Tell Me Why...?

JadedGirl

So i hear everyone talking about places they WOULDNT write, (churches, memorials, nature, etc...) and i want to know what makes those places different then walls, buses, trains, etc...

i had this talk with my mother tonight...and she asked me what the difference was to me. anywhere in public is someone elses property, do you not write on it because it has significant meaning (history, religion, etc) but what about walls of buildings (people own businesses), or scratch tags on the bus? trust me, i hate mbta just as anyone, but either way, its still writing on someone elses things...

shit, i do it too...guess those places are a way of justifying the "socially bad" things i do!!!

just wondering what everyone else has to say about it!

much love

<*JadedAngel>*

:P

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i dont hit things that mean a little more to the public. people can give a fuck about that mailbox etc...but when some idiots paint thier church...tag their cemetery, tag the statue in the middle of the park they get pissed and they notice. same goes for hitting a resturant or a house...it heats the people who live there. tag on things where people already are aware of graff. all citys already know and hate graffiti...so go ahead and hit that mailbox...u wont be making any new enemies...but tagging on a house or sumthing you never know. Mabel teng never started her graff crusade untill her store front was hit...just sumthing to think about..we mite have avoided a chuck limbert

all this just has to do with morals and not being a dumbass and making everything ugly like i said b4 YOU WANT TO CONTROL YOUR CITY NOT DESTROY IT if you go around destroying shit THAT is vandalism.... you dont do it on churches out of respect its toys goin around writing on things like not necessarily churches and then everyone gets the impression graff is vandalism and there is no aspect of art or expression.......

Guest Handjob

This is kinda hard to explain, but I know what I can and cannot write on. My life deals very much with Karma, and if I can write on something with a clear concience (sp?) and walk away, then I feel fine about it. I mainly paint trains now, tho, and I don't think I'm hurting anyone at all...

You just have to be aware of what you're doing... if you know deep down that its stupid, then fuck it, don't do it.:p

I hope I don't get labelled some sort of "New Age Hippie" for this...

Originally posted by sect one

all this just has to do with morals and not being a dumbass and making everything ugly like i said b4 YOU WANT TO CONTROL YOUR CITY NOT DESTROY IT if you go around destroying shit THAT is vandalism.... you dont do it on churches out of respect its toys goin around writing on things like not necessarily churches and then everyone gets the impression graff is vandalism and there is no aspect of art or expression.......

graffiti is vandalism bucko. legal eagles get no kool-aid

i dont write on churches or memorials because some things are just sacred, im not religious but i believe in spirituality. i dont hit nature because i have a respect for the earth, i dont litter(except for cans and gloves). everything comes from nature i would rather give back to it than take away from it.

i do write on public property and larger business etc. because i dont believe in their idea of property and ownership.

i do write on smaller businesses(only the backs) and such(trucks) sometimes because i condradict myself sometimes and maybe the spots too good to pass up.

i do go out to fuck shit up, but not to fuck people up

Yes I think that graffiti is vandalism. But I think that leaving it at that oversimplifies it. I think that you have to have a conscience even as a writer. I know that I try to tag strategically. To kind of have reasons for what you do. Running around like a drunk monkey writing on everything doesn't really do anything positive. Writing can be positive if you do it right. I try to apply method to my madness. That's my 2 cents.

I use common sense, and the morals I have developed. Which arent that good since i write on peoples property. But I feel by not writing on churches, cemetarys, hobos, and the elderly, I maintain a few morals that make me feel graffiti is ok.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont mean to be an asshole;Im and asshole to be mean.

Public property i think is fair game for the most part(not churches and cemetaries) but chain store fronts(I would love to bomb the front of this new GAP that just opened near me) and shit... i stay away from private residences and cars for the most part because i consider my writing as getting a message out and rebelling against the system ..I dont wanna rebel against my neighbors car or his house...i stay away from grassroots stores and shit because they are community oriented. trains and all else is pretty much all good.

this may sound corny but there is a double standered in our graff society.i think that the older and wiser you get the more you understand that hitting things like churches,cars,peoples houses is not cool and will not get you the kind of response that hitting a bus or a rooftop will get you.someones house and car they own but a bill baord(for example)is owned by our enemy corporate america whos only goal is to extract money any way they can outa our pockets through hidden finance charges and cultural expliotation!sorry for the soap box!if you think about it you own half the city anyway cause you pay taxes..so half of that is yours!

yo jadedgirl are you that girl jade? haha sounds stupid but i just wanna know if you are i saw of a picture of you smoking a blunt with buckshot shorty haha phat flick over at get a lifes house.

oh and about the thread topic i'd say you just gotta realize how bad your affecting someone when you write on their property and also how good or bad your making the art of graffiti look ,like you dont want a priest to be outside with a bucket of roller paint buffing his church when hes supposed to be preaching mass and helping peoples lives, but on the other hand who gives a fuck if some bum who owns a liquor store has to replace his windows cause i was drunk and dont even remember destroying them . its all about passing time in the most creative and funny way as possible and if other people like it too then fucking great.

just dont write it how i wrote it.

• 3 months later...

everything owned or dealing with the government is fair game.

same goes for huge corporations.

anything that is independently owned like, stores, houses, cars, etc. should be left alone (unless the owner is cool with it or it adds to the ambiance, you know what i mean)

churches and cemetaries are a definate no in my book. also, i think other peoples street art, not other graffiti, should be left alone. i've seen many a community mural with shitty-ass tags and throwies over it. but when you go over or cross them out, they get a tissy-fit.

just use your best judgement, that's all.

There are no rules!

Really, each person has to draw their own line between what's acceptable and what's not. As a person, you have to decide what you feel comfortable doing. And as a writer you have to decide if you are going to conform to the standards of conduct that have been laid out before us by elders. I think a reason why people don't tag homes, churches or cars is because they don't want to be ostracized from the graff community....honestly. Even within a non-conformist, non rule-abiding subculture, there is still a great deal of conformity and need to be accepted.

For good reason, it's been taught and ingrained in all writers that certain things should left alone. Tagging churches carries a heavy burden of being a hate crime, because of so many malicious acts on places of worship throughout time.

Paint for your own reasons, but do so with knowledge and without ego.

Guest willy.wonka

ill say it once and ill say it again

taggin has nothing to do with respect...that part is up on you..

i'll be damned if i hit up a church....

Archived