The end is near.

Tyler Durden

Lately I've been feeling very cheery.

Let's look at a few things that WILL eventually lead to our demise.

map_caldera.gif

Yellowstone National Park is a huge super volcano.

fs2005-3024_fig_12.jpg

Goodbye farmland. Hello ash, starvation, and economic collapse...

According to a few sites, we're either "overdue" by about 40,000 years for an eruption, or we're not at any sort of risk in the "forseeable future". The USGS site is being a bitch for me at the moment, but once I find some more reliable sources I'll post them.

Moving right along, MEGA TSUNAMIS!

The Discovery Channel is airing something in a week or two about a situation off the northwest US coast, apparently the setup there is almost identical to the one where the Asian tsunami happened last year. My main interest in mega tsunamis lies in the Canary Islands off of North Africa:

In other words, any time in the next few thousand years a huge section of southern La Palma, weighing 500 thousand million tonnes, will fall into the Atlantic ocean.

What will happen when the volcano on La Palma collapses? Scientists predict that it will generate a wave that will be almost inconceivably destructive, far bigger than anything ever witnessed in modern times. It will surge across the entire Atlantic in a matter of hours, engulfing the whole US east coast, sweeping away everything in its path up to 20km inland. Boston would be hit first, followed by New York, then all the way down the coast to Miami and the Caribbean.

10793.jpg

bogus%20mega%20Tsunami.jpg

And of course, theres always the lovely idea of being killed off by Gamma Ray Bursts.... The most powerful known explosions in the universe.

Scientists think that gamma-ray bursts are generated in two principal scenarios. In one scenario, a star collapses in on itself, giving birth to a black hole and releasing a high-energy jet of material travelling at close to the speed of light.

The bursts could also be generated when two neutron stars collide.

"A gamma ray burst originating within 6,000 light-years from Earth would have a devastating effect on life," said co-author Dr Adrian Melott, an astronomer at the University of Kansas, US.

"We don't know exactly when one came, but we're rather sure it did come - and left its mark. What's most surprising is that just a 10-second burst can cause years of devastating ozone damage."

picture.jpg

A few of the sources I ran across equate a GRB within a thousand light years of us to a thermonuclear explosion across the entire planet all at once. The light would be a million times brighter than our own sun, anything less than 50 feet below the earths surface would be killed, and even if you were underground youd eventually suffocate or starve.

Back to work...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Sparoism

And whatever is left over after all this mayhem, it's a given that George Bush will handle it.

He's got the bunker. He's got the numbers...who needs a brain when you're in charge of the "free world"? That's crazy talk.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

The federal response to Katrina sent a clear message: You're on your own. Hurricanes are just the beginning, though. There are plenty of other disasters - natural and technological - you can look forward to dealing with. And that doesn't even include terrorist attacks. Ready?

America's Next Top Disasters

Ranking determined by likelihood and potential impact

1. Levee Failure in the Sacramento Delta

2. Flooding in the Upper Mississippi

3. Indian Point Meltdown

4. Earthquake in Missouri

5. Eruption at Yellowstone

6. Tornadoes in Dallas

7. Landslide at Mount Rainier

8. Tsunami on the Eastern Seaboard

9. Massive Power Failure in Boston

10. Rupture in the Alaska Oil Pipeline

Rupture in the Alaska Oil Pipeline

The Alaska pipeline was built to withstand everything its designers could think of. But the supports for the pipeline are anchored in permafrost, which is now melting. Up to a third of the uprights are out of alignment, and more will be at risk if the thaw continues. A pipeline break would jeopardize 850,000 barrels of oil per day - 11 percent of the nation's capacity.

Likelihood: Low. (Admitting you have a problem is the first step to fixing it.)

People affected: Entire US population, potentially

Landslide at Mount Rainier

According to the US Geological Survey, Mount Rainier presents the "greatest volcanic hazard" in the Cascade Range because there are so many people in its shadow. The USGS says an eruption could melt Rainier's glacier, sending rivers of volcanic mud and ash - a moving wall of cement - toward Puget Sound.

Likelihood: Medium. Such slides occur once or twice a millennium. It's been 550 years since the last one.

People affected: 2.4 million

Eruption at Yellowstone

Yellowstone's pretty geysers and hot springs are powered by one of the world's most active volcanic systems. Previous eruptions buried most of North America - really - from Arkansas to Oregon, Canada to Mexico. The next one could do the same.

Likelihood: Low. But not zero.

People affected: Depending on the size of the eruption, anywhere from tens to hundreds of millions

Levee Failure in the Sacramento Delta

Next to New Orleans, the capital of California is more dependent on levees than any other US city. Built on the banks of a river, most of Sacramento is 15 to 20 feet below water level. According to UC Davis geologist Jeffrey Mount, there's a better-than-even chance that the levees will fail by midcentury, jeopardizing the water supply of 22 million Americans.

Likelihood: High. 66 percent in the next 50 years.

People affected: 22 million

Flooding in the Upper Mississippi

When you try to contain a river, you're bound to spill some. The very qualities that made the banks of the Mississippi the perfect place to start a village also make it the worst place to build anything permanent. The river produces spectacular floods about once every 20 years, no matter what we do to stop it.

Likelihood: High. The last great floods were in 1993, so we're coming due.

People affected: 72 million - everyone in the Mississippi floodplain

Tornadoes in Dallas

The National Weather Service is worried about a tornado cluster over Dallas at rush hour. The fear: A big twister traps 87,000 people in their cars and causes nearly $3 billion in property damage, making it the one of the most destructive tornadoes in US history.

Likelihood: Medium. Dallas has dodged the bullet. So far.

People affected: 5.7 million

Massive Power Failure in Boston

A dearth of new power plants combined with a growing population means that New England is poised for summer blackouts by 2008. A blackout caused by a heat wave, like the one that hit Chicago in 1995, would be wicked bad.

Likelihood: Medium. Depends on whether new power plants get built.

People affected: 14 million

Indian Point Meltdown

In the mid-1950s, it seemed like a good idea to have a nuclear reactor 35 miles from Manhattan. Now it doesn't. When sirens sound and the evacuation orders come, even the rich may not be able to leave, since half of New York City dwellers don't have access to a car.

Likelihood: Medium. There could be one accident in 600,000 years of operation, or it could happen tomorrow.

People affected: 21 million

Earthquake in Missouri

In 1811, New Madrid, Missouri, saw the most powerful earthquake ever recorded in the lower 48; it rang church bells as far away as Boston. A large temblor along the fault line would hit St. Louis and Memphis, which lack effective earthquake building codes.

Likelihood: High. 90 percent chance of a magnitude 6 or 7 quake in the next 50 years.

People affected: 3.7 million

Tsunami on the Eastern Seaboard

A small volcanic Canary Island called La Palma controls the fate of the East Coast. A 1949 eruption caused the western side of the island to slip a few yards into the Atlantic. In a future seismic event, the 500-billion-ton ridge could slide farther into the ocean, resulting in a mega-tsunami that would strike the East Coast.

Likelihood: Low. Might not happen for a few thousand years, if ever.

People affected: Everyone on the eastern seaboard

http://wired.com/wired/archive/13.11/start.html?pg=20

Guest Sparoism
Originally posted by Tesseract@Dec 15 2005, 12:12 PM

With proper structures 6-7 earthquakes are shit. Been through it 3 times already.

I've been through at least 5 easrthquakes in my time, up to a 7.1 (10/17/89 Loma Prieta) and you know what?

I'm cooooooooool. I want to try out a 8.3 just for the hell of it.

Tesseract, you're in Greece, correct? You and Japan have got it goin' ON!

The Discovery Channel had an interesting movie a few months ago about there being an eruption at Yellowstone. Interesting stuff.

As for the Canary Island Tsunami idea, most everything I've read on it says that it's one of the more dire problems we're looking at. The last eruption in 1949 has basically set half the island to hang by a thread. Obviously, the volcano could erupt 10.... 15.... 100 more times and not have anything happen, but it seems that theres a very good chance that the next one could trigger this tsunami.

I'm saying, really think about this, how fucked are we if something like that, or Yellowstone goes down?

Aside from the MILLIONS of deaths that would happen very, very quickly, we're looking at an almost guaranteed collapse of the worlds economy and civilization as we know it. We're talking the VAST majority of the "worlds capitals" being wiped off the map. Forget the stock market crashing, it'll be under 40 fucking feet of water.

Something I'm curious about, for all the structural engineers that reside on here.... Is do you think that any skyscrapers/tall structures would be left standing? I would think so, but we're talking about an incredibly destructive event.... All I know is, there wouldnt be any point in me attempting to evacuate. Every road, bridge, and tunnel would be gridlocked as people try to escape from Long Island, the outer boroughs, and Manhattan. So I would be inclined to consider getting to the top of the nearest tall building.

Guest Sparoism

There's something else here. Two things.

1. Tsunamis sometimes tend to disperse their energy as they travel across long distances. No one knows why, but a betting man such as myself would check to see what the history of major tsunamis is against ANTICIPATED major tsunamis.

2. Waves break in water that is half as deep as the wave is high, so the further you are inland (say, on the west side of Manhattan) you don't actually have to deal with tidal pressure, just the flood. Most of the buildings would ride it out, if I don't miss my bet...so, any modern building over ten stories would be a safe bet. Stay away from brick, wood, or brownstone, and you're even better off. Not exactly great news, to be sure, but anything inland would only fail if it wasn't able to withstand the equivalent of a Category 5 storm surge. Msot modern buildings would suffer some damage but would remain standing....BTW, I'm applying some high school physics and am not up to date on seismology, so this theory could easily be shot down.

Just move to Calgary. The weather sucks, but it's safe there, at least.

Well, most of the stuff I've read on the tsunami says that North Africa near the Sahara is getting the worst of it, in the form of a 355 meter wave.

The eastern US would have 8 or so hours warning, I'm debating bicycling my way to Westchester where I have some family and hopefully being a little safer, the wave that would hit us would still be 20 or so meters high, but I would imagine it's going to wipe out Coney Island/Long Islands south shore and work its way north from there, so by the time it gets near me, it's power is probably going to dissipate from having run into so many 3-8 story buildings/cars so that if I was to get to.... say.... the top of the Williamsburg Savings Bank's clock tower, maybe I could ride it out from there. I think if you got away from the southern tip of Manhattan and away from the waters edge in general you could probably ride the flood out...

As for the question posed about weapons triggering the half of the islands breakoff, one of the things I read said that we have no way of "safely releasing the landslide.... or diverting the enormous force of the tsunami" which.... yeah... I dont see how we possibly could hope to stop something so powerful. Although, I wonder if it wouldnt be possible to aid in triggering the landslide in some sort of terrorist plot? Plant a small nuclear device near wherever the breakline is and see what happens. A pretty cost effective way to hit many targets at once......