pretty pissed off that the United States Intelligence knew immediately after seeing the passenger list, which passengers were the terrorists due to the fact that the names of the terrorists who piloted the planes were on a list that the United States Intelligence had compiled regarding people with possible terrorist links with Osama Bin Laden. He stated that we should have watched these people as soon as they set foot on American soil, and monitered their activities while they were in the US. Interesting...note that Chris Matthew is pretty far right on the political spectrum.

5. maybe also we have a no more blinds-on-your-window policy. everyone will feel safer when they can see what is going on at any given place.
    (joke).
    but really, that sucks if true.
    there are worse things to worry about though.

6. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

True this might be the future. But most of us I think don't really have that much too hide. I personally don't think they are going to worry or prosecute kids smoking weed or talking about graff. I think they would be looking for info on discussions that pose harm to society. If a bill were to be voted on within a reasonable amount of time, I think it would pass. With all the justified panic government would have an easy job convincing the public that it for our benefit.

7. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

Pistol, I'm sorry, but I will not be lulled into thinking the police will apply the laws in their most liberal context, conversely, I must expect the worst possible application, simply because it is the worst POSSIBLE application, as of now, laws are firmly in place and I see no reason to abridge the precious few freedoms I still have

------------------
    2 Can Sam

8. brown twinkie

brown twinkie Veteran Member

the only thing they can't monitor presently,
    is pgp email.
    there is no 'giving up our internet privacy' becuz we
    don't have any. its a matter of when and who has the motivation
    to peep, not IF it can be done.
    trying to secure something that isn't secure
    by any means now, is monumental in complexity....
    not to mention that efforts to do so would probably violate
    constitutional rights....the net is a massive grey area..
    i think its safe to say drastic restrictions put on
    internet communications is not going to happen....
    but who knows.............privacy on the net
    is laughable........there is barely any real security or 'privacy' on the net
    other than PGP that i'm aware of......
    and thats straight from the NSA employee
    who invented it.