Ten Congressmen Sue President Obama Over Libya Mission, War Powers Act

lord_casek

Reps. Dennis Kucinich and Walter Jones continued their bipartisan quest to end the U.S. military’s participation in the conflict in Libya, filing a lawsuit Tuesday in federal court against President Obama to “challenge the commitment of the United States to war in Libya absent the required constitutional legal authority.”

The lawsuit challenges what the lawmakers see as “the executive branch’s circumvention of Congress and its use of international organizations such as the United Nations and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to authorize the use of military force abroad, in violation of the Constitution.”

“With regard to the war in Libya, we believe that the law was violated. We have asked the courts to move to protect the American people from the results of these illegal policies,” Kucinich said in a statement announcing the suit.

The lawsuit is signed by a bipartisan group of members of the House, including Kucinich (D-Ohio), Jones (R-North Carolina), Howard Coble (R-North Carolina), John Duncan (R-Tennessee), Roscoe Bartlett (R-Maryland), John Conyers (D-Michigan) Ron Paul (R-Texas), Michael Capuano (D-Massachusetts), Tim Johnson (R-Illinois) and Dan Burton (R-Indiana).

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

exactly CIL

we did Bosnia. we're in NATO. get over it.

When we invade (full scale) later this summer/early fall, will you retract "we're in NATO, get over it"?

As an aside: It's funny because when Bush did it the liberals were all about shouting it from the rooftops, when Obama

does it "we're in NATO, get over it".

I just wish we had a "end state" when we take military action against someone else.

The United Sates loves going into conflicts with no clear mission. We end up not knowing when we have accomplished our goal and drag things out way too far.

You totally missed the boat, man. Don't you remember? Mission accomplished, bruh.

We did it. We won the war.

IPSMs.jpg

I just wish we had a "end state" when we take military action against someone else.

The United Sates loves going into conflicts with no clear mission. We end up not knowing when we have accomplished our goal and drag things out way too far.

That's the point though.

Or at least, I thought it was. The people who usually start these things have no intention of ever leaving, shall I pull the Dick Cheney quote? Even if our military does eventually back out, the investment into these nations will keep us interested, and financially committed.

You totally missed the boat, man. Don't you remember? Mission accomplished, bruh.

We did it. We won the war.

IPSMs.jpg

Thats right!!! I almost forgot. Since I turned my cable off, I have not been watching Fox News, and I was beginning to start to think for myself. What the hell was I thinking, I have to make sure I get my "Real" news before I start making sense.:lol: :lol: :lol:

For real, while I was sitting in Afghanistan and Iraq, I did wonder what the hell our big "mission" was and hoping it had nothing to do with oil or money for people who already have too much money.

I still do not know what we are doing in Libya.

The lawsuit is signed by a bipartisan group of members of the House, including Kucinich (D-Ohio), Jones (R-North Carolina), Howard Coble (R-North Carolina), John Duncan (R-Tennessee), Roscoe Bartlett (R-Maryland), John Conyers (D-Michigan) Ron Paul (R-Texas), Michael Capuano (D-Massachusetts), Tim Johnson (R-Illinois) and Dan Burton (R-Indiana).

Went to look up which of these Republicans are just partisan hypocrites, and voted Yay on invading Iraq... found 3 of the Republicans were hypocrites. Burton was the only one not in office at the time.

Tim Johnson

Walter Jones - was also one of the idiots that started that "Freedom Fries" thing. To his credit, he did start to oppose the war later on.

Howard Coble

These guys were war hawks then became doves when Obama got in office.

Went to look up which of these Republicans are just partisan hypocrites, and voted Yay on invading Iraq... found 3 of the Republicans were hypocrites. Burton was the only one not in office at the time.

Tim Johnson

Walter Jones - was also one of the idiots that started that "Freedom Fries" thing. To his credit, he did start to oppose the war later on.

Howard Coble

These guys were war hawks then became doves when Obama got in office.

Not that there isn't a point to this, but aren't people allowed to change there minds after a chain of certain events?

I mean, not that this is true, but after Sept. 11th we were lead to believe that Sadaam was directly involved and also had WMD's. Neither are true and we know that now, but Libya and Iraq are like comparing apples and oranges, at least in circumstance.

This isn't just about hating Obama, and making everything seem like that makes the actual issue at hand disappear.

Also, just want to add that I really don't know shit about any of these guys except for Paul and Kucinich.

Did you look into the democrats? That's pretty one sided if you just looked up repubs.

No, I'm confident they voted against it - the majority of the Democratic Congress voted against the war . Like Kucinich. Also, I didn't look up Ron Paul because I was confident he voted against the Iraq War.

No, I'm confident they voted against it - the majority of the Democratic Congress voted against the war . Like Kucinich. Also, I didn't look up Ron Paul because I was confident he voted against the Iraq War.

Check into them for shits and giggles. It won't take very long.

Coble, Y - R-North Carolina

Jones, Y - R-North Carolina

Duncan, N - R-Tennessee

Bartlett, Y - R-Maryland

Conyers, N -D-Michigan

Burton, Y - R-Indiana (didnt check if this was the right guy)

Johnson, Y - R-Illinois

Capuano, N -D-Massachusetts

Kucinich, N - D-Ohio

Paul, N; - R -Texas

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2002/10/10/203425.shtml sauce

Yep - I was wrong on some of the Republicans - a few more voted Yay on Iraq.

But I was correct that all the Democrats voted Nay.

Proof that Democrats are more likely to be consistent and honest with their principles, including going after a Democratic President - while Republicans are a bunch of partisan hypocritical hacks.

• Like 1

See, I do not think both sides do the same stuff. Ok some of them do, but there is distinct differences in the behavior of both sides. I do not trust any of them, but for me Republicans are definitely "do as I say and not as I do" fuckers, while the Dems are more robin hood, although you are still the ones getting robbed.

It is choosing between two evils and I think the republicans are definitely the more evil of the two.

I think it's false equivalency to simply say "both Democrats & Republicans are exactly the same".

You see that sometimes in the media - example; most Republicans might vote against the 9/11 First Responders Health Care Bill, and one or two Democrats might vote against it. Then some media pundit says that both sides are equally at fault for being against it. When it's not true.

Same with Iraq - claiming both Democrats & Republicans were equally at fault for taking us in to the war is dishonest. Most Democrats voted against it. Most Republicans voted for it. Shame on the Democrats that did, but let's not pretend it's 50/50 there.

Being neutral for the sake of being neutral is not being objective. Everything is not going to 50/50, and we shouldn't be afraid to call it out when one side is being the greater culprit than the other.

W-O-W...Thanks to all of you. Fantastic informative read.

Everyone has valid points as well...

I don't think we've formally declared a war since WWII...

No worries...you only have to follow UN charters or NATO or your country's rules if you're a 3rd rate power., once Once our troops go in...they seem to remain...We're still in Germany, Korea, Cuba?...

Iraq, Afghanistan..

LIBYA...Qaddafi. Gahdafi...this dictator/ lunatic has been around since before Jimmy Carter was president.

Didn't Libya recently sign a mega-million dollar OIL deal with Italy???

OIL OIL MORE OIL

War=Economic domination.

Or in the case of Afghanistan....poppy fields..90% of the world's raw materials for heroin/morphine.

Obama is a huge disappointment...he's continuing the Bush W. agenda...Wooosh...Hey!!! There go our civil rights!!! 5 more years of the Patriot Act...Whoosh!!! More tax breaks for the rich!!! Dammit Barrack...sew your cojones back on & give us at least a sliver of the HOPE you promised!!!

More than ever, the Democrats & Republicans are doing the same, just not saying it the same!!!

Good night 12oz...posting on this cell phone has caused teporary blindness.

My best to all.

W-O-W...Thanks to all of you. Fantastic informative read.

Everyone has valid points as well...

I don't think we've formally declared a war since WWII...

No worries...you only have to follow UN charters or NATO or your country's rules if you're a 3rd rate power., once Once our troops go in...they seem to remain...We're still in Germany, Korea, Cuba?...

Iraq, Afghanistan..

LIBYA...Qaddafi. Gahdafi...this dictator/ lunatic has been around since before Jimmy Carter was president.

Didn't Libya recently sign a mega-million dollar OIL deal with Italy???

OIL OIL MORE OIL

War=Economic domination.

Or in the case of Afghanistan....poppy fields..90% of the world's raw materials for heroin/morphine.

Obama is a huge disappointment...he's continuing the Bush W. agenda...Wooosh...Hey!!! There go our civil rights!!! 5 more years of the Patriot Act...Whoosh!!! More tax breaks for the rich!!! Dammit Barrack...sew your cojones back on & give us at least a sliver of the HOPE you promised!!!

More than ever, the Democrats & Republicans are doing the same, just not saying it the same!!!

Good night 12oz...posting on this cell phone has caused teporary blindness.

My best to all.

Apparently, Obama thinks that the War Powers Act gives him complete control. This fall

we'll see.

I do not think we are at war. All Libya is, is the US supporting NATO, regardless of how futile it is.

This is well within the War Powers Act since there are limited amounts of our personnel involved. We do not even have a battalions worth of personnel involved.