Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

The effects thread

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by OMG Im Naked, Apr 20, 2005.

1. OMG Im Naked

OMG Im Naked Junior Member

Lettering, and cleanliness aside, i wanted to start a discussion to encourage people to share some of the effects they use to get that extra crispness and vibrancy on their peices. I'm not really talking about generic things like highlights and 3d but more like little discrete things that arent noticed till somone points them out.

The ones i pretty much know and use have been done to death

- If you have strobes in your 3d (little squars or lines) adding a little bit of white mist on top of them will give them a glowing effect kinda like its lit up

-One effect i really like is one seen here done by Askew, he does two sets of highlights, one on the left side in a differnt shade from his fill and then one on the right side which is just the standard white, this makes the fill appear kinda shiny and brings out the colours a lot more as can be seen below:

So anyone else have any effects they would like to share and teach the rest of us to enhance our letters/fills?

2. OMG Im Naked

3. OMG Im Naked

Notice the two sets of highlights..

[​IMG]

4. master bait

master bait Member

5. ABSTRKT

ABSTRKT New Jack

what i really like is details in the 3d... like a mist or some indents etc... that makes the piece.... at least for me.

6. THE OMEN

THE OMEN Junior Member

ASKEW'S HOT...FIRST TIME SEEING HIS WORK.....ANYWHOO....IN HIS PIECES....HE'S NOT USING TWO HIGHLIGHTS....IT'S ONE HIGHLIGHT AND A SHADOW ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE HIGHLIGHT...TAKE THAT RED PIECE FOR EXAMPLE....HE HAS HIS BASE COLOR....THEN ONE DARKER (SHADOW) AND ONE LIGHTER(HIGHLIGHT). GOOD THREAD IDEA....MAYBE IT WON'T GET LOCKED.

7. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

they're called 'lowlights' and they give the illusion of a 'bubbled' or raised sort of look. hardly unique to askew.

i won't close it, i suppose this could be a decent thread, although i assume more than anything it will just get a few people using all the same tricks in their pieces.

8. graffkid15

graffkid15 New Jack

9. OMG Im Naked

I didnt mean askew invented them, just using his work as an example.

Another effect i think looks quite decent is the distorted look either a distorted outline or a distorted fill (usually coming out of the outline) i cant really find any photos of this if, hopefully someone can.

10. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

the problem with that is it's a super gimmicky sort of trick, and if you see it more than once in any given month, it starts to look played out. it can be cool, but in the hand of amatures, it's a dissaster waiting to happen.

to adapt an old proverb, you've got to learn to color inbetween the lines before you can learn how to color outside them.

11. graffkid15

graffkid15 New Jack

12. master bait

master bait Member

for extra effect, leave out the lines. just use highlights and "lowlights" for the line effect. that should look very special.

edit: corrected a mistake

13. insane30

insane30 Member

somehting thats used quite often but really brings out a peice in my opinion is a white inline
    [​IMG]
    this is the best example i could ifnd that u can really see it...imagine the peice iwht out the white inline, its still dope letters n everything but for colors the white sais alot

14. CACashRefund

CACashRefund 12oz Loyalist

Fades and arrows.
    And lots of them.

15. Gunm

Gunm Banned

^^^

bubbles too...stars are a no-brainer