the COFFEE DRINKERS thread

Guest !!! SUB DUDE

Guest !!! SUB DUDE

i am a gourmet coffee fanatic. let's discuss our favorite flavors and roasts and blends and regions and coffee drinks.

personally, i won't drink anything that's made with robusta beans (most of the mass-produced coffee out there). robusta is way shitty. seriously. unlike the ARABICA beans, which are smooth, larger, and uniform in shape and color (unroasted, light green, as opposed to a hodgepodge of shit brown and tan-yellow). the flavor is also less "dirty."

out of the three coffee-growing regions worldwide, my favorites are the african-arabian varieties, which are more winey, as opposed to the south american varieties (very clean and smooth) or the indonesian ones ("earthy" aka "DIRTY")....WITH the exception of jamaica blue mountain, which is basically the best coffee bean in the world, and is only grown on this one mountain, and costs $25 for an 8 oz bag.

discuss. i will continue after a sugarfree hazelnut iced latte with soy milk.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest !!! SUB DUDE

sooooo i GUESS most of you just stay lethargic for most of the day??

and i guess that i'm the only one who can say that he got a $50 bodum french press for free today, huh? pfffff. you guys are booooringgggg

Guest !!! SUB DUDE

now WHERE would you get a notion like that. i simply want to talk about coffee. did you know, seeking, that contrary to popular belief, the DARKER a coffee's roast is, the LESS caffiene is present? the roasting process actually DIMINISHES the amount of coffee in the bean. and that is why i stick with medium-light blends.

WRONG!!!

Blue Mountain coffee is a sham.

It's all part of a hype machine like DeBoers Diamonds or Puff Daddy's Family.

You can get just as fine a coffee from Kona to Kenya,

just know what you're actually buying and you'll be fine.

besides...... Beans should go from roast to cup in less than 3 days,

so unless you're buing the bluemountain beans IN Jamaica,

you're compromising quality from the very begining.

I drink straight espresso, unsweetened.

< coffee snob >

Originally posted by seeking

i could have sworn we banned you for being a total douchebag.

OOOOOOOOoooo

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/9764/flamethrower.jpg'>

Sub Dude, you got BURNED G!

Oh, but yeah, I'm like Bonnie....I tend to buy cheap coffee simply to wake up. I usually only have the gourmet expensive shit when i go out to dinner at a nice restaurant

Guest !!! SUB DUDE

wellllllllllll K3, it's a sham that i like. also, do your prefer your espresso machiato (sp), con panna, or plain? because an espresso shot only stays fresh for 10 seconds, soooo if you wish to enjoy it for a longer period of time, you must add milk (machiato = milk froth, con panna = cream), or your shot will be SUPER bitter.

To be honest.... I'm more of a tea drinker these days.

Honestly.... Untill you've tried White Tea..... you just dont know decadence.

http://www.lamyx.com/white/whitebg.jpg'>

• The most prized of all teas, yet the least known. White teas are comprised of young buds and tender leaves, which are either steamed or sun dried. Very few plantations produce white tea. Some still practice the traditional plucking method once reserved for the Chinese Emperor. Known as the "Imperial Plucking", the traditional method removes only the bud and the first leaf from the bush. White tea is held to be particularly valuable for lowering heat, combating the influence of dampness, and stimulating the intestinal tract.

very good SB....

here's the thing;

If you add milk too soon, I belive it kills the creama

and ruins that first sip. I might add some milk after that first sip. Less than a table spoon for sure.

but yeah..... I'm on a tea kick these days.

Guest !!! SUB DUDE

more vital info:

espresso shots should be "pulled" at a time of 16 to 26 seconds, with a "perfect" shot landing between 18 and 22. long shots taste burned, while short ones are watered-down. UNLESS you prefer espresso rettrito (literally "restricted"), which is pulled short intentionally.

sorry, i consider myself a coffee snob. Me and the folks own a coffee shop. Im not to big on blue mountain, but we are getting some coffee grown from some priests in jamaica. My espresso, i like plain, but thats cause i pull them short, lends a same kick just less juice, good crema. Breve is my favorite plain. But with a flavoring i like peanut butter mochas, yea the girl drinks. Starbucks sucks, a machiato(sp?) by them is totally wrong. Machiato means marked, so pull a shot and a tablespoon or so of foam and thats it. They dont know how to steam or froth the milk. Does anyone else get chunks of like burnt milk at starbucks? I wish starbucks would open a shop right across from us. We'd kill them. No competition whatsoever. Their cleanliness and techniques with everything are shitty. Granted they do have good coffee if your traveling and dont know a nearby coffee shop, but they have control over such a market, and they inform their customers completely wrong.

perhap/rant over

Guest !!! SUB DUDE

yes starbucks is LAME.

and your foam is only good if you're able to take a spoonfull and turn the spoon upside-down horizontally without the foam falling out. i hate runny froth.

word up perhaps...

My Pops used to run a coffee roastery off the coast of Venezuela.

He was pissed that the 'standard' for specialty coffee now is set by starbucks.

It's like the standard for burgers being set by McDonalds. Oh wait..... ?

You have to offer a better product, at a lower price, with 100% consistency from day to day.

But yeah..... I'm a tea guy now.

Oolong!!!!

yea, working there everyday all summer, all day, has definetly got me off coffee. Dude, it just makes you shit after a while. Im reading this secrets of asian health book, has a lot to say about internal heat and cooling, and how you can stay on balance. your tongue is a good monitor on your internal temp. Too red, your internally warm, and palish, your cool. I like genmaicha personally. Popped rice tea.

Story behind that was genamai was a servant, when he served tea to a warlord, he spilled some rice in it. Warlord had his head cut off, then drank the tea, loved it, and now they celebrate him.

Lapsang souchong is awesome too. Im not bog on white, it is decadent, light and champagne of teas. Eqsquisite. But i want flavor the english way, sweetened, not green tea tho, only black and oolong.

Originally posted by !!! SUB DUDE

yes starbucks is LAME.

Wrong wrong wrong.

No matter where you go, you will be assured that at Starbucks, your coffee will be the same as how you get it at home. At the mom and pop places, the flavor changes with the cafe. One place might be the bomb but the next location could serve you up a total dogshit latte. Starbucks is consistent. I never have to worry about a crappy cup of coffee.

And those mom and pop places.....usually loaded up with would-be intellectuals, assholes perched over their laptops and dickweeds commenting on politics loud enough so that everyone else can hear. Some places you can't even walk into comfortably if you're not "hip" enough. At Starbucks i can stand in line comfortably with joe-sixpack and sally housewife without feeling like i am being sized up by some beret wearing asshole holding a copy of "Catcher In The Rye"

We all bitch about "conformity" "the man" "captialism" but let's face it, consistency in certain avenues in life is a damn good thing and this especially holds true for coffee

Originally posted by LENS

Some places you can't even walk into comfortably if you're not "hip" enough.

see around here.... those are the starbucks.

The small places are way more welcoming.

Just know what you want, leave a tip, and smile.

Obviously I'm thinking of local spots, but the 'uber-cool' places usualy dont keep customers long enough to stay open.

i'm feeling you man. i dont know as much about coffee as you do but i know what i like - i like a dark coffee, preferably a french roast if i can find it. italian roast is alright but a little too acidic for my tastes. i drink it black and i never drink flavored coffee. i like espresso too. usually i drink green mountain but i do have to admit starbucks makes a nice cup. a little espresso is good after dinner too - of course also taken black.

Originally posted by <KEY3>

see around here.... those are the starbucks.

The small places are way more welcoming.

Just know what you want, leave a tip, and smile.

Obviously I'm thinking of local spots, but the 'uber-cool' places usualy dont keep customers long enough to stay open.

this is what its like in vancouver too. the aces on Commercial Drive here are full of hipsters, but they are evened out byt th old greek, italian and european men on their monring coffee and game of lawn bowling.