Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Tell Me Why...?

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by JadedGirl, Nov 24, 2001.

1. JadedGirl

JadedGirl New Jack

So i hear everyone talking about places they WOULDNT write, (churches, memorials, nature, etc...) and i want to know what makes those places different then walls, buses, trains, etc...

i had this talk with my mother tonight...and she asked me what the difference was to me. anywhere in public is someone elses property, do you not write on it because it has significant meaning (history, religion, etc) but what about walls of buildings (people own businesses), or scratch tags on the bus? trust me, i hate mbta just as anyone, but either way, its still writing on someone elses things...

shit, i do it too...guess those places are a way of justifying the "socially bad" things i do!!!

just wondering what everyone else has to say about it!

much love
    <*JadedAngel>*
    :p

2. uh and yes

uh and yes New Jack

i write on people's things...
    not god's things... churches, memorials, and nature are his. not mine.

i am not even religous.... fucks me.

3. wetgal925GMP

wetgal925GMP New Jack

i write on everything but churches semetaries and other places like that out of respect to the dead and loved ones.. almost for the same reason why i don't write on my moms house or scriber on her windows ... there are just some places that you don't do and they are some of them!!!!!!!

4. REGULATOR

REGULATOR Elite Member

i dont hit things that mean a little more to the public. people can give a fuck about that mailbox etc...but when some idiots paint thier church...tag their cemetery, tag the statue in the middle of the park they get pissed and they notice. same goes for hitting a resturant or a house...it heats the people who live there. tag on things where people already are aware of graff. all citys already know and hate graffiti...so go ahead and hit that mailbox...u wont be making any new enemies...but tagging on a house or sumthing you never know. Mabel teng never started her graff crusade untill her store front was hit...just sumthing to think about..we mite have avoided a chuck limbert

5. sect one

sect one Elite Member

all this just has to do with morals and not being a dumbass and making everything ugly like i said b4 YOU WANT TO CONTROL YOUR CITY NOT DESTROY IT if you go around destroying shit THAT is vandalism.... you dont do it on churches out of respect its toys goin around writing on things like not necessarily churches and then everyone gets the impression graff is vandalism and there is no aspect of art or expression.......

6. Handjob

Handjob Guest

This is kinda hard to explain, but I know what I can and cannot write on. My life deals very much with Karma, and if I can write on something with a clear concience (sp?) and walk away, then I feel fine about it. I mainly paint trains now, tho, and I don't think I'm hurting anyone at all...

You just have to be aware of what you're doing... if you know deep down that its stupid, then fuck it, don't do it.:p

I hope I don't get labelled some sort of "New Age Hippie" for this...

7. Dry Bones

Dry Bones New Jack

graffiti is vandalism bucko. legal eagles get no kool-aid

8. wetgal925GMP

wetgal925GMP New Jack

////// very true but if we respect some places and things then getting caught for something wouldn't be as bad

but if people all over just tagg all over shit like this then people will think we are all just a bunch of kids that have no respect for anything and not care see what i mean?

9. Raiser

Raiser Junior Member

i dont write on churches or memorials because some things are just sacred, im not religious but i believe in spirituality. i dont hit nature because i have a respect for the earth, i dont litter(except for cans and gloves). everything comes from nature i would rather give back to it than take away from it.
    i do write on public property and larger business etc. because i dont believe in their idea of property and ownership.
    i do write on smaller businesses(only the backs) and such(trucks) sometimes because i condradict myself sometimes and maybe the spots too good to pass up.

i do go out to fuck shit up, but not to fuck people up

10. dai

dai Senior Member

i paint whatever i feel needs to be painted. i won't paint historical monuments and schools and i won't etch.

11. sect one

sect one Elite Member

ahhhhh dai you respect those things yet you paint o nchrches -sigh- and to the other guy who quoted me ... "in the public eye, there is a difference between art and vandalism." ... and thats what i meant........

12. Sekin

Sekin New Jack

Yes I think that graffiti is vandalism. But I think that leaving it at that oversimplifies it. I think that you have to have a conscience even as a writer. I know that I try to tag strategically. To kind of have reasons for what you do. Running around like a drunk monkey writing on everything doesn't really do anything positive. Writing can be positive if you do it right. I try to apply method to my madness. That's my 2 cents.

13. Intangible

Intangible 12oz Legend

I use common sense, and the morals I have developed. Which arent that good since i write on peoples property. But I feel by not writing on churches, cemetarys, hobos, and the elderly, I maintain a few morals that make me feel graffiti is ok.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I dont mean to be an asshole;Im and asshole to be mean.

14. NOVAGIRL

NOVAGIRL Member

my boy bombed on this church by his fuckin house and he wanted to write AMEN next to it and wrote AMEM instead...he's hellbound now...

and yes i got the flik...

SATAN RULES (as i throw the devil horns)

15. Nero1

Nero1 New Jack

Public property i think is fair game for the most part(not churches and cemetaries) but chain store fronts(I would love to bomb the front of this new GAP that just opened near me) and shit... i stay away from private residences and cars for the most part because i consider my writing as getting a message out and rebelling against the system ..I dont wanna rebel against my neighbors car or his house...i stay away from grassroots stores and shit because they are community oriented. trains and all else is pretty much all good.