thanks to impermanence, everything is possible....rob

mental invalid

quote from the buddhist monk - thich nhat hanh

so fit squares into circles this weekend.......

Free Will Astrology

horoscopes for week of July 10, 2003

Aries (March 21-April 19)

Baseball players sometimes use the term "winning ugly." It refers to a game in which they've managed to emerge victorious even though they've made mistakes and performed below their potential. I predict you will soon have occasion to invoke this phrase to describe your own version of an unaesthetic triumph. There's another term I want to arm you with: "ugly ripe." Technically, it's the name of a delicious heirloom tomato whose irregular, bulbous shape sets it apart from the smooth, bland varieties that fill the tomato sections of most grocery stores. In the coming week, it will also apply to the peculiar but juicy quality of your life.

Taurus (April 20-May 20)

I predict that in the next seven days you will receive exactly 22 email advertisements offering to increase your penis size and 22 email ads to increase your breast size. Although you may be inclined to dismiss this as a boring inconvenience, I believe it will be an excellent cosmic omen that confirms what the astrological configurations reveal: a sign that you're primed to express both masculine and feminine qualities in a more intense and yet balanced way. I suppose this possibility may repulse you if you identify yourself as a macho male or a girlie girl. But for most of you, capitalizing on this opportunity will make you smarter and sexier.

Gemini (May 21-June 20)

Philosopher Jean Houston likes to quote a Native American saying that's important for you to hear right now: "When we take one step towards the gods, the gods take ten steps towards us." Here's another way to think about it: There are huge cosmic intelligences whose work is imperceptible to our five senses. They aren't figments of the imagination or sentimental fictions, but actual beings. When we acknowledge their existence and ask for their help, they enjoy responding. More than that: They love to collaborate with our strong intentions.

Cancer (June 21-July 22)

Here's the homework I gave my readers two months ago: "Guess what age you'll be when you finally know exactly who you are." In response, a Cancerian woman named Bridjet wrote this: "I hope I NEVER completely know who I am! I love discovering new mysteries about myself; I love to change as everything else around me changes. It's one of the most beautifully thrilling things about life -- that the only constant is change. If I ever know completely who I am, it'll be a sad day -- because it will mean that I haven't changed in a long time, that I've become stagnant." Bridjet's buoyant words should serve as your inspiration, Cancerian. You're already the zodiac's most frequent and expert changer, and these days you're primed to mutate even more than usual.

Leo (July 23-August 22)

In his only book, the French poet Lautréamont (1846-1870) wrote about holy yearning disguised as mournful complaint. "Whenever you hear the dogs' howling in the fields," his mother told him as a child, "don't deride what they do: they thirst insatiably for the infinite, like you, me, and the rest of us humans. I even allow you to stand at the window and gaze upon this exalted spectacle." Let this passage be the starting point for your meditations in the coming week, Leo. You need to search for the noble purpose that lies beneath the plaintive cries that have been racking your heart.

Virgo (August 23-September 22)

In a horoscope I wrote for you in June of 2000, I reported that for the first time ever, your power animal was a hawk. "Act more like predator than prey for a change," I advised. Now, three years later, you're ready to reprise your hawk imitation, but with even more flair. I hereby authorize you to travel far and wide in search of the delectable nourishment that excites you most. Remember how your inexperience kept you from harvesting the full benefits of your hawkness three years ago? You know better now.

Libra (September 23-October 22)

What makes a song popular? A charismatic singer, high-tech production, and millions of dollars' worth of marketing? In the modern world, yes, but not in other times and places. In his article "Rhythm, Myth and Spirit," David Pulak notes that among the Zuñi Indian tribe, music "is judged by how well it resonates with the experiences of the community." In other words, a good song articulates everyone's unconscious feelings and unverbalized beliefs, thereby creating group solidarity. Your assignment in the coming weeks, Libra, is to use everything -- music, ritual, constructive gossip, parties, pep talks, or whatever works -- to do for your tribe what music does for the Zuñi.

Scorpio (October 23-November 21)

"Dear Dr. Brezsny: Reading your 'scopes lately has felt like finding a roll of hundred dollar bills in a heap of moldy sour cream in a garbage can; like getting a great massage from a cute underwear model in a velvet sanctuary while some jerk with a chainsaw prunes trees outside. How about serving up less paradoxical advice? I'd almost prefer getting a purely bad prediction to this maddening ambiguous stuff you've been serving up. -Scorpio Goddess" Dear Goddess: I'm just reporting the facts, ma'am. You yourself have been like a sleek athlete trying to do what you do best while stuffing your face with doughnuts . . . like a brilliant scholar struggling to read your books in a mirror with one eye closed . . . like a spontaneous kid hoping to convince a humorless octogenarian to play tag.

Sagittarius (November 22-December 21)

Jeanine, a Sagittarius woman I know, likes to compare her lovers to food. Recently she gave me a dissertation on her romantic history. "When I was 21," she said, "I had two guys. One was a pepperoni pizza-type. He was too spicy to enjoy more than once a week. The other guy was like oatmeal, bland and filling. I didn't get tired of him, though on the other hand he wasn't too exciting. Now that I'm 37, my tastes have ripened. I'm not much interested in oatmeal men any more. I could have pepperoni pizza every day." I believe Jeanine's evolution parallels a transition you're going through, Sagittarius. You don't have as much time as you used to for the bland, filling stuff. You need intense flavors more frequently. This applies to every part of you, not just your love life.

Capricorn (December 22-January 19)

Every now and then, you need to get exactly what you want; it is the duty of the cosmos to bring you the thing you have specifically asked for. This is not, however, one of those times. Rather, you're in an astrological phase when it is important for you to give someone you care for exactly what he or she wants; it's your duty to bring that person something he or she has specifically asked for. So choose a deserving soul for whom you will be an angel of perfect generosity.

Aquarius (January 20- February 18)

During the next three weeks, it's crucial that you laugh more while you're working and chortle more while you're driving and giggle more while you're paying bills. In mysterious ways that would take me thousands of words to describe in full, the proper evolution of your long-term dreams requires you to have clownish epiphanies in situations where you've been way too serious. It'll also be important for the mental health of those you care about. In other words, Aquarius, playful abandon will not merely be a pleasant diversion but an essential medicine.

Pisces (February 19-March 20)

In accordance with the astrological omens, Pisces, I invite you to take on an additional job title in the week ahead: beautifier. If you agree to carry out the duties of this role, you will incite gorgeous fun and lyrical mystery everywhere you go. How? Bring scintillating harmony and mischievous grace into your conversations. Sneak a Chagall print onto an unadorned wall. Break into whimsical songs, dispense outrageous praise, ask crafty questions that provoke original thoughts, and point out all the institutions and relationships that are working really well. (P.S. You won't believe how many selfish benefits will come your way if you do this.)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

a reply from another board where i posted the same quote:

Thich Nhat Hanh is an all around awesome human being by the way. Martin Luther King nominated him for the Nobel Peace Prize at one point, I believe.

Among other things, he wrote this wonderful little book called "Being Peace." Reads almost like a children’s book, but is great on a lot of different levels. Part of it concerns the idea that our minds are so cluttered with anxieties and the things that we think are important that we miss the simple pleasures, which, in some respects, are really what it’s all about. There is this beautiful passage in "Being Peace" about washing dishes that I’ll never forget that he uses to illustrate the point.

In the passage, he claims that everybody sees washing dishes as this annoying chore that has to be sped through to get on to The Next Thing. We are so concerned with getting the mundane task over with as quickly as possible that our minds are always focusing other things while we do it, and we are never really consciously in the moment. As a result, we miss out on some inherently pleasant sensations -- the smooth contours of a bowl as you run your hand over it; the warm feeling of water over your hands.

I get the feeling that he has a tremendous ability to derive great pleasure from things that I don’t even notice just by being more aware -- tastes, touches, smells, simply breathing.

A guy could learn from that. I wish I had his discipline.

say what? you go on other boards mental? there's other boards out there?

my weekly contribution...

(putting the monk in monkey business0)

Aries: (March 21—April 19)

Don't take it personally: Someone had to be the cutoff point for who does and doesn't get on the Emergency Earth-Escape Rocket.

Taurus: (April. 20—May 20)

You know you should really stop hurling fistfuls of hamsters out the window of your speeding car, but they're so darn cute.

Gemini: (May 21—June 21)

After weeks of deliberation, you have yet to hear a compelling argument for not beating most of the people you've ever met to within an inch of their lives.

Cancer: (June 22—July 22)

It's looking like they're not going to call you the Double-Dustpan Killer until you kill someone with a pair of dustpans.

Leo: (July 23—Aug. 22)

No one can understand you without first understanding the subtle-but-crucial difference between the terms "all you can eat" and "all you care to eat."

Virgo: (Aug. 23—Sept. 22)

You will finally learn the true meaning of fear this week. First of all, it's not a light minty flavoring.

Libra: (Sept. 23—Oct. 23)

That man who just wrapped a trombone around your neck was Jim Knepper, a Mingus sideman and notorious crank.

Scorpio: (Oct. 24—Nov. 21)

Polaris rising in Scorpio this week is deeply troubling, as it has to be millions of light-years out of position to do so.

Sagittarius: (Nov. 22—Dec. 21)

Your bossiness and predilection for minding other people's business are important parts of being the World's Best Grandma.

Capricorn: (Dec. 22—Jan. 19)

A little bird tells you that someone has a crush on you, but terrible secrets imparted by the giant birds hatched from the sun render this irrelevant.

Aquarius: (Jan. 20—Feb. 18)

The importance of a good night's sleep will be briefly overshadowed by the importance of a good set of shovels and entrenching tools.

Pisces: (Feb. 19—March 20)

You're the kind of person who considers himself open to all kinds of new experiences, as long as they involve eating buffalo wings.

holla~

Guest WebsterUno

yay..Im going to see Santana tomorrow!!!

woo hoo!!

that whole washing dishes

reminds me of when im in a yard..

the nighttime air is so fresh, and

the lil creeks and squeaks that fr8s

make as I walk by, sounds peaceful

as I hear the crunch crunch sound of

the gravel beneath my feet.

Originally posted by WebsterUno

that whole washing dishes

reminds me of when im in a yard..

the nighttime air is so fresh, and

the lil creeks and squeaks that fr8s

make as I walk by, sounds peaceful

as I hear the crunch crunch sound of

the gravel beneath my feet.

that painted a great picture in my mind. i can totally see it and hear the

gravel.

the quote about washing dishes was funny, bc i had just finished

washing em here at work. i spent the next couple minutes

reminiscing over that fact and thinking about all the things that i missed,

and also take for granted. another activity that is sometimes mindless,

is eating. try thinking about everystep of the eating process...

and kilo, i read a lot of the garbage on here, i just dont post much:dazed:

all my horoscopes have proven to be frighteningly accurate within the last few weeks...its really eerie. my mother is into past lives and tarot cards, birth charts and all that creepy ouija board shit...she told me something weird about me the other day...i dont even want to think about her wacky superstitions and predictions...i think theyre all bogus anyways...bad shit isnt going to happen....*knock on wood*....

Guest TEARZ
Originally posted by mental invalid

Leo (July 23-August 22)

In his only book, the French poet Lautréamont (1846-1870) wrote about holy yearning disguised as mournful complaint. "Whenever you hear the dogs' howling in the fields," his mother told him as a child, "don't deride what they do: they thirst insatiably for the infinite, like you, me, and the rest of us humans. I even allow you to stand at the window and gaze upon this exalted spectacle." Let this passage be the starting point for your meditations in the coming week, Leo. You need to search for the noble purpose that lies beneath the plaintive cries that have been racking your heart.

damn. i actually will let that be the starting point for this week's meditations. one of the coolest readings i've ever heard, invoking french poets, sheeyit. thanks roe, you are the homey.

I THIRST INSATIABLY FOR THE INFINITE, BITCHES!!!!

Gemini: (May 21—June 21)

After weeks of deliberation, you have yet to hear a compelling argument for not beating most of the people you've ever met to within an inch of their lives.

hahaha......sooo me........but one time i went too far........t.....:lol:

hey mental. the quote " thanks to impermanence, everything is possible." doesnt make any sense to me. are you sure you got it right? maybe thanks to permanence, everything is possible.. like the permanence of the soul throughout all the your lives.

Leo (July 23-August 22)

Its about time i get one that isnt all bullshit:smiles:

nicio reflect on it a little more bro.......

i think i get it now... since nothing is permanent, its possible for things to change

.ex.because a seed is impermanent, its possible for it to grow into a tree. If the seed was permanent, then it would always remain a seed...

i guess its an optimistic view on impermanence..