Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

telecine converters, etc

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by casekonly, Mar 14, 2005.

1. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

so, i'm in the market for a telecine converter...from 8mm/super 8 to digital format type ish. i'm not really up on shit like that, and i've seen all sorts on ebay...from $30 bullshit boxes you rig your video camera up to to more expensive looking machines...anywhere from $70-$400 bones for some of these deals.

i honestly don't know where to start.

here's the deal, though. i recently got a nice capture card for my computer and did a little home video editing of some old super 8's and such that my grandparents took of the family back in the day. it had been converted to video tape a while back and i wanted to convert it to digi and add some music, do some minor editing, etc. everyone thought so highly of it that they suggested i start a business doing such things. i'm not shy with the video editors (avid, adobe, etc) nor am i a noob with sound editing software, so i thought i would give it a shot.

off to buy a brand spanking new dvd burner now...any advice from some of you visual media people would be very helpful....

key, i know you can help me a bit. i'll hand over ms. alba if you do.

2. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

How did I know there'd be a joke about Ms.Key-Abla?

Dont buy a telecine. Just find a place that does the best transfer
    for the best price and use them. The key to this biz is to buy what
    you need, and outsource what you can. A telecine isn't going to be
    worth that much to your 'company'. I'd suggest that if you want to
    so low-end home video for people, buy a stock graphics library
    and use it to raise the 'production value' for your clients.

3. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

4. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

thanks, key. ms. key-alba is on her way to canada. i shipped her 3 day ground. she might be a bit bruised, but i doubt you'll mind much.

i've got all the hollywood fx packs, pinnacle studio, avid studio, sony's vegas video, premiere, etc... that i can handle.

what i prefer to use is whatever kind of mood i'm in. mostly premiere. sometimes i go as low as using 'mediastudio pro' if i feel lazy.

that digital juice stuff must be free somewhere online. easy enough...them nerdisms...w00t.

anyhow, if you suggest not buying a telecine (unless i can get a damn good deal, i suppose...i mean, if i run into a $1k telecine for $50, i'm jumping on it) i won't. maybe just stick with editing together peoples wedding, baby, etc tapes and throwing them onto dvd.

i'm guessing you're suggestiong building a good relationship with a company that has their own telecine deal and doing the 'you scratch my back, i'll scratch yours' deal.

thanks for the little bit of knowledge and advice. got any more insight you'd like to share? is this a lucrative business for one man?

pricing?

5. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

6. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

bribes always work!

I guess my main point is that unless you are getting into the
    telecine business, as opposed to the editing angle, dont waste
    your money on something that isn't your main focus. I produced
    an instructional Karate Kata DVD for my Dojo and I 'hired' my
    buddy who's a pro camera operator to do the work. I'm sure
    I could have done it myself, but you have to keep from stretching
    yourself too thin. It's totally possible to start out the one man shop
    with nothing more than 'archival projects' where you take old media
    and clean it up, then repackage it on DVD for old people to torture
    their grandkids with. After yuo've proven that you can make that
    kind of a project work, find a good camera guy and shoot it yourself.
    Then you can actually charge real money (by adding gear rental to your costs)

to be honest.... a decent camera and a half-decent lighting kit will make way more money than an archaic telecine.

7. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

nice! thanks, man. after reading your first post a couple of times over (had to let it sink in and such...it was 7:00a.m.) i decided on a company name. funny thing is, i was going along the same lines as you were just talking about..."digital memories" type ish....custom menu's, vhs to dvd transfer, etc. neat little junk that will easily impress the dumb (and old).

i'm thinking starting prices will be affordable to most (gah! i hope)
    maybe $30 ($29.95) for the first copy and then a few bones here or there for each additional. with add-in costs if they want a favorite song on the title screen, custom pic, etc...goofy shits.

i already printed up a little sheet with 8 little adverts on it, black and white, cheap start-up deal. copy shop, meh.

anyhow, i'll have more questions and i will bribe you more. thanks for the help key.

-casek- trying his entrepreneurial skills like whoa.

8. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i could make a comment about the pic above, and i was about to, but no...use your imagination

9. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

good luck!

and the beauty... once you create an editorial 'format',
    you can just swap out one persons video and name for another.
    Then boom... the next one is done, then the next, then the next.....

10. casekonly

casekonly Veteran Member

an editorial format, eh? like a marker every five minutes, chapter selections at specified intervals, etc? dope!

thanks a ton, key. i hope this works out. if there are ever credits involved (i'll charge extra for that shit) i'm going to include 'zesto and ms. alba' in 'em.