the chuck palahniuk appreciation thread

l0rdka0s

So im finsihing up my third book, survivor, im moving on to choke today, then lullaby, then monsters or whatever.

This guy is like a modern day vonegut on speed, most excellent.

Ive noticed a few things, he likes the statue of diana.

I must say reading all of his books is a tedious task but im almost there. three downa nd like four to go i think.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by The Leader@Mar 23 2005, 06:51 PM

He said Tim Robbins, but he Meant Tom Robbins. And I suggest Still Life With Woodpecker.

i was a huge fan of "half asleep in frog pajamas". "fierce invalids home from hot climates" was also very good. i still have "jitterbug perfume" to finish though im having a hard time getting into it....

has anyone read his latest?

Choke is probably my favorite fiction. I want to read it once more before the movie comes out. I really wish I had been into Chuck P before seeing Fight Club the movie. I later went on to read the book, but I was annoyed by the fact I had images in my head of Brad Pitt and Edward Norton the whole time I was reading it. I also like how Tyler and Jack met in the book, as opposed to the movie.

Originally posted by LENS@Mar 23 2005, 03:45 PM

^^^

no, that honor goes to lullaby.

i'd like to use that culling song on more than a few people i know.

i think diary is the best one that i've read so far

(choek, fight club, survivor, lullaby) i've been waiting for invisble monsters for like 6 months at the library

Meh.

I really don't think this guys is a great as his hype. He has a very repetative writing style, and his characters are about as deep as a small puddle. everything that occurs from one end to the other is purely for shock value. He seems SO busy writing "clever" plotlines that they are convoluted and not even romotely believeable.

I mean, Choke was like an eight car plotline pile-up at the end.

Stunted and annoying. And my skin CRAWLS when he's compared to Vonegut...

Originally posted by bodice_ripper@Mar 24 2005, 06:55 AM

Meh.

I really don't think this guys is a great as his hype. He has a very repetative writing style, and his characters are about as deep as a small puddle. everything that occurs from one end to the other is purely for shock value. He seems SO busy writing "clever" plotlines that they are convoluted and not even romotely believeable.

I mean, Choke was like an eight car plotline pile-up at the end.

Stunted and annoying. And my skin CRAWLS when he's compared to Vonegut...

I agree with all of this, but I am still able to reall enjoy his writing. I think it is really neat and exciting.

His essays/articles are pretty great as well. He wrote an article about building castles that, though long winded, was really cool. And he interviewed Juliette Lewis and Marylin Manson. Both good.

But I definitely agree with your Vonnegut comment. Although its not quite as bad as if someone compared dan brown to vonnegut...or to someone of great worth.