Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

The average person swallows eight spiders per year

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by -Rage-, Apr 4, 2002.

1. -Rage-

-Rage- 12oz Loyalist

Claim: The average person swallows eight spiders per year.

Origins: Oh, yuk! It's hard enough to avoid those horrible wriggly things while we're awake, and now we have to worry that they're crawling into our mouths while we sleep? Little Miss Muffett was a piker.

Fear not. This "statistic" was not only made up out of whole cloth, it was invented as an example of the absurd things people will believe simply because they come across them on the Internet.

In a 1993 PC Professional article, columnist Lisa Holst wrote about the ubiquitous lists of "facts" that were circulating via e-mail and how readily they were accepted as truthful by gullible recipients. To demonstrate her point, Holst offered her own made-up list of equally ridiculous "facts," among which was the statistic cited above about the average person's swallowing eight spiders per year, which she took from a collection of common misbeliefs printed in a 1954 book on insect folklore. In a delicious irony, Holst's propagation of this false "fact" has spurred it into becoming one of the most widely-circulated bits of misinformation to be found on the Internet

just be happy it's not this fucker...

[​IMG]

2. shameless self promotion

shameless self promotion 12oz Legend

I wondered what the fuck was crunchy last night, i thought i just dozed off high agian with a cheetoh in my mouth..:eek:

3. Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle Veteran Member

you and your fucking spiders. You're giving me nightmares, fool:mad:

4. ASER1NE

ASER1NE Veteran Member

for some reason im more scared of the smaller spiders than the bigger ones , my friend had a tarantula , and it was fine , but the medium sixe ones that creep along sometimes undetected are freaky .

5. -Rage-

-Rage- 12oz Loyalist

:lol:

Sorry Dazzle. If it helps you any I'll tell you a little story. My pops was chilling in his couch one night and a beetle flew into his ear. The fucker was buzzing around the whole time. I remember hearing my dad scream from upstairs. It's pretty fucked up to hear your 50+ year old father screaming in fear. Anyways my mom drove him to the hospital...I was paranoid all week about insects.

The reason it flew in his ear... My dad was asleep and two reading lights were right above his head. The beetle was attracted to the light and somehow found his ear.

Sweet dreams.

6. ~KRYLON2~

~KRYLON2~ 12oz Loyalist

i fucking hate spiders

7. ceasoner

ceasoner Guest

your a lier..
    its 3 spiders i read it in a bathroom trivia book

8. Zack Morris

Zack Morris Veteran Member

I don't hate spiders though they do creep me out. Anything big enough that it crunches when I step on it is bad news....I should get a tarantula.

9. -Rage-

-Rage- 12oz Loyalist

that's nasty

10. suburbian bum

suburbian bum 12oz Loyalist

Man stop creeping me out, i have lots of spiders living in my room, they fucking creep around, i find them in my shoes when i wake up, under clothes on the floor.i creeps me out at night cause i am always thinkning that there is a pretty fucking good chance there is a spiders under my covers....

11. REGULATOR

REGULATOR Elite Member

i had taco bell last time, im pretty sure i swallowed at least 5 spiders a taco....is the taco bell meat really that bad though??

12. swif1

swif1 Veteran Member

13. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

14. seppuku

seppuku Member

i had the same thing happen to me. except it wasn't a spider. or maybe it was....

15. iCEBERG

iCEBERG Senior Member

spiders are so dope... i admire their patience and planning... they way they get their stuff done...

dont get me wrong, their disgusting, but their dope too, i envy spiders