THE ELECTRIC PRUNES APPRECIATION THREAD:

ETHREADZNY

60's PSYCHEDELIC ROCK AT IT'S BEST. SOME OF THE BEST MUSIC I HAVE HEARD IN A WHILE..

DOWNLOAD

BULLET THRU THE BACKSEAT

I HAD TO MUCH TO DREAM LAST NIGHT

GET ME TO THE WORLD ON TIME

http://members.tripod.com/~shadwell/epfront.jpg'>

It was this classic line-up of Lowe, Tulin, Williams, Spagnola and Ritter that released the next Prunes single - 'I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night' - which has epitomised '60s 'garage punk'. Written by Annette Tucker and Nancie Mantz, the song was originally demoed by Jerry Vale.

The oscillating, reverse-play guitar sound of 'I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night' came out of the the Leon Russell house session when the band were messing around. The single was released in November 1966. At first it was caught up in the Christmas rush but made steady progress up the U.S. charts and finally peaked at number 11. It also reached number 49 in the U.K. charts.

According to Ken Williams : "I have a 1958 Les Paul guitar, it's the only guitar that I play. Its worth about $50,000. I finally had to break down and start replacing some of the electronics. I bought that when the group was first staring for about $300. It has a Bigsby wiggle stick on it. That's where the sound came from at the beginning of 'Too Much to Dream'. That guitar had a lot of influence in what the group was to be come."

The success of this single lead the Electric Prunes into more promotional activities. The band toured constantly, opened record shops and recorded adverts.

The Electric Prunes opening The Reseda House of Music, California in 1967

The band recorded an advert for the Vox Wha-Wha pedal - the exact date of the recording is lost in the mists of time - possibly late 1966 or early 1967. What the advert demonstrated was the capabilities of Ken Williams as a fine guitarist. This advertisement is available on a very sought after promo single on the Thomas label but it is more readily available on the Pebbles Volume 2 compilation. Click here to hear the advert! In addition to recording an advert for Vox, the band appeared in magazines promoting the use of Vox equipment such as 'Vox Teen Beat' magazine.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Archived