Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

The Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Daniel Dumielle, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Hua Guofang

Hua Guofang Dirty Dozen Crew

Locally brewed red ale at the Tap House in The Rocks. Great beer, probably could have used just a little less water in the brew as the flavor is fantastic but just a little light for an ale.

IMG_5567.JPG

theprotester likes this.
  2. Hua Guofang

Two beers without the overwhelming citrus flavors of modern IPAs but deep flavor, thick consistency and great balance between hops and malts

IMG_5583.JPG

IMG_5585.JPG

3. One Man Banned

One Man Banned Dirty Dozen Crew

lt-greenblaze-can-2.png?itok=DxdOJvqc.png
    Picked up a pack of pint cans to satisfy the IPA crowd I was having. On the good side, smooth, comes in the 16oz can, and Long Trail is overall a good name. On the other side- another IPA. Meh.

5amshift likes this.
  4. One Man Banned

44ca1afba99d59abce77bf1e843a7800_640x640.jpeg
    These guys were doing good shit, linked up with the Belgians, and continue to do good shit. Not quite sure what they did here but appears the brewers went to Belgium to brew this and then imported it to their brewery in NY. Good shit, sour brown ale at 5%.

5. 5amshift

5amshift Dirty Dozen Crew

6. theprotester

theprotester Moderator Crew

Vehemently opposed to whatever the fuck that is.

7. Hua Guofang

8. Fist 666

Fist 666 Moderator Crew

Yup.
    Also, Uinta fucking sucks in my experience. Each time I try to give them a second/third/eighteenth chance I am barely satisfied at best and disgusted at worst. Honestly, it is my bad for expecting more from Utah...

9. One Man Banned

IDK, I had the Uinta black and it was ok, had something else from them that was not as memorable. I did see the above in the store the other day and passed it by without a 2nd thought because the trend lately seems to be to put lime into gose beers and I just don't find that salt is a good ingredient for beer. Otherwise, maybe I would have briefly considered it had I seen this was a pilsner. If you've ever had a Corona with a lime in it... the above has to be better, doesn't it?!
    Also @Fist 666 Uinta did make a Golden Spike hefeweizen(?), good at least for the label.

10. KILZ FILLZ

KILZ FILLZ Moderator Crew

I thought sours were gonna knock ipa off their throne but I keep seeing them less and less. Maybe just a flash in the pan

11. Hua Guofang

Really annoyed, a head cold kicked in just as I was sampling these last night and I have no idea how good they were as I couldn't taste a fucking thing.

1AwSLo2.jpg?1.jpg
    ZSNjwDD.jpg?1.jpg
    SLPBAnU.jpg?1.jpg

Had this last week and liked it. Really enjoying the brown ales of late.

Hi3b70S.jpg?1.jpg

12. SEKSE1

SEKSE1 New Jack

13. Hua Guofang

Any chance you could just shoot yourself?

14. Hua Guofang

Finally got my shit together and put a brew on.

Was supposed to start off simple with extract and maybe some dry hopping. But noooooo, I couldn't help myself and decided to do a half boil and ended up with a frankenbrew.

1 can of Coopers IPA extract
    200gm of crystal malt
    750gm dextrose
    165gm of LME
    90gm of DME
    30 gm of Amarillo for 60mins
    12gm of Citra and 15gm of Amarillo for 10ins

Problem was that as I was steeping the crystal malt I put the stove on low and got distracted. Came back and found it at 95c, which probably messed it up. Flavour had turned from sweetness to tea flavour (no astringency though). Also, I put the extract into the mash and boiled it for 30 mins and there was a bit of a burnt flavour in it so I added another 250gm of dextrose and made the whole volume of water at 30lt instead of 28lt.

The final flavour seems ok, the initial gravity reading was 1033 (but at 22c and I haven't converted so it may be a little lower). Now the challenge will be keeping it below 20c as the days get warmer. I haven't acquired a fridge yet but will soonish....., was getting back into brewing to save money and I've spent well over AUD$200 just to get set up again!!

ebcePVQ.jpg?1.jpg