The creative, the weird, and the fucked up

SilentBob

This is an old cliche, but its really true

ever noticed how creative people, like good artists or poets and musicians, both now and in history, are normally totally weird or atleast don't have their shit the slightest bit together ?

There are exceptions ofcourse there always are. But the general bulk of creative people are normally if not strange, then crazy substance abusers or suicidal or deaf musicians or something along those lines.

It makes you wonder why we have a society where normal is something you want to be ... or atleast most people try to pass themselfs off as ( note this doesn't mean being Joe conservative... by normal I mean conforming with humanity ... it's a bit hard to articulate.. but it seems almost everying is fitting in with some sort of group or cultural perception) .... Its just a strange phenomenon ... It also makes you wonder if being a creative person is a good thing at all .. like if your good at writing does it mean you might be doomed to a buck wild william blake kind of existence ? ( if your a girl replace blake with uhhhhhh sylvia plath ? )

that is all ..

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i'd rather be happy than creative any day

and i'm sure these days, lots of people jerk themselves off into thinking they're isolated and in need of medications and all that jazz, just so they can 'express themselves through art' because they lack any real communication skills.

i'm done

last semester in my sociology class i did a project on suicide and all the demographics behind it. while reading a bunch of shit i came across a paper in the american journal of sociology all about how artists are at a much greater risk of suicide. it was very detailed and well layed out (as most journal articles are i guess...) and listed off all the professions that entail being an artist (ie: author, musician, painter, etc.) it concluded that the rate of suicide amongst members of the art community is something like 400% greater than "normal" professions, and that the rate of mental diseases was even higher than the risk of suicide.

*it might not have actually been 400%. im halfway sure it was. but it was some figure that made me go "wow alright". i should really try to find that article again.

creativity sticks out, because if creativity was just the "norm" it wouldn't be speicial. hence your claim, for those who had artistic value, were weird. hence, the weird was not the norm, so overall, their wierdness, made them stand out, in which their art, stood out form the "regular" art produced.

did that at all make sense?

Conclusion: Think outside the box.

i went through a spell a little whille ago where i dreamt about specific events happening to specific people before they happened.

for instance: a certain person getting hit by a car, only for it to actually happen the next day...

i've also been told, "You're pretty fucked up aren't you"... reply, "Why yes I am".

Life is not easy for visionaries and heretics. I like to correlate artists with religious figures because there are many parallels. Besides, artistic expression is very introspective dealing with such intangible subjects. But yeah, people only think we are crazy because they don't understand us. Besides, not being normal can be difficult and even fatal. It's an age old battle between institutions and establishments verses visionaries and heretics. Unfortunately it can take society centuries to catch on to what we were up to. :rolleyes:

normal people paint bunnies.

crazy people paint robotic death rabbits of doom with carrot lazers and one eye that's a little bit bigger than the other one and its paws are made of steel so when it hops on the pavement it makes a terrible scratching sound and it looks tortured.

or not. whatever.

ADD isnt even a real disease, and it being "diagnosed" can really fuck a person up. Teachers in some places will tell parents they need to get their children on medication that will make them much worse off in the long run. TEACHERS mind you, not doctors.

people who have "attention deficit disorder" are just people who don't have the willpower to force themselves to pay attention to things for very long. i'm one of them, but im not trying to blame it on some condition or whatnot. it's just how i am...and im sure smoking a lot of weed has something to do with it, unfortunately.

and theres a fine line between people who truly are ingenius but misunderstood/not understood at all, and people full of shit who SAY the reason they dont succeed is because they are "too deep" or "too advanced" or "too original/different" for people to deal with. these people actually just suck and are unable to admit it to themselves.

well just look at picasso

as it turns out he had a brain disease whereas he would get these migraines so bad that everything he saw was not line up like one side of the canvass would be higher than the other, and thats why they say his paintings are all like that..

ya its fucked

look at mozart

You've been listening to the adagio from Beethoven's 7th Symphony. I think Ludwig pretty much summed up death in this one. You know, he had lost just about all his hearing when he wrote it, and I've often wondered if that didn't help him tune into the final silence of the great beyond.

Originally posted by timemachine

well just look at picasso

as it turns out he had a brain disease whereas he would get these migraines so bad that everything he saw was not line up like one side of the canvass would be higher than the other, and thats why they say his paintings are all like that..

ya its fucked

look at mozart

look at vangogh

adfadf

van gogh is amazing, and completely fucked

i dont know if all these facts are right (remembering from school)

- he decided he wanted to be an artist only 10 years before he died

-the last 3 years of his life he painted an average of 2 paintings a day

- he cut off his ear..brought it to a brothel..and gave it to a prostitute (he also said something to the girl after he gave it to her)

-drank tons of absinthe

-die from shooting himself in the crotch (possibly because of homosexual urges towards another artist)

i love van gogh, there is a book out called dear theo..and its letters van gogh sent to his brother.....im gonna get it soon

i thought van gogh was insane due to him dipping his brush in his paint, then putting it in his mouth so he would make the tip of the brush more narrow, thus allowing the lead in the paint fuck up his train of thought:D

same deal with some russian czar from along time ago, he used to drink out of lead cups and he went insane

Originally posted by SilentBob

This is an old cliche, but its really true

ever noticed how creative people, like good artists or poets and musicians, both now and in history, are normally totally weird or atleast don't have their shit the slightest bit together ?

There are exceptions ofcourse there always are. But the general bulk of creative people are normally if not strange, then crazy substance abusers or suicidal or deaf musicians or something along those lines.

It makes you wonder why we have a society where normal is something you want to be ... or atleast most people try to pass themselfs off as ( note this doesn't mean being Joe conservative... by normal I mean conforming with humanity ... it's a bit hard to articulate.. but it seems almost everying is fitting in with some sort of group or cultural perception) .... Its just a strange phenomenon ... It also makes you wonder if being a creative person is a good thing at all .. like if your good at writing does it mean you might be doomed to a buck wild william blake kind of existence ? ( if your a girl replace blake with uhhhhhh sylvia plath ? )

that is all ..

Yes, this subject is VERY cliche.

On another note, I think most graffiti writers, like many artists in any other genre are somewhat eccentric.

I have noticed over that past couple years that writers are always strange in some way. im sure theres exeptions, but almost everybody i know who writes has got an oddity, no matter how large or small.

for instance, PMB posted this in another thread

http://www.hardvice.net/images/jesusandspiderman.jpg'>

nbow, keep in mind that i dont know PMB but come'on, this is some weard shit.

funny though.

Normally, I would argue such claims. I think reports and or statistics are less viable than most people think.

Though, I said... normally.

About ten years ago I read through this book entitled The Secret Languages of Birthdays. For everyday of the year it had two pages of deep spiritual meaning, or so some would think. Sort of a detailed horoscope for that day. It also lists famous people born on that day. So naturally, I looked up my birthday. Come to find out that there were a lot of famous artistic people born on the same day. The majority of which commited suicide. A few others had become so eccentric in the later parts of their lives that they dropped off into obscurity.

So, I got that going for me... which is nice.