Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

The Dancer Upstairs

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by chicken bone, Sep 27, 2003.

1. chicken bone

chicken bone Guest

http://www.mostradelcinemadivenezia.tv/2002/images/dancer%20upstairs.jpg'>

In light of Tesser and Browner's talk of this film I caught it as soon as it was available. I've always enjoyed John Malkovich's acting as well as Javier Bardem's. Glad to see Malkovich stepping it up and providing something absolutely intense and involving.

Awesome story, awesome premise.. Some beautiful shots. Great acting coming from all the cast.

*There is also really nice use of music and dance and sound in this film..

Shot on location in Spain, Ecuador, & Portugal.

I base my props on the fact that the movie had me by the balls the entire time... Even got me a bit paranoid and freaked out. Totally transports you into this crazy world.

*For those of you who don't know, the film is set in Latin America during one of the weirdest and craziest secret revolutions. Hundreds of dogs hung dead on lamposts with messages pioneering the coming of "La Presidente Ezekiel!"
    Color coded fireworks exploding in the sky as a form of secret code..
    Little kids with bombs attached to their backs running into buildings and blowing up.. .Dogs with dynomite attached to their tails and running through the city, etc..etc...... And all in the middle is Bardem, who plays a sort of detective guy set out to track down 'Presidente Ezekiel'.

2. chicken bone

chicken bone Guest

By the way, the film is based on a novel by Nicholas Shakespeare. The screenplay was adapted by him as well.. Turns out all the events were based on historical events in Peru during the 1980's.

3. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

It's on my 'must-see-list'.

so how's the film nerd thing going :chicken: boner?

4. iloveboxcars

iloveboxcars 12oz Royalty

ive been planning to watch it. just been too busy.

5. suburbian bum

suburbian bum 12oz Loyalist

sorry this is kinda off topic, but is ezekiel cothing company named after this?

6. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

off topic reply... I doubt it.

It's a biblical name so I'm sure people have heard of it
    without knowing anything about the Peruvian deal-lio.

7. chicken bone

chicken bone Guest

Goin goood.. Really really busy though. I like to pretend i'm a sponge and I can soak up the multitudes of information being shot at me 9-10 hours a day but I catch myself slipping every once in a while. Shit is intense to say the least.

I gotta shoot you an email sometime, today I attended a short seminar at the film fest goin on here. Checkin a couple movies too. The whole 'DV revolution' seems to be the biggest rave and gossip at the moment.

Every fifth word seems to start or end with 'digital intermediary' and the like, or any other catch phrase that involves DV to 35mm transfers..

We should all start a co-op between me you and brownski. We'll conjugate in Alberta and the Yukon and make documentaries on fly fishing, bestiality, and Canadian priests.

8. effyoo

effyoo Elite Member

Just give me a call. I got the hookups for that shit 'round these parts.

9. space base

space base Senior Member

I saw it at the videostore today, but I didn't rent it. Maybe I will next time.

10. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

yo yo yo...
    caught it tonight~quite tight.
    bardem is the man. although he fuckin'
    destroys in before night falls, he was
    pretty good in this too..and i saw his pee pee.
    it just finished about 15 ago, so i'm still soaking
    it up. i had a bit of a time understanding some
    of the dialogue though..
    overall truth be told though, 'stevie' has still got me
    on lock.

11. Word chickenbone...glad you digged it...What i loved about the film is the awesome atmosphere it has...shot in a great way..another thing is the anorthodox way this revolution operates...its really sucks you in. Its not the kind of movie that you'll be thinking about all the time..but it sure gives you a dope 2 hours and enough moments to ponder upon.

Brownman....i really dont feel like suggetsing films to you:tongue::dazed: haha

12. crave

crave Veteran Member

my interest has been pulled. i'm gonna have to check this one out.

13. Intangible

Intangible 12oz Legend

at my friends house we think the people constanyl smoek crack and dance around...because they are constantly doing shit at all hours of the night...

14. Just finished watching it... A+ all over the place. Great fucking film.

I thought Yolanda was sooo fucking hot for some reason...

15. rental

rental Dirty Dozen Crew

ive been wanting to watch this since i saw nowhere in afica. (that was an awesome movie. it was in english swahili and german. )
    but
    girls are poor these days.