the art/design route

Giving Tree

so here is the question..

kaws, futura, joker, silo, quite a few of the heads around here are doing some design shit, making snowboard work or doing toys for japan, shoes for nike, etc..

a) what is the general feeling on this? do you guys go cop a pair of futura dunks because you love the artist, or because you collect nikes?

B) with kaws getting metric-fuckloads of money from nike for what i see as a shithole advertising campaign *(see his site)* do you think that as an artist kaws is working the system like a pimp with a strong left?

and the big guy:

c) how did they get to pioneer this? was it through connections, or did they send off their work? was there some sort of phone call and "hey, i've seen your dirt and it's hot... lets do something togeather" or whatever..

i ask because im about to sink into a similar endeavor and really could use some help..

and on a totally side note, can i get the name of whatever company made the 12oz t's??? did they make custom size tags and shit too or does that shit read haynes or junk like that?

giving: college grad 04

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Tesseract

a) I'd buy the futura dunks because they're the best dunks (colorwise) ever made, hands down.

B) Kaws is definatelly milking the shit out of everything, but his work sais nothing to me. He sells, good for him..thats all

c) From buying drugs, to meeting chicks, to selling art, this world is mostly run with connections. Of course there are exeptions, you remember that kid patric jilbert that was on here, he emailed his shit to a bunch of companies and got to work with some.

Guest BROWNer

well since kaws is mr. bigpants these days, i don't feel

bad hating his shit with a passion. fucking terrible. ugh.

everyone else up on that list is highly dope and deserves

every penny. some people are great marketers.

Originally posted by Kr430n5_666

b: rachel

b: i finished sandman

b: my face is rosed from the sun

b: it is hot

d: whaumeen

b: sandman comicz

b: kix for kix

d: COMICS R 4 DORKZ

b: june 9th

b: i dont kare

d: lollercrunch

b: shower now

Hell yes, I just finished reading the Sandman series. Awesome.

Originally posted by Giving Tree

what more info do you need?

im going to be famous soon...

new york for 3 months, and maybe some promotional work come fall.

giving: going gold

nice. good job, man.

the info i needed was more or less how to take advantage of the recent spurt of "graffiti styles" being popular in media as of late.

i really wouldn't mind having some extra cash for canvases and such.

Originally posted by hold the cup

it might not stay something you love

Ill worry about that when i get there, right now i know i love what i do. Besides anything worth doing is gonna have its up's and downs.

Oh, i wouldnt buy the futura dunks. The espo ones on the other hand..

i dont know man like i write illegal and legal shit, i design some clothes and skates for different companies around the city and im taking graphic arts so i dont see anything wrong with it whereas my bro who is straight bombing out of control calls me a artfag so it really doesnt matter

anyone on the tshirt question?

i need t's and hoodies with custom tags... ANY links? ANY PHONE NUMBERS? anything???

for wholesale shirts, check ebay. i don't have any info on custom made tags, nor can i find any. i'll ask a few friends and drop a line

Fucking shit, it can not be that hard to find a t-shirt maker who's willing to do custom tags. Start with a god damned google search. Perhaps you should try american apparel. Perhaps you should walk down to your local screen printing and embroidery shop and ask someone there.

In my opnion, if a highly respected writer wants to make some money off the work they've put in, fine. Seen, espo, futura, the seventh letter, and shepard fairey come to mind. On the other hand, there's too many bullshit graffiti brands floating around a la Wild Style Technicians, kaws, and all that. If you're established and have a marketable name, I say go for it. If you're not, stick to designing things for other people.

Originally posted by casekonly

it's actually pretty hard to find custom tag makers. i did a google search out of curiosity.

yeah i am having a hell of a time finding someone to make the shirts and do the tags in the same place.. not TOTALLY necessary but with only 50 to 100 run shirts i am still smalltime to most everyone..

any knowledge is appreciated..

Originally posted by casekonly

yeah, that's a small run. are the tags that important? you're gonna have to pay alot more for a run that small.

btw: i'm still searching.

yeah tags are that important.

i could do 100 to 200 but 200 would be max, limited edition steezoids.

yeah tags are that important.

i could do 100 to 200 but 200 would be max, limited edition steezoids.

ok, consider doing this:

buy some wholesale shirts on ebay or wherever, cut the tags out (i used to order the beefy't's...they are the thickest) anyway, cut the tags out, go to an embroidery shop, or find one online, get them to embroider onto some of that same material they use for t-shirt tags, i'm sure you can buy that shit from the local wal-mart sewing dept....anyway, here's the cool thing, you can make the t-shirt labels substantially larger and the tags will have a little embroidery on them...that sounds kinda limited edition type ish to me. sounds cool, too. i'd rock one. anyway, yeah. if it's a one or two color embroidery, it can't be that much in the price dept. that way you could run your 50-100 shirts and have a hippy girl sew on the tags...heh.

just throwing some ideas around. probably nothing you haven't thought of already.

peace

Originally posted by Nekro

In my opnion, if a highly respected writer wants to make some money off the work they've put in, fine. Seen, espo, futura, the seventh letter, and shepard fairey come to mind.

On the other hand, there's too many bullshit graffiti brands floating around a la Wild Style Technicians, kaws, and all that. If you're established and have a marketable name, I say go for it. If you're not, stick to designing things for other people.

Since when is Shepard Fairey a highly respeceted writer?

And WST and Kaws are established and marketable....

you should think before you speak or at least

have an idea of what you are talking about.

Guest Pilau Hands

anyone on the tshirt question?

i need t's and hoodies with custom tags... ANY links? ANY PHONE NUMBERS? anything???

have you emailed Raven...?