the abstract thread

theta

http://cleardrear.com/misc/theta.JPG'>

hey im new to the whole graf scene and the 12 oz. forums, so i thought id post a pic of my first actual piece done with paint. its kind of abstract, im pretty inspired by some cats up here in canada like hesk and mentos, so i gave it a go and heres what i came up with. any comments/criticism would be rad, and i was also thinkin it would be cool to make this a thread for any abstract pieces out there. anybody with flix feel free to contribute.

-theta

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Pilau Hands

hesk is crew wit kema

i would say to you, that your favorite "abstract" painters, some i know of, spent years doing straighter letters before developing a style which for some godforsaken reason was later called "abstract"

if you start with straight letters, and work with them for a long time, you'll get a better understanding of your letters and how to manipulate them. you'll also get the can control required to pull off very exact details. if you go straight into abstract without that understanding...it's easy to tell.

good luck

i call most of what mentos and hesk do "abstract" only because it represents the closest thing to abstract movements in the art world outside of graffiti. lots of it really reminds me of the cubist stuff like picasso, and the lines and styles are far from the usual graf wildstyles and throws, so i wouldnt say abstract is too far off base of what it is. thats just my opinion though.

-theta

Technicaly, all graffiti is abstract so you need to find a better label. Abstract means to be different or changed for the effect to make it unrealistic. Unless the letters are as normal you can make it, its abstract.

If the artist adds the slightest thing or molds the original text that that culture creates, they have made it abstract.

Now that I have gone out of my way to make myself sound intelligent, share with us what that thing you made says.

• 4 years later...

Archived