The 12oz. Philosophy Thread

SuburbianBrat

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

this topic has been handled by people smarter than us...read strawson, st. aquinas, or even the logical positivists...

better probably to read those who felt trapped w/ god like wit, or anselm though.

bottom line it's irrelevant...

how about we discuss theasus' ship....

if you have a ship, take it apart, put it back together exactly as it was...is it still the same ship?

-dot.

human beings are gods in the making pretty soon we can live forever, we have the power to kill and destroy as we wish, maybe to some the goverment is your god they make power making desicions that can make or destroy a nation. as well as a group of individuals that can go out and destroy shit that can consume and break the daily life cycles and collaspe the life chain of other animals and plunder resources for our godlike living. pretty soon we can clone any animal or humans as we wish and possible make stronger bigger species. another question i have to ask is that have you ever wondered why man was so primitive for several hundred thousand years but in the last or 2 thousand years our technology and intelligence has blown up so rapidly??? due to scientific studies early man's intelligence was on the decline till that one day we started making the wheel, boats, automobiles, planes, then who knows whos next.

as for my own opinion there is a creator out there but its not in fairy tales or religons its all in the mind how you perceive it.

Guest --zeSto--

if you have a ship, take it apart, put it back together exactly as it was...is it still the same ship?

no.. most certainly not.

As the son of the son of a sailor, I do believe that boats have 'soul'.

Or the nautical counter-part of 'soul'.

but I dig your metaphor.

Guest Dyptheria

individual philosophers have been prepared to argue for or against the existence of God, the topic is highly controversial and a consensus amongst philosophers has not yet been reached. Thomas Aquinas in the thirteenth century, Descartes, in the seventeenth century and Richard Swinburne in modern times are all philosophers who have put forward arguments for the existence of God. However, these arguments have been heavily criticized and other philosophers such as Bertrand Russell and Don Cuppitt have put forward arguments for atheism, which in turn have been criticized.

This shows that philosophy is just an activity to encourage critical thinking and the development of analytical skills. Philosophy does not consist of a fixed body of knowledge that can be used to provide definite answers to fundamental questions. It encourages us to think about issues for ourselves and teaches us how to assess the strengths and weaknesses of arguments, encouraging us not to just accept received opinions on important matters.

So will Philosophy ever be able to give us an answer to the question, does God exist?

Some theists assert that our minds are too limited to be able to prove the existence of God and we should base our belief in God on faith and not on rational, philosophical arguments as these are bound to be inconclusive. It is very difficult to refute the fideist (someone who holds that belief in God should be based on faith alone) from the philosophical standpoint because fideists consider faith to be more important than rational argument and therefore will not be swayed by logic, which is the

philosophers' tool.

god needs to get three way calling, cause when i used to try and call him up the bastards line was always busy....

so now i just call a friend, or a bohdi, or myself, and i always get through...

plus i dont have to pay those outrageous long distance fees and my sundays are free to paint.......

Originally posted by Gnes 37

as for my own opinion there is a creator out there but its not in fairy tales or religons its all in the mind how you perceive it.

Similar view. I think there is a "God" and that every religion and mythology is correct. I think that religion is nothing more than a story that you can relate to in order to have a perception of "God". Therefore which religion you take part in is the religion that makes the most sense to you.

by the way im slowly seeing the western philosophy is a good read and nice to chat about over a beer or a joint, but is non-utilitarian...im finding eastern thought, although difficult for a lazy attention span deprived individual like myself, is more useful in the end.....western thought im begining to think is frivolous....although like i said it keeps me entertained at 4:27 on a monday while i sit an count the clock...so i guess it has some use........

Guest ctrl+alt+del
Originally posted by --zeSto--

yes... and no...

"My Karma ran over my Dogma".... so there!

0098.jpg

Guest SayOne

i got into an argument with my boy when i was high, he said that animals dont talk to each other like we do , you know a set language, just simple communication, i said that babies here us talk and here just clicks and hisses, i explained that humans children just imitate those sounds and until there are older know the meaning behind those sounds. so i said animals do fucking talk you grimey bastard, at the time it sounded real deep probably cuz we smoked 3 blunts of hydro and michucan:crazy:

Guest --zeSto--

^ Animals have a FAR superior means of communications than we do.

I don't think that dolphins have developed sarcasm,

and that eagles know how to be condescending.

blah... humans use are speach for shit talking and gossip and hate.

I think that the animals are better off for not having developped our 'superior' traits.

imagine a dolphin saying

"Hey... why dont you go look in that tuna net for an easy catch...sucker!"

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by dot.

Not if it has a Boston Whaler hull, cause them shits are fucking indestructible. If you do manage to take it apart, you'd probably set off nuclear fission or something and make the world explode. Beer,

El Mamerro

Archived