the Dondi book

mapo wc

sorry if theres already a thread on this.

I was just wondering what are the opinions on the Dondi book from people who read it. Im always hesitant to buy graf books because book stores rarely carry them and I hate ordering shit online, especially since I cant preview it at the store. Does anyone know if the Dondi book is available at stores?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i stole the dondi book and returned it the next day.

wasn't what i was expecting.

reads like a biography, loads of rare flicks. good stuff, i suppose.

Guest BIGMETALCIRCUS

i thought it was extremely well written and the photos were excellent. bought it at barnes and noble... i think its well worth the money.

Guest defyone

ive heard so much about it from wes, i really want to pick it up. and i got a gift certificate to barnes and noble for my birthday.. so looks like im gonna do some shizzopppinnnn!

The book is dope....real dope.I got it for christmas, and I felt like I was 13 again, when I had got Subway Art for Christmas...and then Spray Can ART......NOW..THE BANGER.....DONDI....was really dope..like ahead of his time even now dope...good shit...go out and get it..tell a friend....DONDI was a true TRAIN KING......RESPECT DUE.

Guest imported_sofarok
Originally posted by !!!

what did you expect?

well I went to the mall yesterday. inside was a small waldenbooks store.

so I ask the old lady 'do you have a book about Dondi?'..she looks at me like Im a dumbass, sorta chuckles..and says yes. Im like 'wow, I never thought theyd have it'. So shes like 'here ya go'..pointing to a book about Ghandi.

Originally posted by !!!

reads like a biography, loads of rare flicks. good stuff, i suppose.

yo i'm sad to hear that you didn't like the book, that's ok if that's how you feel, but the book is mad fresh, the olny thing is that i wish he would have wrote it himself, i know that he is happy with the way it came out, peace and love from DUROCIA, REST IN PEACE MY BROTHER, CIA "CAUSE I AM" TRANSIT ORIGINAL PRINTERS!

Originally posted by thouking

yo i'm sad to hear that you didn't like the book, that's ok if that's how you feel, but the book is mad fresh, the olny thing is that i wish he would have wrote it himself, i know that he is happy with the way it came out, peace and love from DUROCIA, REST IN PEACE MY BROTHER, CIA "CAUSE I AM" TRANSIT ORIGINAL PRINTERS!

I take it you are Duro CIA? If you are, thats mad ill. You should kick knowledge to everyone on here about the old school and shit. Even just tellin stories about you and the other famous writers from back in the day would be ill.

Ive had the book over a month and still cant put it down. If you are into old school stuff the book is amazing. His styles are beyond dope. He had such a great imagination when it came to lettering. The people that dont care about seeing his work should because if you look at the stuff he was doing 20 years ago, its still being copied today by new heads and they dont even know it.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by YEAHMANWORD

the book was sick...articles were great.. great layout. flicks were amazing. good stories. great...worth the money... go get it

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR RESPECT TO DONDI, ME AND MIKE THAT'S DONDI BROTHER WAS TALKING ABOUT THE BOOK YESTERDAY, ABOUT THE RESPOND AND THE RESPECT THAT YOUR HAVE SHOWN TOWARDS DONDI, AND I CAN TELL YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF OUR HEARTS, THAT DON IS IN HEAVEN SMILING DOWN AT US AND ALL OF USES! THANKS ONCE AGAIN, AND THERE'S MORE TO COME SOON, AND ABOUT A SHORT STORY ABOUT THE GOLDEN YEARS, HERE IS ONE! IN 1980 THE NEW YORK TRANSIT SYSTEM HAD A STRIKE, THE FIRST NIGHT OF THE STRIKE WAS THE NIGHT THAT DON DID THAT DONDI WITH THE HAND CHILDREN OF THE GRAVE PART 2, THAT WAS HIS FIRST PIECE IN MONTHS BECAUSE HE HAD STOP WRITING, LIKE MANY OF US HAVE DONE THROUGH OUT THE YEARS, ANY WAY, HE HAD LIKE 12 CANS IN HIS BASEMENT AND HE WANTED TO DO A WHOLE CAR, I CAN STILL SEE IN HIS EYES! TO THIS DAY THAT LOVE OF GRAFF THAT EVERY ONE OF US HAVE HAD MANY TIMES, YALL KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING THE FIRE THAT BURNS WITHIN US ALL, ANYWAY HE ASK ME IF I HAD CANS CAUSE HE NEEDED MORE CANS TO THIS THIS WHOLE CAR THAT HE WANTED TO DO, I TOLD HIM SURE I HAVE CANS, THAT'S WHEN HE SHOW ME THAT OUTLINE FOR THE CAR, WHEN I LOOKED AT IT, THE WORDS THAT CAME OUT OF MY MOUTH WAS AWESOME, I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT, HERE I WAS LOOKING AT HISTORY ONCE AGAIN,WE HAD MANY HISTORY MOMENTS BUT THIS ONE WAS ONE OF THE BEST, RIGHT THERE AND THEN, I TOLD HIM YO I WANTED TO PAINT ME A LITTLE SMETHING SOMETHING, BUT FUCK THAT BRO I HAVE 16 CANS AND YOU CAN HAVE THEM, THE LOOK ON HIS FACE AND THAT BIG SMILE HE ALWAYS HAD WHEN EVER HE WAS GETTING READY TO BURN, I WILL NEVER FORGET, THAT BURNING FEELING WAS THE SAME BURNING FEELING THAT MICKEY 729 AKA TOTOP, AND HURSTTOP AKA OI HANDED DOWN TO US MANY YEARS BACK, SO HERE WE WAS KNOWING THAT ALL THE YARDS AND TUNNELS WAS PACK TO THE TEE, SO WE DECIDED TO GO TO UTICA LAY UP, WE WAKED FROM DONDI HOUSE TO UTICA WAS LIKE 20 STOPS FROM HIS HOUSE,WHEN WE GOT THERE THE ONLY NOISE WE CAN HEAR WAS THE RATS CAUSE EVERYTIHNG WAS SO PEACEFUL, THE FIRST THING WE DID WAS TO CHECK THE STATION, THERE WASN'T A SOUL AROUND, WE HAD THE WHOLE SYSTEM TO OURSELF, WE BROKE INTO THE WORKBUMS LOCKERS, WE HAD KEYS, PLAYBOY MAGS, CONDUCTORS HATS, YOU NAME IT WE HAD IT, WE HAD FOOD, BEERS, WINE, WOW THINKING ABOUT THAT DAY NOW BRINGS BACK ALL THESE FEELINGS OF JOY, WE WERE TWO KIDS AND WE HAD OUR OWN TRAIN SYSTEM, SO AFTER WE FINISH RAIDING THE PLACE, DONDI SAID, YO I WANT TO DRIVE THIS TRAINS, I WAS LIKE YOU HAVE TO BE OUT OF YOUR MIND DON, BUT DEEP INSIDE I KNEW HE WASN'T, OK GUYS I CAN'T GIVE YALL ANYTHING ELSE CAUSE YALL WILL READ IT SOON, IN MY BOOK, LIKE I SAID YOU HAVEN'T SEE ANYTHING YET, I HAVE HUNDREDS OF STORYS SHIT THAT MEANS MORE THEN JUST WHO DID THE FIRST THIS, OR THE FIRST 3D, SURE THAT'S PART OF WRITING, BUT WHO CARE'S ANY MORE OF WHO WAS KING OF THIS OR KING OF THAT, I RELIVE THE GOLDEN YEARS, TIMES AND STORY OF WHAT WAS SAID, WHY IT WAS DONE, AND WHAT IT REALLY WAS TO STAND ON THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN! CIA TOP RTW ROCSTARS TRUE SKOOL KINGS! DONDI RIP MY BROTHER!

better books...

found on amazon.com

scrawl "dirty graphics"

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1584230037.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg'>

scrawl too "more dirt"

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1861542135.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg'>

also available at http://giantrobot.com/grstore/grstorebooks.html

street market twist, espo, reas

http://giantrobot.com/grstore/zines/streetmarket.jpg'>

kawsone

http://giantrobot.com/grstore/zines/kaws.jpg'>

Originally posted by A Fire Inside

From front to back this book ROCKS. Everything in it, flicks, stories, interview- ALL AWESOME. I was also delighted to see the "above ground" works. I would love to have some of that on my walls. Just an incredible book, well worth every cent.

yeah it's a hell of a book, and yo if you want to see some things on your wall, logon to bemflix.com and to the the store section your find some stuff peace!

yo- I just picked up the book and I have say that its a must to all graf heads that have been painting for at least more then 5 years. I remeber seeing Dondi in style wars and wondered what else he did, man the book displays his canvaes, early sketches and a lots of trains- excellent book, come on, even Besquiat (<--sorry if I didint spell his name right) was at his showing-

Much love goes to Dondi--:cool:

the book is stupid fresh

like evryones been saying....the book is awesome........its ill how some of the styles ,of the letters,are way ahead of there time(and still fresh today)and then later dated shit is'nt as good.....this made me think about it, and the reason is that there was no comparing to other shit because it was all being created right then and there....and it was all being done for the first time,,,,,,(the styles that were created by everywriter back in that day were all made up....they had nothing to influence there shit....they were their own influense.......the sickest dondi peice in the book (to me anyway)is the dondi/bev79 peice done in 78(its on page 30.)if you look at the style in those letters man.......it blows my mind that that shit was '78.....respect to dondi,,,and his boys that put the book together..........................definate must get

• 2 months later...

Archived